close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting ready to carry here in WI- Questions/opinions

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by huggytree, Nov 9, 2011.

1. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

Ive been a gun owner for 20+ years now and have wanted a carry permit for 20+ years...finally the day is almost here

i just bought a G27 this week and decided to carry OWB with a loose tee shirt....the gun will print somewhat

i am of the opinion that i prefer it shows a bit. I notice from most posts that 99% of you prefer it to be completely hidden...

my question is WHY???

i prefer it is clear i have a gun to anyone looking (those not looking probably wont notice)

I do not like Condition 1 w/ IWB...that is the 2nd reason i will be carrying OWB

the holster i chose is a Bianchi Black Widow...extremely satisfied with it...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Personally I think concealed means concealed. No one needs to know.

#2 cowboy1964, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Why? Because there is no advantage to people knowing I have a gun, unless I'm trying to look cool, but there is certainly a disadvantage, ranging from social reactions to having criminals spot it in advance.

4. NavyMSU

NavyMSU
    Expand Collapse

Because
    A) if a non-2nd amendment ****** sees your gun they'll call 911 and say they saw a strange man with a gun at the mall, or something alarmist like that.

B) if an LEO sees you printing, he will 99.999% of the time stop you and verify you have your license. Considering its a new law in Whisky, I'd say 100% of the time. The time it takes to be questioned will slow you down significantly and you'll get fed up and look to stop printing so much.

C) post 9/11 people are more sensitive, and they don't have to be a 'non-2nd Adm ******' to raise concern.

It's the same for open carry, lots of hassles.

My question to you: Why advertise? A badguy who is also carrying would just know to approach you from behind, or pick your 'pocket', and not only would he get your money, he'd get a new gun too!

You can draw immediate attention to an unarmed pickpocket, but if somebody takes your gun from you, it's best to just let them so you don't get shot with your own bullets!

Lastly, it's just like wearing those stupid 'safari'/fishing/shooting vests in public: I once heard them described as "shoot me first" vests! Those guys stand out like a sore thumb everywhere I go!

#4 NavyMSU, Nov 9, 2011
  5. edthecat

edthecat
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm a fellow Wisconsin-ite who has been mostly lurking around these forums since the last unsuccessful attempt at passing CCW in Wisco, several years ago. I am waiting on my permit to show up in the mail any day...That aside, I can give you a simple answer. You will be obtaining a permit to carry a CONCEALED weapon. As a CCWer, the last thing in the world you want to give up is the ability to surprise your assailant. Every single street thug/mugger/a-hole/rapist you will ever have the chance to run into, will see your poorly concealed weapon. They know. This is what they do. Additionally, you don't want to cause worry or concern amongst the sheeple. I'm in Madison, and do you have any idea how they treat open carriers here? They damn near call out S.W.A.T. over each incident, and then proceed to ticket you for disturbing the peace...even though open carry is legal here. Granted, that may change with the implementation of concealed carry, but who cares? You are being given the opportunity to excercise your God given right to defend yourself, why put yourself at risk of being "made" by the general public and causing a stir when it just isn't necessary. If you feel so inclined to let the world know that you are carrying a gun, open carry it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_YUO4SzcY Just my two coppers.

6. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Concealed is better so nobody knows your carrying, including any BGs. I've also noticed over at the ARFCOM HTF that "no weapons" signs are being posting like a plague all over the place so its even more important to remain anonymous.

#6 Nakanokalronin, Nov 9, 2011
  7. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

what is the purpose of a CCW in Madison????

where will you carry it?

are there any businesses there that will allow it?

havent seen any no-carry signs up yet here in Waukesha CO

8. tuica

tuica
    Expand Collapse

Why invite the (wrong kind) of undue attention. Unless you want to deal with all of the fallout that will come your way. Good Luck.

9. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

no i dont want to deal with the fallout

i dont think most people will notice....if your looking for it you will see it though....im going to try it for a while and see what happens...i really find the OWB much more comfortable and dont like condition 1 w/ IWB

thanks for the opinions!!!

10. NavyMSU

NavyMSU
    Expand Collapse

It's not your choice of OWB or IWB or Cond 1 that's a concern, it's that you didn't see a problem with people knowing you are carrying.

It's not advisable to intentionally 'dress to impress', just get some loose fitting button up shirts designed to be worn untucked, don't go with the tshirt option.

11. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO
    Expand Collapse

You asked for answers as to why you should conceal properly, and got them. What was the point since you already made up your mind?

12. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

With the proper holster condition 1 should make no difference IWB or OWB.

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Why do you want it to "show just a bit"... if thats the case, Open Carry, and it will show a lot.

14. Glotin

Glotin
    Expand Collapse

Probably... and the only people looking for it will be criminals, peace officers and possibly fellow CCWers.

So what's the point? What do you stand to gain?

15. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

im not intentionally trying to show....its just the result of HOW i want to carry.........

its more like...if it happens to show its a deterrent to the bad guy to pick on someone else.....

as far as condition 1 IWB = i dont like a loaded gun pointing at my junk...whether its emotional or not...i dont like it...i like the OWB at 4oclock

#15 huggytree, Nov 9, 2011
  16. up1911fan

up1911fan
    Expand Collapse

You've got the wrong attitude, if you want to carry OWB than dress around the gun. Concealed mean's concealed. Too many people faught for too long to get the bill passed in WI. Be responsible about carrying. Keep it concealed.

17. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

Also from WI, printing is not a legal issue here, but as you can see here it's pretty much a consensus. Going about your daily buisiness will be alot easier without drawing undue attention to yourself :cool:. keep it concealed

18. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO
    Expand Collapse

So Californians just lost the right to open carry, no doubt in part because of open carriers pushing the envelope, confronting the public and police, and video taping their exploits.

Now Wisconsin has passed (after another failed attempt) a CCW bill, and we are already reading about carrying weapons in such a manner that anyone looking will know they are carrying. Are you going to video tape the confrontations you are bound to cause?

Congratulations Wisconsin CCW'rs. You got your bill passed. Let's hope what is no doubt a small percent of the CCW community doesn't blow it for you.

19. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

IWB or OWB in condition 1 does not matter as long as its a good holster. If you have a gun pointed at your "junk" IWB then your doing something wrong.

In any case, the point was about printing. I think there is a thread here about some guy open carrying, a badguy saw the gun,took it right out of his holster and ran. Having someone know your carrying is not a deterrent, it just makes you a target. The type of hassles that come along with being a target depends on who sees it.

20. huggytree

huggytree
    Expand Collapse

i have not played around much with a IWB holster...i have one for another gun.....the most concealed spot was at 1 oclock...pointing right at my jones....i have a IWB holster coming for my G27 and will see how it fits at 4 oclock....

anyone carry an extra clip?