close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 20 For Hunting Deer

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by HammerG26, Sep 2, 2013.

1. HammerG26

HammerG26
    Expand Collapse

I am picking up a Glock 20 Gen4 shortly - mostly for a camping / hiking gun, but also thought about hunting with it. Anyone done any hunting with it? Can it support the "Buffalo Bore" cartridges? I tried hunting a .357 in the past, only shoot out to my proficiency level (9/10 inside a coke can)... so not worried about range...
    Thoughts?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Glockworks

Glockworks
    Expand Collapse
    Ready/Aim/Fire

I'm also thinking about getting one of these and starting my 10mm journey. Hickock45 on youtube has done I think are 2 (3?) videos on the G20/29.

#2 Glockworks, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Remington 870

Remington 870
    Expand Collapse

I just got a glock20 sf and plan on hunting with it that is if I can find full power ammo. That appears to be a task! Underwood is always out of the good bullet grains.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. shanny161984

shanny161984
    Expand Collapse

3 weeks, and I'll post pics of mine, plan on taking a doe with stock g20 running 200 gr hp by underwood

5. Brian Lee

Brian Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Drop those nuts

I'm getting a Thompson Center Encore pistol for hunting & putting a scope on it, and the G20 is going to stay in the holster as a backup/defense gun, which Arizona now allows on hunts.

6. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Mine may go out this fall. I have hunted with a .41 mag loaded DOWN to 1,150-1,200 fps with a 210 gn KSWC so I see no reason not to use the G-20 appropriately loaded.

7. Stephenthesuave

Stephenthesuave
    Expand Collapse

I have a 6" KKM in mine and a Leupood Deltapoint on top. Put oversized controls on it for manipulation with thicker gloves. I just started hunting with it last year and didn't get a shot at anything because I only got to hunt one day of gun season in Ohio.

This year I plan to hunt the whole week and I'm sure Ill shoot something with it. I'm pretty accurate to ~45 yards now (4" group), as always I need more practice.

I'd suggest the Gen3 for the better recoil spring options without resorting to an adapter.

8. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

For what it's worth, the stock Gen4 recoil springs handle recoil very well. My hot 10mm loads of a 180gr at over 1350 (or 200 @ 1250) cycles just fine and doesn't really throw brass that far. The added grippiness of the Gen4 is a plus too.

9. Big Bird

Big Bird
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I've hunted with my G20 using a KKM barrel and handloaded Doubletap 200 grain hard cast bullets. I prefer hard cast bullets for hunting and have killed many deer over the years with .45 and .44 mg handloads.

The two meat does I shot with my G20 were complete penetration side to side and both ran a dozen yards before dropping. I've shot them with .375 H&H and had them run farther. I tend to kill a good number of meat animals casually while I'm out clearing trails or checking food plots etc. When I hunt for recreation I do it with a longbow and wood arrows or a flintlock rifle.

Most pistol rounds will function like simple punch presses in animals. You don't tend to get the traumatic damage you will see with a highpower rifle. Course, that's nothing new--the Germans figured out the parameters of somkeless bullet wounding physics a hundred years ago.

#10 Big Bird, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. BCGUNCOLL

BCGUNCOLL
    Expand Collapse

I have a gen3 glock 20. i worked up some 200gn hp/xtp loads for hunting. i chronied them at 1174fps. i got a shot on a small doe 2 years ago. i was in a tentblind in an old clearcut. the deer wasnt 15yards from me when i shot it. hit her behind the front shoulder and ended up almost coming out the other front shoulder. she vaulted straight up in the air about 3 feet and plopped down spreadeagle on the ground dead as a doorknob. im a 10mm believer. :cool:

11. 21Brutus

21Brutus
    Expand Collapse

Count me in as well...G20 GEN4 FDE with a 6" Lone Wolf barrel shooting Buffalo Bore 220gr hardcast...unless Underwood gets some in before season starts. Knocking down the 8" gong at 50 yards this weekend so I feel good about accuracy, but my shot will be within 30 yards if the does behave...,