close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glock 19 First Pistol : Best/Good Target Load?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Caric, Feb 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Caric

Caric

Oct 12, 2011
    I bought my Glock 19 on tuesday. This is my very first handgun. I have been practicing with the greenish-white boxes of Remington UMC. I was wondering if this is -okay- practice ammo, or if there is something that is better, and cheaper out there?

2. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    I shot a box of Remington UMC today out of my gen4 19. Probably the weakest factory ammo I have ever shot. Federal Champion isn't much better, but probably the cheapest factory ammo out there. These loads work, but the ejection is pretty weak.

Fine for plinking, just realize what you are shooting.

I like Blazer, American Eagle and Fiocchi.

The American Eagle 124g FMJ I shot today was VERY accurate.

3. Glock40man

Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    Speer Lawman and, S&B are a couple more choices.

4. Congrats on your New Glock. G19 one of the nicest handling and shooting firearms out there. You chose wisely.

Enjoy

5. Cowboy1629

Cowboy1629

Sep 15, 2010
    Indiana
    Good choice and congratulations. Sorry I can't offer a good factory target load because mine only sees reloads. I would say as long as your gun functions correctly buy the cheap junk for practice and buy the best for self defense. Of course you want to make sure your new gun is reliable with the good stuff too.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Winchester USA 115-gr has been pretty consistent but inexpensive stuff. S&B in any weight is real good stuff.

7. 2garfields

2garfields

Feb 11, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Go buy the cheapest ammo out there, Blazer is around $10 a box these day, and I easily had shot close to 500 rd out of it so far, no issue at all.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
  9. dansub40

dansub40

Jan 15, 2011
    My G19 will shot anything. I most frequently shoot Winchester white box or cheap Federal ammo. I've also shot a lot of Blazer Brass but the availability of it in my area is slim to none.

10. rentz

rentz

Dec 31, 2011
    i stick with S&b and speer lawman if i can, or blazers. Federal is good too.
    I stopped buying wwb, the rounds were really dirty and the cases looked like reloads last time i bought a box

11. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    Winchester White Box . that's all I've ever used .It's always gone bang for me.

12. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    best and cheap can't be in the same sentence- considering what glocks are (not precision target guns) they will honestly only shoot a little better with premium ammo vs bargain ammo. Mine will shoot 2.5 inch 25 yard groups with cci blazer or winchester white box, but go under 2 inches with winchester ranger 124 grain. For what I use a glock for (idpa type ,gssf matches) the 1/2 inch difference is not going to be as important as my applying the fundamentals. whatever works and you can afford is fine for practice.

13. Huber

Huber G1 Niner Rockin

Feb 1, 2011
    Crystal City, MO
    Go as cheap as possible if your practicing.....Your Glock should eat anything you feed it I know mine does

14. tophatxj

tophatxj

Feb 12, 2010
    Honestly, whatever you can find the cheapest. It is better to have more ammo to practice with than something you can't shoot as much.

15. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Feb 1, 2012
    I shoot Sellier & Bellot 115 almost exclusively through all of my guns. I think that it's the best mix between cheapness and quality. You end up paying less than a dollar extra for each 50 round box when compared to Federal from Walmart.

16. RoundBrown

RoundBrown

Feb 12, 2010
    Feed it what ever your can get a hold of. though i would stay away from reloads that come from unfamiliar sources.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    With Glocks (heck, most quality guns) don't worry about "best" for target ammo. Buy "cheapest" and practice more. But yeah, stick with name brands and stay away from mom-and-pop reloads (no offense to mom or pop).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  18. MCLAVER

MCLAVER

Feb 6, 2012
    Walmart has 100rds of Federal Champion for $20.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012