close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Glad I had a spare magazine on me today...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Opie 1 Kenopie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I'm taking my daughters to school this morning and I throw on my G29SF on my primary side, with a 15 round G20 magazine worn on my belt, offside. I'm feeling pretty well armed with this setup, as usual.

I got home a few minutes ago, had a hankerin' for .45 ACP so I went to swap the 29 out for my 21 and 30. As I'm unloading the G29 magazine (standard with a Pearce +2 ext.), I notice the rounds POURING OUT. The follower had bound up at the bottom, no spring pressure at all to push rounds 2-12 into the gun. This could have been a one-shot gunfight if I had needed the pistol.

Fortunately, years ago I started carrying a spare magazine. Each and every time. No exceptions. I feel naked without at least one. Today's potential FUBAR would have been remedied with a fast reload to the G20 magazine. I'm the idiot for not checking my kit before rolling out this morning.

So, I implore all of you out there who CCW, PLEASE always carry a spare. Even if it's in a pocket, mag pouch, jacket etc. You might not need 150 rounds at an ATM robbery, but as we've all heard 1000 times, most failures are mag related. Get a new one in there QUICK! I almost met Murphy this morning, I'm glad I was (at least partially) prepared.

2. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas
    I agree with you. I get a lot of flack from family and friends who also carry, asking why I need another 13 rounds of .40 or 15 rounds of 9mm with the extra mag I carry. I always tell them, it's not so much the quantity I'm worried about, but should in case the mag fail.

3. Clay1

Clay1

Dec 7, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I like the logic. I will say that many that think an extra mag is good think that an extra gun - now you must really be nuts. I like the Clint Smith concept of one is none, two is OK and three; now you have something.

Since we are thinking along these lines, what if your extrator broke - would an extra mag do you any good? I like the idea of a primary and a backup and a blade and a flashlight. While some feel just fine with an lcp stuck in a pants pocket, some people feel warm and fuzzy with "more is better".

4. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

Dec 17, 2009
    pacific northwest
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Apr 30, 2004
    Columbia, S.C.
    Good post OP!!! I always carry a spare mag, but I mostly carry it out of paranoia that things could go horribly wrong, terribly fast and that I would need more ammo and not have it. Like when the zombies attack, or China invades, or Somali pirates decide they really want my Lexus SUV with me in it. You know, the usual stuff. :whistling:

6. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

Nov 21, 2006
    Texas
    Me too!

7. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

Dec 9, 2007
    :rofl:

8. Fragman

Fragman

Oct 23, 2006
    Houston
    Yup. It just validates the need to carry a spare. Additional capacity is a secondary reason. My primary reason is in case of magazine malfunction. Just like what happened to OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ncglock19

ncglock19

Jan 6, 2010
    Apex, NC
    Two is One, and One is None. Something my instructor taught me.

nc19

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Certainly a good argument for a spare mag.

However, you might be surprised that shooting under recoil, the magazine may very well have worked. I know with some high cap 1911s, the follower doesn't seem to come up when unloading manually, however they work just fine in live fire. :dunno:

11. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Just another reason you will never find a 'capacity' enhancement baseplate on one of my carry magazines...

After the second 'higher capacity' +2 baseplate *exploded* on the concrete floor I threw all my +2 non Glock baseplates away.

And you just pointed out the other reason I don't use these baseplates Opie 1 Kenopie! :cool:

It works for some folks, but not for me...

Patrick

12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    What about factory +2 mags / base plates?

13. xcaliburelite

xcaliburelite

Nov 16, 2011
    Western NC
    A lot of people give me hell over carrying an extra mag (I carry a G19 mag to support my G26), but people fail to understand that the magazine is the weakest point in a pistol. Combine that with most malfunction drills teaching some sort of magazine manipulation or swap, why wouldn't you carry one?

14. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    I never carry a spare magazine because I carry a revolver (or two). No faulty magazines, guaranteed.

15. blk69stang

blk69stang

Jan 10, 2011
    Arizona
    I wonder if the "tap, rack" drill would have helped here. I've had mags hang up like that before, but a good sharp smack on the baseplate caused everything to start moving again.

16. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Dammit, I really need to find a more comfortable way to carry a spare mag on my person.

17. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Look at the bright side. It's possible the shock of recoil from the first round would have freed up the follower. You never know.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

18. I've said it again and again, THIS is why you carry a spare mag!!!!!!! :(

19. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

Jul 30, 2011
    Funny stuff.
    Seriously, if a spare mag saved your life I would understand the excitement. But I'll continue carrying my little J frame, G26, or T3 without spares for now.
    When I go off to war I'll load up on magazines, flashlights, etc.