close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ghost Ultimate 3.5 Connector Problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bam1131, Apr 16, 2012.

1. bam1131

bam1131

Hey guys,
    I have just installed a new Ghost Ultimate 3.5 connector in my Glock 17. I'm noticing that when I strip the slide off the frame, it appears that the Trigger bar is riding over/past the connector(.jpg attachment). When the slide is on, everything appears to be working great. I was wondering if this is something that normally occurs or is this a problem that I need to fix.
    ghost.JPG

2. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Yea, that needs fixing. They have a process they recommend on bending their conectors on their site.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

If the trigger breaks normally, it's normal. When you pull the slide back slightly to field strip, the ramp on the bottom of the slide pushes the connector to the side and the trigger bar cruciform rises up under tension from the trigger spring, then with the trigger bar up, the connector remains inward.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. bam1131

bam1131

That's what I figured. I'd rather be safe then sorry when it comes to my EDC. Do you(or anyone) think that polishing the internals on the Glock is a good way to lighten the trigger in addition to the connector I just installed? And is it something foolproof that I could do myself or should I just take it to a gunsmith?

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I personally wouldn't polish the internals. Many people do it with no problems, but the surfaces that you're polishing are nickel plated. Over time that nickel plating will wear away to reveal a copper undercoat and bare steel, I'd rather keep the nickel plating for as long as possible. I would not polish the firing pin lug or the tab on the trigger bar that engages the firing pin lug.

If you put your thumb on the back of the arm of the trigger bar that engages the firing pin safety, and push forward on that arm toward the muzzle, the connector should snap back outward and cover that part of the trigger bar. Keeping forward tension on the arm of the trigger bar, you can pull the trigger to the rear and the trigger bar should remain under the connector and follow along the ramp on the connector.
    (DON'T pull the trigger on the field stripped frame unless you're simultaneously applying forward tension to the firing pin safety cam arm of the trigger bar)

6. bam1131

bam1131

Thanks Man I appreciate the input. I'm new to the Glock. I love it. Can't believe I went this long without one!

7. bam1131

bam1131

everywhere I've checked either says "you need to bend it" or "it's totally normal". I guess it depends on who you ask?

8. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

9. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Looks completely normal to me, you could be just pulling the slide a little too far back to field strip. So long as the trigger is breaking normally like voyager said, it is just fine!
    Here's my take on polishing the trigger setup: Like voyager said you are taking off nickel plating that needs to be there. And by just dryfiring and using th trigger it will "polish" itself naturally in all the right spots. Keep that area slightly oiled, and maybe wipe the crud out of it every now and then for the first few hundred dryfires, and it will smooth out naturally. This is what I do, and the more you fire it, the smoother your trigger will get, usually. Something else you may consider doing to lighten up the trigger is to install an extra power (6lb.) trigger spring, and a reduced power striker safety plunger spring. Both of these will noticeably affect your trigger without affecting reliability, IMO. I dont recommend installing a 4lb striker spring. If you absolutely have to go lighter on the striker spring, I would use a 5lb, or 4.5lb striker spring. Wolff gunsprings sells them in half pound increments between 4 and 6 pounds. However, I really recommend keeping it stock, especially if you intend to carry it.

10. bam1131

bam1131

I bent it to the correct angle they say using the paper test and it still seems to happen. It doesn't seem to affect any of the function so I'm just going to leave it be until I can get off to test it at the range.

I'll be attending a GSSF match next weekend so I'll get the Glock armorer to have a look at it to make sure everything is top notch. thanks for the spring recommendations. I'll make a judgement as to whether I should change it after my range visit. I'd rather keep my Glock as factory as possible, after all, they are the ones who made it.

11. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

The armorer will likely tell you he's going to install a stock connector, or that he wont work on it because it isnt OEM...

12. spartanranger

spartanranger

Gonna have to say that you are a bit crazy to even be discussing this in a carry gun. Polish the internals and use a glock oem 3.5 connector.

Do you really want to be messing with an aftermarket part that you're not sure you "bent" properly on a carry gun? Put it in a play gun and stick with oem for serious use. Does it really give you such an advantage that its worth the risk when your life is on the line?

Back me up here guys.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Just how light of a trigger are you looking for in a carry gun?

Glock themselves admonish users to not use such a light trigger for defensive purposes.

14. bam1131

bam1131

If you don't want to put anything aftermarket into your gun then that is your decision. Do what you want to your gun. If you take offense to what I am doing with my gun then I am terribly sorry. Like I said I'm going to take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds down range. If I have a problem it will come out. Btw I didn't know Glock had a 3.5 connector. I didn't need for this to be the "c'mon guys, everyone jump on the Glock newbie bc he didn't know better" thread. and it seems most disagree with the polishing.

I'm not looking for too light of a trigger that's why I just added the connector and not springs, etc

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

if you add NON GLOCK parts the only thing you will shoot at GSSF is unlimited!

Good luck with that.

16. bam1131

bam1131

I'm not shooting, I'm watching a friend.

17. novasquid

novasquid

damn i wish i knew about this before i polished my firing pin lug. my gen4 g19 (only 1500 rounds and only a month old) is already showing dark copper on the firing pin lug right where the trigger bar tab hits it.

my g29 is already showing a slight copper on the tip of the lug after only 150 rounds and less than a month old.

every post i've read about polishing has talked about the benefits of it, this is the first post i've seen that mentioned any negative. or i just didn't do enough research on it. well, at least now i know, and it's a relatively cheap part to replace.

18. bam1131

bam1131

Maybe Glock will replace it even though you polished it. maybe I'm wrong. worth a shot

19. novasquid

novasquid

i'm guessing the copper wearing off eventually and bare metal showing won't stop it from going Bang when i need it, so i'll live with it for now. worst case scenario, the striker pin lug with get some rust on it.

20. billkny

billkny

What He Said! I was going to post the same advice.