Getting my stripes on Monday. Let's hear some advice!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Islander-11, Feb 6, 2013.

1. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

how many sworn officers does your dept. have?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

dbl post.

#42 cowboywannabe, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Islander-11

Islander-11 Meat detective

We have approximately 40 sworn officers. The stripes come with a significant pay raise. I won't be on call every day, all the time, like I was as a detective. Making the move to sergeant wasn't my first choice, but it was the one that made sense for me and my family. Folks, I appreciate your tremendous advice. I will strive to heed it!
  4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Ok, youre in a better situation than smaller departments.

Good shouldnt have a problem since ou cared enough to ask advise.
  5. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

On your calandar, at an interval that makes sense to you, schedule time to put all else aside and self-evaluate how you are doing. Not to nitpick small mistakes, we all do that as a matter of course in our lives, rather make time to contemplate the big picture.
  6. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

Congrats or condolences as the case may be. I'll keep it simple.

Lead by example.
    #46 jhooten, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Self assessments are a good idea. Along with this, don't be afraid to ask other supervisors for feedback, guidance or advice.There are a ton of books on leadership out there and it wouldn't be a bad idea (if you have the time) to look at a few. One is "Challenging the Law Enforcement Organization, Proactive Leadership Strategies" by Jack Enter. I've actually finished this one and it's not a bad read (only about $20). I had the privilege to attend two of his Leadership Seminars and once you meet Jack (a retired copper from the Atlanta Metro area), you'll never forget him....:wavey:
  8. 4teecal

4teecal Token Aussie.

Things change.

You arent one of the boys.
    You are expected to support your troops yet carry out the commands of your managers.
    Your troops will now look on you as a supervisor and when they need you they want you, when you smack their nose they will resent you and do anything to wriggle out of it including sink you.

Dont compromise yourself. Your troops wont pay for your food on the table if you get the boot