Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

glock 19 vs Taurus PT92

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mustachio, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mustachio

Jun 28, 2002
    I know that they are different classes of guns, but I have a question.
    What do you think of the quality, performance and value of the Taurus PT92?

If you compare the Taurus to the Glock 19, here is what you overtly get.
    Barrels are about the same length, weights are different, one is polymer, one is not. I have read all the good and bad about the Taursus, really not that much bad. Now I want those that have had experience with the Taurus to chime in. I currently own a G19, but I am thinking of buying a Taurus PT92. Why, because I like the style-just like the Beretta, but much less expensive.
    Is it worth the money, or is the 'jones' that I have speaking louder than logic.

OR... Would you trade your Glock 19 for a Beretta 92FS in equally good condition?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. I have a 92, excellent gun but way too big for a 9mm, get the Glock.

3. 21Brutus

Jun 21, 2010
    I know you asked for Taurus experienced people to chime in, but I traded a 19 for a Beretta 92FS earlier this year. I like to shoot the 92FS, but I went and bought another 19 because it's far more practical....carry/range/home/etc while I use the 92 at the range only. Good gun, great history, no problems, but I would make the Taurus "another purchase" or 92FS and still keep the 19.
  4. plasticpistol

Oct 30, 2008
    taurus 92 vs g19

accuracy - I like the g19 here. There is to much barrel play up front...not a tight lock up on the 92. There isn't many options for custom barrels.

weight - like the 19 here.

reliability - both are equally reliable and the only guns that survived my mud test. Sig 229, hk p2000, sf-XD/XDM, sw M&P, cz - all failed to fire or stopped firing after 2 or 3 rds. glock and taurus 92 both went through entire mag. Really like the 180 degree access of the taurus. In the end I would give the edge to glock because in sandy water I could get the mags out of the glock and not out of the taurus and while everything failed the glock was taken apart and back together in 3-4min and back up like new. Tuarus took a long time to clean out. Same with all the others.

durability - there are some key springs in the 92 that if they failed would not be easily fixed like the glock. Just don't like the setup or the role thsoe springs play in the 92.

hot cold - like the g19 here again because if you pick up the taurus if it's been in the sun for a while - you can't hold it. If it's been in the cold for a while you can't hold it. ie. in an owb holster type deal those situations could easily occur.

Trigger - hard to do anything with the 92 trigger. Almost no aftermarket parts.

over all - I like them both. It's like having different women available at the same time. lol
  5. mustachio

Jun 28, 2002
    Thanks, I will keep my G19 and my money and not get the Taurus.
  6. No,

Unless I were going to work someplace as a LEO that only allowed me to carry a Beretta 92FS.

Still probably wouldn't do the trade because the wife likes the G19 so she'd say spend the cash on the 92FS.
  7. FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    I see you made your decision (a good one IMO), so I won't chime in.
  8. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    I love the model 92.

I prefer the Beretta, but the 92 is probably
    Taurus' best pistol. I own both.
  9. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    The Taurus 92 was one of the first guns that i ever owned 20 years ago, I sold it when I went in the Navy, and regret selling to this day. It was one smooth shooting gun.
  10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I have been shooting handguns a long time. I own a PT92AFS and I do not own a Glock 19, although I think they are mighty fine handguns. For some reason I shoot my PT92 better than almost any other handgun I've shot, with only HK P7's (one M8, one M13), a couple Ed Browns, a couple Les Baers, a Wilson Combat, a Springer Customshop M1911A1, and a CZ75 SP01 Phantom bettering it. Oops, I forgot the PT1911 I used to own - that sucker shot awesome!
  11. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

Aug 27, 2008
    Just a few things to add...

"Barrels are about the same length"
    Actually the taurus is 5in while the g19 is 4in. This is actually a big difference for a handgun.

- accuracy:
    They are gonna be about the same. It really is gonna depend on the individual.

- durability:
    While the glock 19 is truly one of the most durable guns in the workd, the taurus 92 is not gonna be too far behind. Its brother, the beretta 92 showed itself over and over to be one of the most durable handguns ever made. I suspect the taurus will be no slouch.

The pt-92 is a good gun. If you like it, get it. Another option is a used beretta. You can get a like new one usually for 450 which is what the taurus is new. Personally I would go this route.
  12. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Mar 14, 2006
    N.W. Indiana
    Have both and are dependable, easy to clean/breakdown, PT92 for the house, G19 for carry. G19 is lighter and lot of extras available. Taurus is SS steel/alloy but is larger to carry. Trigger goes to decock/double/single if required on PT92. G19 double action trigger only, always constant. If price is an issue, then stay G19 for a single owned firearm. My PT92 AF was a steal (Estate sale, $375.00) and has a lifetime warranty. I have also owned Berettas and liked them. My rail tac lite fits both, so a win win there. Holsters for rail guns are a little bit different than standards in regards to fit. Don't expect big resale value for the Taurus. A lot of people had bad experiences with them, but in being a collector/shooter for 25 yrs, I haven't had any.
  13. RAH

RAH Keep The Change Millennium Member

Feb 12, 1999
    I like the older PT92s but there's no way I'd sell a Glock to get one.
  14. cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I have a current production Stainless PT92. The lower frame is alloy, BTW, just like the Beretta.

I also own many Glocks and other guns.

If you want to own a Beretta clone, and like guns for looks, and like to fondle and stroke inanimate metal objects, the SS PT92 is a gorgeous piece of gun.

If you want a gun for all other practical reasons... Glock 19
  15. countryrebel

May 13, 2007
    The Taurus pt92 is a nice gun to play with but is nothing like a G19. I had a taurus pt92afs years ago but now own a G19. I would go with a beretta if you want a gun in that platform. Shop around and you can find a good deal on a beretta.
  16. The 92 is way too big and bulky for the 9mm cartridge, IMO. Just not an efficiently sized's as big, or bigger, than any .45 ACP or 10mm. Other than being outsized for the cartridge, the Berreta is fine. I'll never buy another Taurus of any kind (quality, service, and resale value are all lacking, IMO).

I'd take the G19 anytime. You made the right decision.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  17. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    I see you made your decision. You made the right choice!!
  18. Gary1911A1

Jun 14, 2005
    Ohio for now
    When I first read the title I thought this must be some kind of joke or something. Like there really is any question which is better? Sorry, but Taurus just doesn't make a quality product to begin with.
  19. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    That is simply not true in the case of the PT92. It is a superior weapon objectively compared to the Beretta, and I shoot it considerably better than I do the G19 (which is also a fine handgun, a classic in fact). No, it's not as compact or concealable, but as a range or house gun, it is most definitely comparable to if not better than the 19 in that role.
  20. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

Jul 26, 2008
    Ditto, the Taurus is bigger than the G19, and has a different trigger system, but it is a quality product (though I can see with the reputation of many of thier other pistols being suspicious of that) I've even heard more than one Gunsmith say that they used Taurus locking blocks to replace the broken Beretta part because the Tarurus's were much stronger (Beretta since changed the design).

All that said, I think there are a lot more people who have bought a Taurus and later wished they had bought Glock than vice versa. The size, weight, resale value, and reputation are all part of that. In addition Traditional Double Action, if not dieing, is certainly proving to be a second choice for American Law Enforcement which for good or bad often drives the market.