close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

GHB for 5hr trip?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, Feb 5, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    My boss asked me to attend a week long training clear across the state. It is a good 4.5-5 hours away. They'll pay for my hotel, food, gas, etc...but to be honest, I haven't left this area with or without my family overnight in years.

My GHB is based on the 14mi. commute and 20mi. radius I travel from day to day.

How do I adapt it to be effective for a 5hr distance? Does it remain a GHB or does it turn into a BOB? I've got TONS of room in it.

Going on a similar trip, how much cash? Food/water?

I might be over-reacting and if so, I'm sure plenty will chime in to let me know it. But not having gone on such a trip since I was in high school/undergrad...I'm wondering what I should take S&P-wise?

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. Arvinator

Arvinator

Jan 16, 2011
    When my wife and I took a 5 hour trip every couple of months to see family, I carried a 3 day supply of food, plenty of water, and a GOOD first aid it. I also took a SKS and 200 rds of ammo, in addition to my pistol and 100 rds ammo I kept in the truck. Shovel, axe, chain, extra oil and trans fluid went also. A blanket, tarp and CB radio as well as all of my wife's meds to cover 2 weeks. Clothes were part of the trip, and I had a portable radio and 3 flashlights. A reflective triangle and orange vest for visibility in case of trouble and we needed to be seen.
    I never had a problem and the rifel was fun to go shooting one weekend... Good luck to you on your trip.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    As far as food, I'm thinking a little more than 3 days worth of food will be needed...mostly sugar/carbs and protein though, not big meals.

For first aid, I've got a trauma kit with some extra supplies in it, so whether it's a paper cut or a gsw, I can tend to it...temporarily anyway. We're talking away from home, not TEOTWAWKI.

Blanket..good idea there! I've wanted to pick up some of those heatsheets for a while now.

I've got my rotator/reflective vest/etc. with me in case of an accident or something like that.

I'll take plenty of lights/batteries as well as blades (I've got two on me at all times).

As far as firepower, my MSAR will fit in my bag easily once the barrel is taken out. But I've already got a Draco/G19 in my bag plus a 4 pack of 30rd mags in my trunk. The MSAR would just give me accuracy at a distance more than the Draco.

Thanks

-Emt1581

4. Extra cash and few gallons of drinking water.

Tools which should include a portable pump and a tire plug kit. I've needed my plug kit at least 2 times in the past few months.

5. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Good to be prepared. Expanding my GHB is not something I've ever thought about on short trips.

6. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Disregard your Boss, quit and stay bunkered in you home where its safe. :whistling:

Get out and enjoy life, don't fear the EMP boogey man. Even if something happens, use your body and mind and you can get back.

By car going approx 60mph going 300miles = 5hours

Riding a bike going approx 20mph = 15 hours

Riding a scooter going approx 6mph, riding 10 hours a day = 5 Days

Walking 3mph , walking 10 hours a day = 10 days

Here is my vacation/long distance trip plan.

Go to the nearest Walmart, and purchase or loot (only if everything is broken down and looting is the only option)

A Bike
    A backpack
    Food
    Water
    bleach or water purification tablets in the sporting goods/camping dept.
    Knife
    Hatchet
    Lighters
    Flashlight
    Batteries
    A sleeping bag if you are going multi day
    A tarp or a small tent if they have one
    Duct tape
    Cord

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    As far as getting out and enjoying life, I do what I like I just don't have to travel much to do it. I do need a vacation BADLY though...my wife and I haven't been on one in 12 years!

A bike...the last time I rode one my rear end hurt for a week. No thanks...but an excellent back-up method of transportation for someone who can use it. I'm just wondering what would happen that I would 1) Not be able to hop on a bus but 2) Would be able to drive clear back to my home for 15hrs. without issue...? :dunno:

As for your list, my CS Gurkha Kukri serves me better than a hatchet or axe...thing is worth it's weight in gold to me!! The other stuff I already have in my GHB.

Thanks

-Emt1581

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Another question....when going on a trip, what information about the area you are going to do you research and have ready? I'm thinking police station, bus/train station, hospital, gas stationS, and wal-mart/grocery store.

How about you?

Thanks

-Emt1581

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Vegas is about a 4 hour trip from home. I make sure I have enough cash on hand to get my car serviced and get home. Also up your AAA to premium if you haven't yet so you can get your car towed too if needed.

That is assuming that civilization will still be around when you need to use your preps. If not, better have your shotgun with a bandoleer and some camping supplies.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I don't have AAA. Obviously (nowadays) I rarely travel out of town and my insurance pays for towing.

As far as a shotgun, I know I mentioned my MSAR earlier and now I'm wondering if long guns in general will be allowed for this trip according to PA law. Usually you can only take them to/from a range, store or to get repaired if not going to a different home. I'm thinking my Draco, which is still a VERY capable gun, is what I'm stuck with.

-Emt1581

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Not sure how PA law is but in CA, your hotel room is considered a domicile and you surely can transport your weapons between domiciles.

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    That makes sense.

My only concern is security. If the cleaning lady comes in or someone else that has a master key or something guns have to be locked up. Now the Draco is already in my lockable Maxpedition Doppelduffel. As I said, detaching the barrel would be detached the gun WOULD fit in my bag to be locked...I'm just wondering if most would advise even bringing it?

Realistically, what role would a rifle play in getting home or defending myself 5hrs away from home that my Draco would/could not?

I have some ideas such as distance shots over 200yds, fast/accurate follow-ups, etc...but what are some of your thoughts on the subject of long guns on trips/in hotels?

Thanks

-Emt1581

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Personally, I never carried a long gun on trips unless it was part of the purpose of the trip. I have always found a sidearm to be sufficient because it's always on me instead of being socked away in the car or hotel room.

As for security while it's in the room... there are ways such as a hardcase with cable locks or just leave it in the hardcase locked in the car with a cable lock. That's assuming you have a sidearm on you while you fight back to the long arm.

14. Arourasphere

Arourasphere

Jan 21, 2012
    I also only take a side arm. That may change once I can find a Sub2000 though.

15. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    270 - 300 miles going to the training and maybe longer if you were to walk home because you would want to avoid populated areas.

If you were to walk 20mi/days that would be 15 days - without a day off.

Thinking about it as a long backpacking trip in cold weather would be appropriate.

16. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Non humorous -
    1. I also do not travel far. I map out the costcos and walmarts. The merchandise sold in each store is different and based upon demographics. I visit a particular Walmart once a month because I am in the area one time a month and it carries a product no handled by any other Walmart in 50 miles. I save $3 a unit of product.

2. Your plan is only to run home in an emergency. You have to be prepared to stay in place (particularly if you are urban, which you are not-in your mind). The wife and the kid(s) have to have plans of being able to take care of themselves. Particularly the kid(s) when they can walk and talk - I raised a son alone. I think you have a newborn. Well, the "bugout bag" in the car trunk has to be rethought whether you live in Oklahoma or Philadelphia, particularly in the winter time.

3. Time will be your enemy or challenge when you really have to take care of yourself. 09/11/2011- I had to be some place. I gave myself 15 minutes to think about what I wanted to take along to my appointment in addition to the bug out bag. If it is unsafe to go the 14 miles home in an emergency, you risk your life (and your family's survival) by not being prepared to stay in place. So, with a wife and kid at home, you need to gain a different perspective.

4. Ok, so I was in one of those day long traffic schools (essentially driving too slow on the freeway on the desert). The instructor asked people what they kept in the trunks of their cars for an emergency. Of course, I professed that I kept nothing and listened. Few people carried water or a jacket. Those are the people that you will have to deal with in an emergency - and be forced to stay in place.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    I see what you're saying with preparing to stay put. And really I am. It's how I designed my GHB. It'll help me move or stay in place because it's got the essentials. Long term food and water would be an issue but short term, no big deal.

-Emt1581

18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    My GHB is basically a mini BOB.

I travel about a thousand miles per week and need the ability stay put or get home.

I have a Kifaru Spike Camp:

20oz water
    Integrated Design's Silshelter
    Snugpak's jungle sleeping bag.
    USA bivy sack shell.
    DriDucks wet weather top.
    Katadyn mini filter and tabs
    Camelbak bladder.
    2 Fenix lights and spare batteries.
    ESEE Izula.
    Steel camp cup.
    Ti spork.
    Cliff bars and jerky.
    Fire steel and tinder.
    Maps and compass.
    Passport, cash.
    Bug repellent
    Quick clot, steri-strips, antibiotic, tape and gauze, moleskin, OTC's.
    Boonie hat, spare socks.
    Kimber 1911 and 2 spare magazine plus holsters.

Total weight is 18 pounds and I have 1/4 of the bag left. If I leave town it's going with me.

[​IMG]

19. tuica

tuica

Apr 28, 2009
    Portland,Oregon
    WOW!!! I just take a pistol. With that, you can usually obtain the remainder of what you need. Really, I think sometimes one should maybe take a "vacation from apocalyptic worries." I carry everyday while at home, but recently vacationed for 10 days in the LA area armed with nothing but my wits - and lived to tell the tale! Seriously; not mocking those who wish to be super prepared under any/all circumstances - just not my cup o' tea. Have a great trip!