close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 19/17 Factory Polymer Front Sight Width?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FirearmsInPhoenix, Jan 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FirearmsInPhoenix

FirearmsInPhoenix

Jan 25, 2010
    Hi,

I just ordered an Ameriglo ProGlo (.140 wide) and Ameriglo Pro Series black serrated (.180 wide).

For my frame of reference, how wide is the Glock polymer factory front sight (currently installed on my Glock 19)? Is it .140 in width?

I know the rear notch is significantly narrower than the pro series, but I'm curious about the front sight only because I want to figure what kind of target coverage I can expect on an 8" steel plate at 25 yards. If the ProGlo is the same width as the factory front sight, that'll give me some idea.

I almost went with the .125 white outline tritium, but them I read a review from someone who raved about the ProGlo, and it looked like a viable setup with the pro series rear, so I went with it.

However, now I'm not so sure which set up would be a good all-round fast set up for near and far at speed (on both larger and smaller targets).

My defensive/carry guns are my competition guns, FYI.

Thanks for any input.

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    i use a .090" AmeriGlo front on all my Glocks for GSSF and NRA Action Pistol. for the run and gun stuff i use a Dawson FO, think the width is .125". i measured a sight in my parts box and it was around .145" wide. my guess is it's really a metric measurement but around .145 in American.

3. FirearmsInPhoenix

FirearmsInPhoenix

Jan 25, 2010
    Thanks for the info. exactly what I was looking for.

In your opinion, if I went with the .125 wide front sight from Ameriglo (as opposed to the .140 proglo) paired up with a .180 wide notch rear pro series, might I have too much space to play around with in the sight picture?

I believe this is how the Pro Operators come set up...

I went with the .140 ProGlo and .180 Pro-Series rear because I figured it would give me just enough space in sight picture while maintaining a front sight that's easily visible under pressure. But then there's always 25 yard targets to think about, and that .140 front sight might cover an 8" plate at 25 yards.

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011