close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Getting ready to make my 1st loads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bayou, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Bayou

Bayou

Mar 8, 2011
    Well finally got back in town for a week and was wanting to make my first loads. I wanted to run by everyone to make sure that I got this right or I am going in the right direction.

Berry's RN 115 gr--use low mid to low charges for plated
    Hp38--Hogdon's sais to start at 4.7 for SPR GDHP and Lyman sais to start at 3.5 for JHP
    OAL set at 1.103--close enough to 1.100--will be for a glock 17
    Crimp is at .378, goes in correct in the case gage and barrell

So I guess make 10 at 4.7 and then 10 more at 4.9 or should I start at around 4 gr and work up? What am I not seeing or thinking of correctly when looking at both Lyman's and Hogdon's information? I used Lyman's 49th page 341 and Hogdon's online data. Also when I measured some blazer and winchester 115's they were coming in around 1.153 to 1.155, is 1.100 too short and also how close do I need to stay to the OAL as in 1.100?<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
    What is the bullet profile? Hollow Point? Round Nose? Flat Point? This makes all the difference on what OAL you use.

3. ku4hx

ku4hx

Mar 30, 2007
    I've had good success with Berry's Bullets. Just remember, if you're loading for a semi auto you need to have enough power to reliably and consistently work the action.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  4. Bayou

Bayou

Mar 8, 2011
    They are 115 Rn, I changed it in the post

5. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
    YMMV-
    My personal load for 115gn RN in Glock 17:
    HP38 = 4.8gn
    OAL = 1.14

5.0gn would be max.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    WHat you are NOT reading in the data is a plated RN is NOT a JHP or a RNFMJ, so OAL & charge wts will be diff. OAL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific. So match the profile of the bullet as closely as possible to the data THEN verify the OAL fits your bbl & mag. The top end for W231 & a plated bullet will be close to 4.8gr, so starting around 4gr & working up would be prudent. I would look for an OAL around 1.130", longer is always better as long as it fits your gun & mags. Plated bullets load using data between a lead & jacketed, so max data for jacketed would be an over pressure load for most plated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. Bayou

Bayou

Mar 8, 2011
    Well I loaded some rounds up tonight to try out tomarrow and I noticed a few things from my 1st reloading event. The OAL seemed to grow from 1.30 to 1.35-1.37 when the plate was full and also I can't believe the hiccups that I had. Tomarrow I will have to do a cleaning of the entire press, bench and floor. I had some powder mess from my fumblings and mishaps. Is there a way or an easier way to remove the extra primers from the tube when I'm finished?

I made 4 different loads to try:

8. pm666

pm666

Feb 28, 2009
    What is the difference between a Round Nose FMJ (copper) and a "plated" bullet?

9. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
    I sure hope you mean 1.130 to 1.135-1.137! :wow:

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO

-Never use JHP OAL for RN OAL.
    -Always remember that data list MIN OAL. Basically, you don't want to go shorter. If your gun allows it going longer is probably a great idea. Books will show MAX OAL in the picture of the cartridge.
    -It's important to know the difference between Min and Max OAL and how that effects pressure and how you can vary OAL and charge in a cartridge based on the bullet you are using. Basically, you need to know that JHP might give you a idea of charge weight but can not be substituted for RN data with out some thinking about those issues.

11. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Good advice, pay close attention to what the data is telling you. Older books did not show tested OAL, just SAAMI OAL. As we all know, OAL is bullet & bbl specific, always.

12. Bayou

Bayou

Mar 8, 2011
  13. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I remember you're reloading on a newly acquired 550b. The simplist means is to just operate the press without any cases. When you stroke the handle forward as in seating a primer, lift the exposed primer off the punch. I use this method if there are only 10-20 primers remaining.

Otherwise, you've got to remove the two primer unit attachment screws, remove the entire primer unit and invert it to get the primers out. You may still have one or two retained in the magazine tube tip which can be gently and carefully pursuaded out with a small screwdriver, or remove the magazine tube itself (and hope the tip doesn't stay in the primer assembly - I've had that happen also!).

Lastly, you could just prime some more cases and set them aside until you've the components to finish them. Just remember to insert them into the shellplate after your downstroke so that you don't deprime them.

14. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
  15. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
  16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Whenever I'm setting up any of the other dies? I always have a case in station 1.

I think that is what caused the difference you saw. Setup one way, ran it another.

Even for the last 3 cases after I run out of primers, I'll keep a case at station 1. I pull it out, rotate the shellplate, put the same one back in, and work the handle. I think that keeps everything nice and consistent, not really any extra work.

17. Bayou

Bayou

Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks Ron and Jim, I will keep a case in station 1 when setting up next time. I will also use the primer method next time.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Just get in the habit of loading 100 at a time. When the buzzer goes off my press had 5 left. It is easy to just load those five and be done.

19. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the excellent info. I'll be designating some Station #1 cases when setting up the next set of dies. Perhaps I'll create a few more dummy rounds with a case at #1 to check the COL.

I'm still trying to get past the .45 ACP with small primer thing...