close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting back in?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by arcticcat, Nov 7, 2004.

1. arcticcat

arcticcat
    Expand Collapse

I got hired as an emt at 18, went right to medic school, worked the streets full time, plus did some fixed wing transport, and a heck of a lot of teaching to everything from L.E. college students to volunteers,medics, nurses and doctors. ACLS, PALS, BTLS, you name it.
    To help make ends meet, I also did carpenter work on my days off. Needless to say, by the time I was 29, now with a wife and a couple kids, I was tired. I quit my job, and became fairly successful as a carpenter. After, a 5 year break, I'm now thinking of getting back in. How hard is it to get back NREMT-P certification?
    I would imagine retesting is required. Was hoping to hear from anyone else who left the field & got back into it later.

Thanks, Cat.

2. mfackler

mfackler
    Expand Collapse

Do you still have your stste certs?

3. obxprnstar

obxprnstar
    Expand Collapse
    Goth Lover

Check out www.nremt.org

I don't mean to dash your hopes but from what I remember it is a pain in the arse to regain your P.

Also what state are you in? Some states have programs that are easyer for you to get your P back. I know here in NC that as long as your med dir signs off on it you can re-test the state test. After that you would be able to take the NREMT-P exam.

4. Alpha752

Alpha752
    Expand Collapse

I was under the impression that once your National Registry lapsed for more then 2 years you had to take the whole class over again.

I could be, and hope that I am wrong. That would suck.

5. arcticcat

arcticcat
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies. I'm in MN. From what I could find, as long as you re-apply to the state with current ACLS & continuing ed within 4 years of expiration you can get state emt-p. I haven't been able to find yet what the registry requires.