close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19 vs 23 vs 38

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DrBob, Nov 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I much prefer 9mm over those other two cartridges.

2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Bac, I'd have a hard time imagining you not liking the 45 caliber 38 if you tried it.

3. DANGELO

DANGELO

Dec 24, 2005
    Old Lyme, CT
    I agree that for ME, the G19 is the perfect combo of caliber, capacity, shootability, and concealability. Not to mention it happens to fit my hand better than anything other than a Commander 1911.

That said, since you are budget minded, you can actually work some magic here. I would urge you to consider getting the 'hottest' stock Glock in the same form factor as the the 9mm, then spending substantially less loot on conversion kits.

I happen to carry my G19 the majority of the time, even in the summer. However in the winter, when thicker clothing and better cover garments are to be considered, I move up to my Sig P229 in .357Sig. The heavier gun takes care of the 9mm +p+ ' esque recoil, and it is a MOST accurate system.

With the Glocks, getting the stock .357Sig model, then immediately getting the few-hundred-dollar conversion kits will set you up the ability to use .40S&W (no slouch!) and/or .357Sig.

What's more...Trigger & sights will be IDENTICAL, as will all other operations, thereby simplifying your training regiment. Hell, when I have to go to my Sig every October, I spend a few hours that 1st weekend in the basement in from of a full length mirror drawing from concealment, the making same and doing a TON of dry-firing & decocking. Take a few hours but it comes back quickly; You will NOT have this issue.

G26 & G19 (& G17, & G17L & G34, and GXX"X"& ...you get the pt.) is a natural and health progression. I have 'em all pretty much, but the G19 finds itself on my hip more than any other, and usually it's my go-to pistol for 9mm training of newbies. Just going with a new caliber, mastering the additional recoil, and having the same frame work all the magic is a HUGE plus.

GOOD LUCK!

VR/SD in CT

4. DrBob

DrBob

Jun 26, 2010
    Florida
    OK, went to the gun show and came home with a new G19. Now, I want to exchange the magazine release for an extended release. Any suggestions which extended magazine release will work best? I find that I often need two hands to drop the magazine on my 26 or I have to reposition my thumb to press the mag release just dight to get the mag to drop. I'd really like to be able to release the mag with just my right thumb without haveing to reposition my hand.

Thansk for your advice ,guys!

5. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Jul 22, 2001
    Central Oregon
    Congrats on the purchase.

Vickers is supposed to be one of the nicest extended magazine releases out there.

6. mikegun

mikegun

Jun 22, 2006
    colorado
    I carry a gen 2 G23, but i think the G38 is a better gun, as it applies to accurace and recoil, i have owned 3 g38s....

7. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    Of the three you mention, I have the G19 and G38. Both shoot well, prefer the big bore.

Speaking of big bores, a standard mag catch from a G20/21/29/30 will work as an extended mag catch on your new G19, is simple to replace and only cost a couple bucks.

8. DrBob

DrBob

Jun 26, 2010
    Florida
    I bought the gun and 2 additonal magazines at a local gun show this weekend. Less than $520 out the door (including tax, legal check, etc.). Here's a picture of the gun: [​IMG]

I ran 15 rounds thru each of 4 magazines; at least 50 shots on the taarget at 30 feet. [​IMG]
    I'm shooting left - probably too little trigger finger, tightening fingers during firing or maybe slapping the trigger. Needs work but not too bad for a really old guy...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  9. cosmose

cosmose

Dec 1, 2008
    Alabama
    congrats :) you got a great deal at $520 out the door

10. DrBob

DrBob

Jun 26, 2010
    Florida
    Ordered them lst night; one for the G26 and one for the G19; thanks!

11. Looks to me like you just described the G19,

Although a G17 would be better at IDPA and only a little more difficult to conceal.