close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Give 2 weeks notice or not?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kevinr20, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I have a new job I'm starting at the end of the month and I'm trying to decide if I am going to give my employer a notice before I leave. I'm afraid if I put in my 2 weeks, they will just let me go and I will have 2 weeks of unpaid time off before I can start my new job and I can't afford that.

I know most of you will say "It's the right thing to do, it's professional courtesy, you might need them as a reference later" which I would normally agree with. My company is run by a bunch of shady, vindictive managers that have fired people as soon as they have put in their notice. Let's just say the way they treat employees is the main reason I'm leaving.

btw I've been at this company for 5 years...what would you do in this situation?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Maybe split the difference and give them one week? Maybe explain the situation to your new job and see if the current job lets you go immediately would the new job let you start early?

3. Buki192327

Buki192327

Do you have any unpaid vacation time coming? This could possibly carry you thru the 2 weeks, if they tell to to clear out now, if you give them notice.

If they let you go when you give them notice, you might be able to start earlier with your new company.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  4. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

The new job's training class begins on a certain date so I can't start early. Giving one week has been an alternate option but I'm not sure that's any better than no notice.

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Typical notice is one pay period.

6. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I used all of my paid time off because I know they would simply take it and not pay it out.

7. TK-421

TK-421

If your managers are vindictive *******s who fire people as soon as they put in their notice, then they don't need the courtesy of two weeks notice. Two weeks notice is supposed to give them time to find a replacement for your position. Obviously they don't need time to find a replacement, so you shouldn't give them time. Just wait until your last day before the class starts and tell them you quit.

8. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Sounds like you answered your own question.

9. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

If you put in your 2 week notice they have to pay you for the hours you would work whether you work or not. If they decide to let you go right away after you put in your notice they are required by law to pay you.

Unless there is a blatant violation of company policy most employers try to avoid firing someone after they give notice. Often the person will be removed from anything sensitive and someone will be assigned to babysit them until they leave.

Most states are considered at will employment meaning the employer or employee can terminate employment with no notice. However, if you leave with no notice most companies consider you not able to be rehired which tends to raise flags with future employers.

10. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

I would typically say to take the high road and give notice, but I have to agree with TK on this one.

11. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I have given a month notice every time I have left a job. And every time after I left, I maintained a good relationship with my former employer and assisted in training my replacements and continue as a resource for my former employer.

I also bank and keep banked as much vacation as possible.

12. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Any source on this? I'm pretty sure they don't have to pay me for my 2 weeks if they decide to fire me.

13. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

So you claim Alaska has this stupid law? There is certainly no such Federal law and I have never heard of any such law in any state.

I agree that when a person gives notice and the employer wants to avoid issues that can arrise, it is a common and noble practice to pay a person for the "notice" time they gave, but a law?!

14. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Show the same courtesy you've been shown, whatever that may be.

15. michael e

michael e

Think it depends on where you work.
    Personally at my job I would not give two week notice, I have several reasons for not, but the main thing is I am commision only and they seem to give you the crap jobs once you tell them you are leaving.

16. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

This.

OP, you answered your own question. Think about what you just asked us...

"Hey GT, the company I work at is run by a bunch of shady, vindictive managers that have fired people as soon as they have put in their notice, and I'm wondering...should I put in a 2 week notice?"

Now, how dumb does that question sound.

17. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

If it were as easy and clear cut as you make it sound, I wouldn't have asked the question. What if I need them as a professional reference later on down the road?

It's a rock and a hard place but I gotta go with what pays my bills and risking being unemployed for 2 weeks doesn't pay my bills.

18. Smokin45

Smokin45

If you live in a right to work state, I say screw em and not say anything if you they they will let you go on the spot..

19. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I pretty much already had my mind made up but just wanted the opinions of others on the matter and I think I know what I have to do.

20. Adjuster

Adjuster

It has been my experience in the corporate world that if you give a two week notice and your employer no longer wants you at the job that they still pay you for the two weeks. I don't know of any law but there must be something to it. Sometimes when you give notice the employer considers you a liability especially if you have access to finances or proprietary information. I can't imagine that if you give a two week notice that the employer can just tell you to get out without pay. That screams lawsuit.

/