close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 19-Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by NITE SITE 53, Nov 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NITE SITE 53

NITE SITE 53

Feb 21, 2007
    Made up my mind to buy a new Glock 19 this week. Called the owner of my LGS and he has both gen 3 & gen 4s in stock. He said the gen 4s are made in America with the USA mark and that no one has reported any problems with the ones that he has sold. Are the gen 4s really worth spending an extra $50.00 on? Your thoughts appreciated.

2. Idk if it's worth 50 bucks more, 20 bucks for the mags, I prefer the grip Bette on the gen4. Apex is dropping gen3 extractors as well, so I think you'll be fine either way, just pick up an Apex extractor and replace the garbage OEM extractor.

I'm giving serious contemplation on buying a Gen4 19 now that the Apex extractor is out, I kinda miss my old Gen3 19.

3. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes.

I would trust a recent production Gen4 over a recent production Gen3.

Also keep in mind that with that extra $50 you pay, you are getting an extra magazine, so you should probably think of a Gen4 as ~$25 more than a Gen3.

4. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    Why?

What possible advantage do you think a Gen3 has over a Gen4?

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I wouldn't a buy a new production Glock, period.

6. bruzer

bruzer

Apr 18, 2011
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Gen 4 for me. Extra mag, grip texture, larger magazine release and the grip size fits both my Wife's and my hands better.
    Good luck and stay safe,
    Mike

7. You should get whatever YOU like. If you like the Gen 4 better than the Gen 3 then go for it!

IMO you can't go wrong with either one however, if you are going to CCW with it, be advised that the rougher texture of the Gen 4 may snag or wear your clothing and or your skin if you carry IWB under a shirt.

BTW my Gen 3 G19 test fire date Nov 2011 runs flawlessly.

8. adamrs

adamrs

Sep 24, 2012
    I prefer this grip texture of them the three, but the mag release and larger grip option is nice on the four. I agree that you can't go wrong with either. I would not try to think so much on the slight extra money but go with the one that feels more comfortable to you!

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

I prefer the grip texture of the third generation and to me the regular size grip feels better than the bigger or smaller one of the Gen4. That said I would lean heavily toward a used G19 that is a few years old. But if I was insisting on new, I would probably get the USA made Gen4 as people seem to report lack of issues with the USA versions.

10. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    Has Palm Beach Shooting Center gotten any US made Gen4s in at all?

11. LampShadeActual

LampShadeActual

Sep 12, 2012
    I am understanding Gen3 and Gen4 use the same extractor designs. There may be no difference.

This fall, I bought a Gen4 M19, as did my daughter, her boss, and a friend of my son's. All work just fine.

The real difference has been the add on grip size capability.

My daughter has long thin fingers and thinks the M size, just like a standard old Glock, is perfect. Her boss has massively stong hands and thick fingers. He likes the bare grip, no adapter at all, because it lets his hands wrap properly. The Gen4 gives them a choice. Gen3 don't. That's why Gen4 sells so well.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    No idea, unfortunately. It has been a while since I have been there. :crying:

13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Can't go wrong with either.

14. Palm Beach Shooting Center is a rip off, only slightly better than the jokers at Delray shooting center, those guys are really smoking some of that good ***** with their prices. Lol

15. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

Apr 1, 2012
    I have a Glock 19 with talon grips and love it man

Can't speak to the Gen4s

16. madAB

madAB

Jan 12, 2009
    I prefer the grip texture on the Gen 4, but I'm not a fan of the backstrap system. For that reason I like the Gen 3 better. For the best of both worlds, try and find a Gen 3 RTF2

17. TTex

TTex Cannon Fodder

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisiana
    I would suggest a Gen 4. The problems have been both with Gen 3 and Gen 4 pistols. I like the features of the Gen 4, but whats more important really is the Gen 4 is the new production, if there is a problem they want to fix these guns first, because it's their "latest and greatest". While they continue to support Gen 3 pistols they are still working to phase them out. Any new inovations are going to start with the Gen 4's IMO.

P.S. The extra $$ gets you an extra mag.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  18. clarkz71

clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    More G4's seem to have BTF then G3's. My 03/12 production
    G23 is perfect.

Gen 4's are illegal in California, no magazine disconnect
    and their not on the "list" of legal to sell .

Gen 3's will continue to be made. Google it

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012