close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting copies of old tax returns

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Apr 4, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Do any of you guys know how far back you can get copies of your old tax returns and how much they cost? Can they go back 20 years or so? Thanks

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

From whom? I believe the onus to save returns is solely on the filer. HH

3. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

It is, but IRS can provide, though I have no idea how far back. In 2000, I got married in Tokyo (my wife's japanese, it wasn't just for the heck of it). After the "wedding" which was at the counter in a city building, we went to the US Embassy to jump through hoops for her visa. I had some returns with me, but I needed one year back further than I'd brought. No prob, they sent me to the little IRS office there in the embassy and I had a hard copy in-hand five minutes later. No charge. YMMV

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I was injured in an accident years ago and now they say they cna go back years ago before I changed job titles if I can proves I was working that job years ago by tax returns. :shocked: Now I hope I still have them. Double damn here. :faint:

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I believe conventional wisdom dictates that you keep everything for seven years (returns, cancelled checks, donation receipts, etc.). In the event of some kind of audit after that, you are off the hook if you can't produce paper. Anyone? HH

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I know it is somewhere around there but I normally have records from many years but I can't find the ones I need. :shocked: It really sucks when you need something and can't find it.

7. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

The IRS will send you transcripts of your past tax returns. They are not copies, they are electronic transcripts by line and schedule. You can order by mail or on line at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=110571,00.html

Generally, the IRS keeps "open" the past 3 years of return information. (For example, 2008 will "close" after April 17, 2012.) They also only audit back the past 3 years unless evidence suggests on-going fraud. In other words, there is no reason to keep 20 years of tax returns.

If you are a self employed person, you may want to keep more than 3 years in case you want to get a business loan. The loan officer may want to verify past years of revenue vs. expenses.

8. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

IIRC: If the IRS suspects fraud, there is no statute of limitation on how far they can go back.

9. 220-9er

220-9er

Also, the IRS could also claim you didn't file a return for some year so I keep them all. They don't take up all that much space.