close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 or Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pikemaster11, Feb 11, 2013.

1. pikemaster11

pikemaster11

I am debating between the two right now. I already have a 26 for carry and I really like it. I want a full size model for nightstand and range fun.

I am torn between having a similar platform with being able to use the 17 mags with the 26 or going with a different caliber (.45) to try something new. This will be my last handgun purchase for awhile. At some point I will try and get whatever I don't get now, but this will be my limit for some time.

I have a s&w 686 and a kahr cm9 as well and was not sure if I wanted to add a different caliber or stick with 9mm and .357.

What would be your preference and why?

My lgs has a new gen4 17 for 530 right now, so.......

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

The Glock 21 is one of my favorite and most trusted pistols/guns I own. It is a fantastic shooter, been reliable through thousands and thousands of rounds, through all types of weather and all sorts of conditions. I may catch a lot of flack but I think the G21 is one of the finest .45 you can buy.

I"d take the 21 over the 17 even though I am a big advocate of having a full-size and compact of the same caliber so you can swap mags. For what you say you would use it for, I'd take a long look at the Glock 34 over the 17. Same frame, same magazines as the 17 but it has a few extras that the 17 doesn't. It gets even better when you go with the Gen 4.

The price on that Gen 4 17 is a good one but maybe see what they could put you into a Gen 4 34 before deciding. Between the 34 and the 21, since you are already vested in 9mm, I'd go with 34 but I think I'd opt for the 21 over the 17. Just my 2 cents.

3. Lvs1935

Lvs1935

I go to bed with a Glock 21 on my nightstand every night. For home defense Im going to pick a 45acp over 9mm every time. I just have so much confidence in the 45 to get the job done. Even with the greater capacity of the 17 I would still go with the 45. Many might say with today's ammo the 9 is as good as the 45. In the end it's a personal choice. What gun feels most comfortable to you. Maybe recoil is a consideration? You mentioned the range. Nothing is better than going to the range with a 45 and some bowling pins.

4. swigert

swigert

Get both!!!

if you can get a 17 buy it, you will not regret it, you will then have larger mags for your 26 and a gun that is much cheaper to shoot, assuming 9mm is ever back in stock at a good price.

Also get the 21 for HD. Honestly there is no gun on the market that I would trust my life to more than my 21sf.

I would take it over any 2000 gun out there.

next on my list though is a 17 or 19 so I have a glock platform in a smaller cheaper caliber to practice with.

5. bug

bug

My personal thing would be to get the 17.

Magazines in common, lower recoil higher capacity availability of 33round reload
    21 is a great gun

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. ssdrew

ssdrew

Me personally, I would get the 17 do to the simple fact as mags are interchangeable and recoil will be similar. I have the 17 and have put 1500 flawless rounds through it in the 3 months I have had it. It is by far my favorite handgun i have shot or owned. As soon as Glocks are back in stock, i plan on picking up the Gen4 26 as my summer gun. Either way you go, its still a Glock!

7. ESAFO

ESAFO

i hope your @ your LGS doing the paper work on your new Gen4 17, if you can buy that gun for retail nowadays there's no questions to discuss.
    worst comes to worst & you change your mind, you sell that gun & make $100 profit to put towards a 21... :whistling:

8. pikemaster11

pikemaster11

This is good advice

I went down and got it, 575 out the door. I figured I could always trade it or sell it if the .45 itch comes around again.

9. TheGlockTalker

TheGlockTalker

Remember the saying "all Glocks should be 9mm".

10. BASE1324

BASE1324

That's not a "saying" - its a quote from James Yeager. Take from that what you will...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. TheGlockTalker

TheGlockTalker

I think i know who you're talking about.
    Trust me, lots of people were saying that before that guy did.

12. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

17s a good gun. 21 later.

I'm getting a 34 now, a 21 next, and then a 17

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. ESAFO

ESAFO

great decision & congrats on the new purchase, now sell it to me for $585 since after all i did give sound advice & you make money.... :whistling:
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    :supergrin: buddy ol' pal

14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

I'd get a G17 while I still can. BHO is going to at least restrict the magazines soon.

15. G19Buckeye

G19Buckeye

I like my 19 but love my 21.

16. multo17

multo17

The are both fantastic Glocks! It would be hard to choose, so I bought both!:cool:

17. bac1023

bac1023

I prefer the G17.

18. Inebriated

Inebriated

I agree with everything posted here.

If you decide on the 21, you're getting an awesome firearm. If you decide on 9mm, just get the 34.

19. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

With a G26 for CCW, you need full sized.

Glocks are infectious.

The G21 is a great shooter just expect to pay a few bucks more per box to shoot.

Ballistically, a G34 with the right ammo should get you similar shot performance.

But the longslides are mo pimp!

Why not the G35 then you can shoot 40SW AND 357 sig?

20. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

I would go with the G17 that is available, rather than waiting for something that may take months to find. Glock is backordered many units. I am not a fan of .45 ACP, but that does not play into my decision on this one.