close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 17 Gen 3 Mag Release

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Gtn, Dec 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gtn

Gtn
    Expand Collapse

Can the mag release button be modified on a Glock 17 Gen3 to be easier to eject?

Thanks
    Greg

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

The simplest solution IMO is to install a G34 magazine release which extends past the frame more. Keep in mind making it easier to eject, means possibly easier to eject accidentally.

I've tried tweaking the mag spring (which is a torsion bar type spring), but really didn't seem to be that noticeable. I don't know anyone making aftermarket magazine springs for the GLOCK.

3. krazey karl

krazey karl
    Expand Collapse

check glockstore .com.they have an aluminum one with an extended aluminum finger pad.put one on my gen 3 g19 and it works great.they're easy to put on .the web sight even has a how to video.

4. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn
    Expand Collapse
    PSO Survivor

If you will get a factory extended release and modify it yourself as follows, you may be happier with the result:
    Take your Dremel Tool with a medium sanding disc...not the drum type, but the thin wafer like sanding discs..and break the edges on the new release. beginning at each corner and working in...these are the sharp corners that many folks find uncomfortable. Then continue to round and shape the end until it is smooth enough and round enough to your liking. This type of modification is very popular with my students..especially "older" folks who no longer have the dexterity and finger-strength to reliably press the standard release. You may want to install it several times during the mod. to check the overall length. I think you will be pleased with the end result..and the good news...if you FUBAR it...a replacement is just a few bucks from my friend at Glockparts.com
    Hope this helps...if you need more details...PM me

5. Nestor

Nestor
    Expand Collapse
    Lean & Mean

Hi Greg,
    Vickers tactical mag release button (drop-in replacement) is what You are looking for.

6. Gtn

Gtn
    Expand Collapse

Krazy Karl
    Lt Donn
    Thanks

Nestor - do you have a link for that piece - thanks

7. Nestor

Nestor
    Expand Collapse
    Lean & Mean

8. Gtn

Gtn
    Expand Collapse

Thank you

9. elde

elde
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Have Vickers releases on all my Glocks.......highly recommended - for Gen 4's as well.

10. SKELVIS

SKELVIS
    Expand Collapse

I have the vickers on one of my G19's great product.

11. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack
    Expand Collapse
    Old Pirate

The Vickers extended mag release is a fine part, especially the one for the Gen4s.

12. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

You can install a Glock 21 Mag release, g34 and G35 both use G21 mag release!

13. WebSnyper

WebSnyper
    Expand Collapse

I'll pile on here, the Vickers is the one to get.

14. Gtn

Gtn
    Expand Collapse

Ok all of you - I have a question for you.
    After looking at the 3 different designs I noticed that the:
    Vickers- just seems to be the same size as the original button but it sticks out farther.
    Glockstore- sticks out farther and extends toward backstrap but is 2 pieces. To me that is a design set to fail just when you least expect it.
    Glockparts- has 1 piece avail in metal and plastic that extend out and back.

Which one do I buy???????????

15. Kentactic

Kentactic
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't put anything but OEM parts on my glocks aside from sights.

The factory mag release is tough to depress at first but it gets easier as you get use to it. If you can't get use to it get a wide frame OEM release.

16. Gtn

Gtn
    Expand Collapse

Wide frame? What's that?

17. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

If I were to guess, I'd say they were referring to the GEN 4 which has a much wider release button.

BTW: You didn't mention what you do with your gun (defense, sport, etc). Just keep in mind that if you use an aftermarket release, it may disallow you to use the gun in certain disciplines (or you may get bumped into a division with highly modified guns). Using the factory G34 release is GTG for USPSA Production, and IDPA, FWIW.

18. Gperfection

Gperfection
    Expand Collapse

I just take a #1981 factory or Lone Wolf mag catch and shorten and contour, then do a little stippling. When I say shorten, I mean approx. the same length as the Vickers. The factory or Lone Wolf extended catches cost me $2, Vickers about $17.

19. Gtn

Gtn
    Expand Collapse

This will be for USPSA with my 17 & 21 - both Gen 3s.
    I was wondering the same thing about this change if it would bump me to a different class.
    This is the one I was leaning towards Bucky http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=7251&TERM=SP01981
    Think it will change the class?

20. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

No, this is a factory part and standard on a G34. This will be fine for USPSA production as well as IDPA. Your G21 should already have this catch or similar.

My recommendation is shoot the G17 in production division. If you want to shoot the G21, I'd shoot it in Limited 10 division, and add a extended aftermarket mag catch (as no extended factory options are available).

#20 BuckyP, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013