close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 20 Kboom with DT ammo

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by Rich V, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Rich V

Rich V
    Expand Collapse

There is a thread on ARFCOM where an early gen G20 had a serious KB using DT ammo.
    Link to thread:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1253136_My_10mm_KaBoom.html&page=1

I can't say what was at fault but looks like some very over pressure rounds + the generous chamber relief on the early G20s.

I have a very early G20 and have never seen a case bulge like this poor guy had even with some hot hand loads I've made (155gr @ 1475 f/s).

Food for thought, stop when you see a problem don't keep shooting!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. PBRLite

PBRLite
    Expand Collapse

Fully Supported Lonewolf Barrel=Problem Avoided.

3. Kegs

Kegs
    Expand Collapse
    Ol 8 fingers ;)

Bingo!

4. G29SF

G29SF
    Expand Collapse

Considering DT velocities are below what is published, I have my doubts on that KB. Not saying it didn't happen (of course it did), however there are too many unknowns.

I have shot just about all of DTs varieties currently offered (just got into 10mm this year) with a stock G29 barrel (which has less support than the G20). Of course mine is a Gen3... so I don't know if there are barrel issues between Gen2 and Gen3.

5. danattherock

danattherock
    Expand Collapse

#5 danattherock, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. Rich V

Rich V
    Expand Collapse

If you look at the photos posted by the OP and others in that thread you can see that the early G20 barrels had a much more "generous" chamber relief than do the newer G20s. Glock clearly reduced the amount of chamfering on the G20 over the years.

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

8. Rich V

Rich V
    Expand Collapse

One kaboom two posts, that is the same guy as the one on ARFCOM. Thanks for pointing that out.

#8 Rich V, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  9. attrapereves

attrapereves
    Expand Collapse

I'm about ready to get into reloading for my G29. I intend on using 180grn bullets for range use. What is a safe velocity to stay under so I don't risk damaging my gun?

The Georgia Arms ammo I've been buying is loaded around 1100, but I'm sure that's not quite 10mm full power.

Would 1200fps be adequate and still not risk damaging my gun?

10. danattherock

danattherock
    Expand Collapse

11. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Depends on the powder used. Longshot and Accurate #9 should be fine at those levels. I would not try to hot rod a faster burning powder like Titegroup to those velocities. But yes, 1200 is warm but doable for a 180.

The above is true for jacketed bullets. Cast lead would not be my first choice to try to run at 1200.

12. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

You can safely get up to 1300fps with 800x...

13. 21Carrier

21Carrier
    Expand Collapse
    Until I Gota 29

I don't care what that guy says, SOMEONE messed with that chamber. I noticed something odd before I ever saw the chamber. When I saw the first picture of that smiled brass, it looks odd. Usually, Glocks produce a curved, SMILE when firing over pressure rounds. That one had some cloverleaf shape to it. SOMEONE hit that barrel with a Dremel. The marks are blatantly obvious. You can see the grinder marks. Sounds like over charged ammo combined with a messed up chamber. Since DT no longer makes rounds with 165gr Gold Dots, his ammo must have been old. Back then, DT actually loaded hot. Not no more.

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

I agree...

There are definitely chatter marks where someone has allowed the dremel head to bump around on the ramp and going into the chamber.

May never know for sure, but it is a truly sloppy looking ramp and chamber.

Y'all know about my famous double charge factory load a few years ago. But man I love showin that bad boy.....:supergrin: OUCH ! :wow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My niece who is an SVU in Ohio, showed these pics to some of the guys on the firing line just before a shooting practice session (for a joke) and they lost focus ! haha.

Just to show what can happen in the wide world of guns and double charges...

Stay safe boys. ;)

CM

15. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe
    Expand Collapse

What was the temperature?
    What altitude were you at?
    Humidity?

#15 MinervaDoe, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  16. 21Carrier

21Carrier
    Expand Collapse
    Until I Gota 29

Damn CM!!! I had no idea that was your gun! I have always loved that picture! It looks like some sort of dinosaur. I'm glad you're still with us. That one looked BAD!!!

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

LOL !

Man it "almost" made gettin stomped on by an old knot headed bronc seem like a Sunday picnic. (not really but it did smart) ! :wow:

Naw, it hurt like the dickens and my hand was about every color of the rainbow, and I took some sharpnel to the face, and a good deal of parts were never found. Other than that, it wasn't bad ! :supergrin:

Does sorta look like T-Rex now that ya mention it....

Everytime I read a Kaboom thread I go and blow off the dust and post these pics. I got more, but these usually do. At least Winchester gave me a brand new G20SF out of the deal. This one that blew was NOTan SF.

Lesson learned. Shoot my own hand loads, and NEVER buy a used barrel from someone at a gun show 'for a spare' !!! It's the one that blew. Spare tires for the truck are great and needed. No more spare barrels for anything, unless they are all AM (and they are now).

Winchester never knew for sure if it was their round (silver tip) or a weakness (long story) in the chamber. We believe it was the latter, but will never know. Good folks they are, they just took the blame and gave me a new gun and 3 high cap mags, all straight from Glock. Stetson off to WW !

Well, I'll put the pics away, and save 'em for next time. Always someone who has not seen them, 'although' they have made their way all over the internet forums by other folks 'borrowing/sharing them,' over a few years. Ha.

Stay safe amigo !
    Good shooting..

CM

18. TreyG-20

TreyG-20
    Expand Collapse
    Second2None

I still don't believe that it's the barrel as I have now seen four different gen 2 g20 chambers including mine an they all look the same. It had to be the ammo overloaded. Unless Swampfoxammo doesn't really load his ammo hot. Because my gen 2 has gone though quite a few of his rounds and this has not been an issue and my barrel is chamber is the same as the guys who just had a kb.

19. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Not to argue the point, but getting to 1300 fps with 800-X means exceeding max manufacturer load data by a decent margin. Guys are doing this with ok results (not me with 800-X. Pressure signs way before that). The point I am making is that for new reloader, do not expect to get there without exceeding maximum load data for any powder. Not a good practice for new loaders. Hornady data is far greater than Hodgdon data, and even their max charge falls short of 1300.

Buffalo Bore and Swamp Fox are both exceeding 1300. They are hot. Both benefit from pressure testing equipment that us handloaders do not have.

Responding back to the question from mattwestm's question about 1200 fps in his short barreled G29: yes 1200 is doable. I would not suggest that 1300 is workable for everyday range work for a new loader.

20. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans