close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 19 with stuck slide ...need help :(

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dougja, Jan 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dougja

dougja

Feb 22, 2009
    I was shooting my G19 today and it was shooting well until it "locked up". By that I mean the slide locked in the close position and I can't get the slide to pull back. I have a feeling a casing is stuck within preventing me from moving the slide. Can someone advise how I can "open" up the gun or get the slide off other than the standard field strip method. Field strip method is out of question because the slide won't give a millimeter.
    Very suprised this happened because I have never had the slightest problem with this gun. Oh well, I am sure there is a fix , probably not too hard. Just thought I would ask the forum before I bungle it further thru experimentation.

Thanks!

2. G19lover

G19lover

Dec 20, 2009
    did the round fire? If so , put the end of the slide on piece of wood (not the end of the barrel) using your hand give it a good solid tap to try to push the slide rearward.

3. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Sep 1, 2005
    NW IN
    Yep, drop the mag if you can and do what he said above. FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER... catch the slide on the end of a table or something so the barrel will clear it and give it a good "whack".

4. dougja

dougja

Feb 22, 2009
    Yes, a round fired but then not one after, which leads me to believe the case did not extract and a cartridge did not move into place. And by the way, the magazine did drop. When it happened I gave it a few gentle taps to try to free it up , I am just a little concerned about using force, experience shows force works sometimes and breaks things at other times. I will try it as you suggest.... a good solid tap. It can wait till tomorrow.... perhaps some other ideas will be posted.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    1. Point the pistol in a safe direction.

2. grasp the rear of the slide with your weak hand and hold on tight.

3. smack the back of the grip with your strong hand

6. First treat that gun as if it has a live round in it, In the future I would noty recomend leaving the range with out getting it opened to confirm no live round, A RO at a range is supposed to help you with this. And the majority of them have the exspereance to get it done.

What modifications have been done to the gun (stock barrel or other)

Are all of your 3 pins still in place

is it in a good battery position or does it look like the barrel is a skew

the magazine that came out did it have more rounds in it? is all of the follower stilll in place

If you stick a bore light up the mag channel does anything look out of place

7. G19lover

G19lover

Dec 20, 2009
    Is the trigger in the fired position? If so then the cartridge never attempted to extract and most likely has been fired. Stick a pencil down the barrel and mark with your thump how far it went, then pull pencil out and lay along side of slide and see how how it went down, is it all the way back to the rear of the barrel? Unfortunately I don't think you will have many options other than to whack the firearm to loosen it. I had this happen once to mine. It was the only way to release it.

8. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Sep 8, 2000
    DFW Area, TX
  9. 1006

Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia
    It sounds like it has a live round in it.

The DannyR method above works well.

10. dougja

dougja

Feb 22, 2009
    i was using my reloaded ammunition. i fully expect that a live round is in it, but honestly i dont know

11. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

Sep 1, 2005
    NW IN
    Make sure you come back and let us know how you work it out. You're a new member so you might have signed up for help on just this one issue....but now you're commited to tell us the details. :supergrin:

How did you unlock the slide?
    Live round?
    Ammo damaged?
    Damage to your gun?

12. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Mar 20, 2003
    MI
    Once you get the slide open I would check your reloads. use your barrel as a gage. Round should drop in with no restrictions. Check your case for proper resizing and crimp. You might not have enough. If case sizing is not the issue, keep crimping until the shell drops in.

13. JohnJak

JohnJak sadly spent

Mar 7, 2005
    Michigan
    As my dear friend Michael Jackson once said "Just Beat It".

14. dougja

dougja

Feb 22, 2009
    Ok, this was really an experience. It did have a live round in it! I'm a little embarrased to admit it here but it did fire while I was attempting to free the slide. No harm was done other than my pride. The trigger was always in the loaded round condition but several times pulling the trigger produced no results. So after a series of bangings and then a trigger pull it decided to shoot (in a safe direction, but caught me by suprise). The slide was still locked in place, so I grab it by the slide with one hand and whacked with the other on the grip. Free at last, it gave way and revealed the fired shell casing in the barrel. Sorry I don't know the terminology , is it the feedramp ? Anyways, I used a pocket knife and pried it out. So all I have now is the casing, it's an RP headstamp. Not sure I have enough "evidence" to find the error of my ways in reloading.
    That's my story, glad it's over. Thanks for all the great advice and support.

15. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Mar 20, 2003
    MI
    I think you reload wasn't sized or crimped properly. Slide was out of battery and not fully closed. Banging made it go into battery and fire.

16. G19lover

G19lover

Dec 20, 2009
    I think Chaney got it right, not sized or crimped right and didn't fully lock closed. WOW, glad you had the gun pointed in a safe direction! Pays to pay attention. The one that stuck on me was also a reload. Who knows why it happens, could be a freak occurence. Its the only one I had lock a slide in 30 years of reloading. Doesn't make it much better when it happens but crap happens. At least now if it ever happens you know how to go about unsticking.................just be damn careful!

17. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

Dec 2, 2008
    What did you shoot? (when pointing in a safe direction)

18. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Sep 8, 2000
    DFW Area, TX
    Well, it's late to say anything now, but my guess was going to be that there was a live round in the chamber and that it was slightly oversized. I agree with ChaneyD and G19lover.

It being oversized kept the gun from going fully into battery and that's why it didn't initially fire. The fact that it was oversized also meant that the round was jammed forcibly into the chamber under the force of the recoil spring which kept the slide from opening easily.

Your hammering on the slide finally pushed it into battery and allowed the trigger pull to fire the gun.

You need to figure out what's wrong in your reloading process or you're due for a repeat performance sooner or later.

In the future, it's probably best to clear the gun at the range if at all possible.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  19. dougja

dougja

Feb 22, 2009
    I didn't tell my wife, so I think I better stay mum on the forum:whistling:
    Let's just say it was pointed in a safe direction and I recovered the bullet. However, it was not how I planned things. Only thing hurt was my pride (again).