close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Getting into IPSC, IDPA, USPSA...which glock

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by .45er, Feb 7, 2010.

1. .45er

.45er

May 17, 2009
    North Dakota
    Hello. I am a long time custom 1911 shooter and recently have been bitten by the IPSC bug. I am running my bullseye guns but am looking for something to run in the production class. If I get a glock and keep it fairly stock except for maybe a FO front sight and extended mag release will I be able to shoot production class in IPSC, IPDA, and USPSA? What caliber and length would you recommend for an all around gun? I have been reading a lot and it seems in IPSC many run with the 34. Would I be less competitive with a 21, 22, or 17?? Thanks in advance.

2. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

May 6, 2001
    Texas
    Most "ipsc" matches in the U.S. are actually USPSA matches instead. Long story so I won't go into that right now. Anyway, uspsa matches in production, the 34 is questionably the most commonly used gun. It has a long sight radius, shoots the relatively soft 9mm while using extended controls from the factory, which is legal in production. That is what I shoot when I shoot production division. Fiber optic sights are nice, also. If you start adding any aftermarket parts to the outside of the gun other than sights & a LITTLE bit of grip tape, your gun will not be production legal. You can do some internal work but you can't change the weight of the gun by more than an ounce or two & again, no external mods. No extended barrells. No special aftermarket triggers.
    You would not be "handicapped" exactly with the other guns you listed if you don't consider sight radius as a help like the 17 or the 21 or 22 added recoil. Of course, you can reload either of those calibers & reduce recoil where the ammo might actually shoot softer than 9mm but you still have the sight radius. Some folks don't even feel that the radius is an advantage. I know I'm probably as fast or faster with my 17 but for me, the sight radius at least makes me feel more secure shooting distance. YMMV.
    I am unsure of the divisions & so forth in idpa. You can shoot this same gun there but I don't know which division.
    IPSC, if you are out of the U.S. or in an odd or unusual place where they actually hold ipsc matches, the 34 is not legal in production.
    The replies you got over on Brian Enos are pretty good.
    MLM

3. MarkTX

MarkTX

Mar 13, 2000
    Texas, US
    The G34 rules IDPA Stock Service Pistol with almost the same modification rules as USPSA. You can also shoot it in Enhanced Service Pistol where you are allowed a few more mods. Like any of these games it just a matter of reading up on the rules and picking a division. But for IDPA the Glock 34 is golden.

However, if I were gonna get into both sports with only 1 Glock -then the Glock 35 (40S&W) is the clear choice IMO. Load it down to minor and play IDPA, load it up to major and play USPSA.

Both of these Glocks come out of box with the extended mag release and extended slide release -and they both come with the Glock factory "3.5lb" connector (although I think Glock calls it a 4.5lb connector nowadays, note it doesn't actually give a 3.5lb trigger or even 4.5lb in my expierence).

4. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

Jun 2, 2009
    Tucson AZ
    i chose a 17 to do exactly what you want to do.
    i put dawson front FO sight and warren rear.
    otherwise, mine is stock (3.5#) trigger bar.

it seems to work out very well. i like production because im not playing with the big boys (cant afford the trigger time to beat them).

go out there and have fun! i cant wait for my USPSA match each month.

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    I am faster with a 17 than I am with a 34. Accuracy is the same.

6. dobegrant

dobegrant

Aug 18, 2007
    Arizona territory
    I shoot a G17 in IDPA SSP and the G17 in USPSA, sometimes my G22 in USPSA and sometimes my G21, which is my most accurate Glock

7. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

Aug 26, 2008
    Thornton, CO
    Since you're a 1911 guy I'd suggest sticking with the .45 and going with the G21.

8. HK Dan

HK Dan

Mar 27, 2008
    1) You can shoot Single Stack in USPSA with your bullseye guns...

2) No point in loading a .40 to Major if you're going to shoot Production; all Production ammo scores "minor". Now, if you were going to shoot Limited or L-10--different deal. Plan on another $600-$700 in gear on top of the gun to get competitive in those Divisions. (Holster, belt, mag pouches, basepads, magwell--the list goes on)

3) My advice would be to pick up a G17 or G34 and shoot USPSA Production and IDPA Stock Service (or Enhanced Service if you prefer). 9mm is cheap for practice and pleasant to shoot in matches; you'll be competitive with a Fobus holster and a stock gun.

One man's opinion,
    Dan

9. .45er

.45er

May 17, 2009
    North Dakota
    Thanks for the replies. Now I have some deciding to do which seems to be the toughest part lol.

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    If you concealed carry doing IDPA at least some with what ever you carry how you carry it (if IDPA legal) has some value.

If you have enough to get started in either sport head out and shoot. Also take some time to talk with and check out what the other shooters are running for gear.

I have seen a lot of people never get beyond the research and gathering stage of action shooting. They always think they need one more or different thing then they will be ready.... Or they need more practice before they can shoot..... As long as you can shoot safely get in the game and see if you like it.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Either the 17 or the 34 will serve you well in both games.

12. sailor

sailor

Jul 30, 2000
    Daphne,Al, USA
    Is a Vanek trigger legal for a 34 in USPSA production?

13. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Does it change anything externally? If the changes are just internal in regards to the trigger then it is legal.

14. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Sep 30, 2006
    If a handloader, I'd opt for the Glock 35 over the GLock 34; the .40 loaded down to .40 'Lite' (for Production or SSP) recoils even a bit less than the 34/9x19, and, it can also be easily loaded to Major PF for Limited or L-10...

15. coal

coal

Dec 20, 2009
    Gamer:
    - G35 to make Major. Can "weaken" with reloads when Major is not needed.
    - G34 if Major will never be needed. It's the ideal all-around (non-Major) gamer IHMO.

Otherwise:
    Shoot what you carry. That's what I do. Me, Glock 19.

16. .45er

.45er

May 17, 2009
    North Dakota
    Well a friend is letting me use his 34 so I will see how I like the longer sight plane. Will be putting some rounds downrange with it this evening.

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    The short answer is NO. The long answer is also NO. Nothing wrong with a G34. I would look closely at the 17 and the M&P Pro/Longslide. That M&P shoots really nice IMHO.

18. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

I shoot a G34 for USPSA production.

Bought a NIB G35 last night from a retired LEO. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I couldn't pass it up for $450.

Maybe I could get some lazy friends to come out and shoot now that I have a gun they can borrow.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  19. Desk_Jockey

Desk_Jockey

Jun 28, 2007
    Just my $0.02 --- Buy a 17, 34, 22 and a 21.

You'll have less money in that one custom 45 and a hell of a good start to your glock collection. Just don't let your wife find out.

Welcome to the world of glocking...

DJ