close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Global warming/climate change kooks read em and weep!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Direwolf131, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Direwolf131

Direwolf131

Jan 21, 2014
    As of the close of true meteorological winter this upcoming week the twin cities will very likely record its 10th coldest winter ever recorded, with records dating way back into the 1800's!

Eau Claire will be enjoying its 3rd coldest in e same time frame!

St Cloud will chalk up its 4th coldest ever!

2. oh, but you are mistaken, it is proof that the science is settled, you denier![​IMG]

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Without getting into climate change issues...Your data point doesn't prove what you think it does. Statistics account for all data points.

The point is, even if the things you believe turn out to be true, your extrapolation of what a single data point means is wrong.

4. Revvv

Revvv

Jan 28, 2010
    Add in two massive snow/ice storms in GA.

We also cannot forget low summer temps last summer.

Sent by Morse code using rocks and cup phones.

5. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Aug 23, 2004
    N.W. Lower Michigan
    I don't suppose it occurred to you to check data for other locations, say the western U.S., or Alaska.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. Direwolf131

Direwolf131

Jan 21, 2014

Having lived in Fairbanks for the first twelve years of my life I am quite familiar with the weather up that way, as a rule, when Fairbanks is cold, the twin cities is warm and vice versa. Most of the USA and Canada are experiencing their coldest winters in the last 30 + years.

Also, the pack ice continues to "grow" and prove the hysterical climate woe sayers are not ready for prime time.

7. Direwolf131

Direwolf131

Jan 21, 2014

Sure it does Rabbi, it proves beyond all doubt that this is one hell of a cold winter, the coldest in most of the Midwest in 35 years, well on its way to a top ten spot in the last 100 years, and if I may, just as the Farmers almanac foretold.

8. Michael Rye

Michael Rye

Oct 8, 2012
    SC
    Direwolf, climate change is one of the holy sacraments of modern liberalism. Absolutely nothing you point out to the people who believe in it will convince them otherwise.

9. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Aug 23, 2004
    N.W. Lower Michigan
    You can cherry pick data to "prove" what you want to believe, but it doesn't make it so. What ice pack is growing? Antarctica? Yes. The Arctic, no. Glaciers worldwide? No. How about global ocean temperatures?

I'm merely pointing out the same thing Rabbi did--one data point isn't valid in scientific analysis. I don't pretend to have answers, but I do know a little about scientific methodology.

10. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Aug 23, 2004
    N.W. Lower Michigan
    And denying it is the holy grail of conservatism as practiced on GT. My point is not to let your politics influence your science. We all know Al Gore is a hypocritical jackass, but there's real science at work trying to find answers. Open minds find them, closed minds don't.

11. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    Climate change = Yes, of course , it always has , always will .
    Global Warming = Crock of political crap fund raising effort, preying on the minds of those people who would believe whatever a guy in a white schmatta tells them .

12. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    We've been going through a global warming since the end of the ice age. And there is nothing the liberal commie democrats can do about it.

13. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

Feb 2, 2006
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    EVERY one is wrong, we, as people, have only been looking at climate for 200 years...not even a BLIP in the true climatologists time-lines.. an incredibly infitismal portion of time that the Earth has been changing...

WE don't know the average temp of Earth, because it is ALWAYS changing, never been stasis, in flux constantly..

so I ask, what IS the average temp of the Earth ??

NObody knows...not you, not me, and most assuredly not ManBearPig...

BTW, how much of OUR tax money went to the Kings' buddies in solar companies that contribute heavily to the dem-tards ? ? Hundreds of millions, and just a tip of that ice-burg....

I am out...side mostly, in the friggin' weather, yes, the COLDEST weather we have seen in my long life-time....still 30 degrees LOWER than the fake NORMAL....:cool:

14. Michael Rye

Michael Rye

Oct 8, 2012
    SC

I am not denying anything, OGW. I said in another thread on the same subject that I believed climate change was real. What I DO NOT believe is that it is anything new, nor do I think anything man does can affect it appreciably.

Herein lies the rub with science. If I pay someone enough money to research something, there's a real good chance that the conclusion they come to will ultimately support my premise...especially so if they anticipate that I might pay them to research something else at a later date.

Unfortunately, the scientific community is not immune to political hacksmanship. Wave enough money in someone's face, and they'll find ways to reach the conclusions that you want them to.

Now I realize fully that people who believe in man made climate change can make the same exact claim about scientists who debunk their beliefs that I just made about theirs.

Then it all comes down to a game of 'who do you believe?'

15. what I and others on GT believe is that A Gore and his science hacks are getting filthy rich from his settled science. Also, political policy is costing our country billions of dollars and millions of jobs.

16. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Aug 23, 2004
    N.W. Lower Michigan
    In red.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    I heard there is a new glacier in the Smokies and there is pack ice in N.O. Lol

We will see if this year is record cold on Dec 31. A hot summer could average out the temps.

But they did have a lot of early snow up north this year - usually indicative of a cold US winter.

18. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    The frozen Great Lakes will keep us cool this summer.

Sun spot activity was very low last year causing this cold weather.

19. Michael Rye

Michael Rye

Oct 8, 2012
    SC

And from my own point of view, which also has not been arrived at with hard data, I see absolutely nothing happening which could be called extraordinary.

Yes, we've had a particularly cold winter. But unusually cold winters happen sometimes. I remember January, 1985 vividly. We had several days in a row where temps never got out of the single digits. That's rare for where I live, but it can and does happen from time to time.

I think a big part of the problem is that people's historical perspective tends to start with the day of their birth. There's lots of people out there who weren't even born yet in 1985, so a winter as cold as this one causes them to think that something dramatic has happened when in fact, it hasn't.

20. Michael Rye

Michael Rye

Oct 8, 2012
    SC

Did you catch where he said that we were on the verge of another dust bowl??

My question for him is: what caused the one in the 1930's?