Glock Talk banner

Getting a Glock and Need Suggestions

5K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
I have a decent amount of knowledge about guns (more so long guns). I have shot them for years but I am turning 18 in a couple months and am getting my LTCH and want to get a handgun of my own. I know I want a full size glock, but I am not sure what caliber or ammunition I want. I was wanting a .45 but I want to be able to shoot it fairly often without breaking the bank. Is there a better/cheaper caliber/round? I don't know a whole lot about ammo but I want it to be a good defense round without being to expensive to go out shooting.

#2 ·
Well, I won't speak of what's "better" but if you were to go with a Glock 22 it is chambered in .40 S&W which gives you a decent sized round and you can pick up a conversion barrel for about $90 and shoot 9mm out of it. If you do this you will also need a G 17 magazine ($25).

If cost of ammo is a concern this is a good way to go.

But if you really want a .45 then you should go with that.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Much the same as above but get a SIG 357 instead of the .40SW. Still get the 9mm conversion barrel and two 9mm magazines. If you want to get the .40 barrel later that is good too and uses the 357SIG magazines.

It is a delicate subject around here but 357SIG is probably the best defensive round below the 10mm and is almost certainly better than the .45ACP both in effect per shot and rounds per magazine as well as pistol weight. The 10mm G20 is a very nice pistol and you can get .40 and 357SIG barrels for it but not 9mm. If you really want the .45, try to hire one first because the grip, like the 10mm is too big for many hands.

English

#4 ·
The cheapest to shoot of the what would be considered self defense cartridges is th 9mm. Next would be the 40, then the 45. Most likely all others will be more expensive than the 45. Unless you reload. I'm not going debate caliber wars. I shoot and carry both the 9mm and the 40. And I feel well protected. The best thing if a local range or friends has the different calibers to shoot to feel the recoil. For some they don't like the recoil of the 40. If you buy the bigger caliber like the 40 or the 357sig. You can get conversion barrels for the 9mm.

Good luck in your Glock search.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#5 ·
If a .45 is really what you want, that's probably what you should get. If you get anything else, you're still going to want a .45 since that's what you originally had your heart set on.

But if ammo cost is truly a factor and you consider .45 a bit pricy, 9mm is the cheapest of the service calibers, followed by .40. Both of those will serve you well as defensive rounds.

#6 ·
Much the same as above but get a SIG 357 instead of the .40SW. Still get the 9mm conversion barrel and two 9mm magazines. If you want to get the .40 barrel later that is good too and uses the 357SIG magazines.

It is a delicate subject around here but 357SIG is probably the best defensive round below the 10mm and is almost certainly better than the .45ACP both in effect per shot and rounds per magazine as well as pistol weight. The 10mm G20 is a very nice pistol and you can get .40 and 357SIG barrels for it but not 9mm. If you really want the .45, try to hire one first because the grip, like the 10mm is too big for many hands.

English
To echo English's comments along with mine I would add that if you are to use the weapon for defense, it is wise to purchase it chambered in the round you plan on using for defense and then you can "play" with the others at the range.

Both the .40 Glocks AND the .357 SIG Glocks can shoot each others caliber as well as the 9mm.

#7 · (Edited)
+1
Everyone has already covered the bases here - LOL!

If you have money, time and opportunity;
a 40/357 with alternate caliber barrels/mags
is a nice vehicle to find your own way in terms of what caliber you favor.

Alternately, if cost is the determining factor?
9mm has the advantage.
And with modern high tech ammo it's a valid choice for Self Defense.

Good Luck

#9 · (Edited)
I agree with barth: 9mm is the best priced service caliber ammo, and that the modern JHP technologies make it completely practical.

I own both a .45 and a 9mm and am happy with both. But to avoid the caliber debate, 9mm is not the best penetrating ammo.

9mm will service you and your wallet well (wallet is why I got the 9mm after my .45).

Now the question is what size?
Kid's meal: G26
Medium: G19
Large: G17
Super-Sized: G34
7-11 192oz Mega Slurpee: G17L

#10 ·
If at all possible go to a gun shop that carries a good variety of Glocks and handle the models in the various calibers you're interested in.

The service caliber size pistols in 9mm and .357sig/.40S&W are all the same size so even if the shop doesn't have a G-23/G32 handling a G-19 will give you the same size pistol in those calibers.

I've never seen a G-21 but have held a G-20 once and it's far too large for my hands. Also never held a G-30 but the G-36 felt okay to me if I ever wanted a small .45ACP.

The only Glock I own is a G-32. I once considered buying both the 9mm and .40S&W conversions but like .357sig so much I gave up that idea. It's extremely accurate and the recoil is just a tad stronger than +P+ ammo through my 9mm subcompact. Don't believe the myth about .357sig having too much muzzle flip. The Glock I own has no more muzzle flip than the 9mm subcompact; it just has more snap (the only way I can describe it).

Ammo costs are lowest for 9mm and it's quite capable for self-defense, but if I had to choose one caliber it would always be .357sig.

#13 ·
For cost alone - 9mm all the way
For versatility - a .40 or 357 sig pistol, with different barrels you can switch between 9mm (also needs 9mm mags), .40 (barrel change only), 357 (barrel change only)

If you are in a similar situation as I was at 18 you have very little disposable income. I know I would have gone 9mm when I was 18. But, if you don't get what you really want you will continue to pine for it.

#14 ·
I have owned quite a few Glocks and I would say that my 2 favorites are the Glock model 17 and model 22. One nice thing about the Glock 17 is the huge variety of ammo on the market. Standard loads, +P, Nato, and +P+. However the model 22 would be the one I will never part with. Holds 15 rounds, has good power, bullet weight up to 180 and even 200 grains and is easy to carry. Super reliable. The low cost Glock Sport Combat holster is a good value as well. One thing from a safety standpoint is the Glock will fire with a round in the chamber and the magazine removed.

#15 ·
Chances are your first will not be your last. In autoloaders, I started with 9mm, then tried .40 and .45. In the end I've decided that 9mm, for me, is the best caliber and G19 is the best Glock.

For self defense, 9mm is effective. It's fun to shoot and less expensive than other 'popular' calibers. But, thats just my perspective. (The .45 is also an awesome caliber.) Its hard to decide, I know.

#16 ·
To add one thing, if you have not done a lot of pistol shooting, do not be tempted to buy a .40S&W or 357SIG without the 9mm conversion. That would be likely to damage your progress. 9mm is enough recoil to learn with and 22LR would be better. Learnig to shoot a pistol well takes lots of ammunition and 22 is easier to learn with and the ammunition is much much cheaper than 9mm.

English

#18 ·
Duncan258,

Everyone is giving you an opinion. If you want a .45ACP then buy it. However, it is my opinion that the .45ACP is an outdated caliber. It's popularity is falling for several reasons, but it will live on for another 100 years with out breaking a sweat. I personally like, and daily carry, the 10mm but it is not a cartridge for a beginner.

If you are looking to purchase your first pistol, I would focus on the 9mm Glock 19 or the .40S&W Glock 23. My reasons are pretty simple and straight forward;

The Glock 19/23 is small enough to conceal, yet large enough to fight with.

The Glock pistol is the most popular sidearm of law
enforcement here in the U.S. so finding magazines and replacement parts will be much easier to scavenge during a SHTF event or natural disaster.

The 9mm & .40S&W are the two most popular cartridges among law enforcement and the military, so during a SHTF event or natural disaster it will be much easier to scavenge ammunition.

A close third would be the .45ACP, so like I said above, if you really want a .45ACP buy one.

#21 · (Edited)
G17 for sure. You'll get the best velocity and accuracy from its 4.5-inch barrel and the ammo is cheap.
Lots of folks share your view, and I don't dislike the G17. My overall preference is still G19.

I bought a G22 instead of a G17 because I was infatuated with Gen 4 and wanted to try .40. I regretted that decision later because 9mm really suits me better.

I considered trading my G22 for a G17, but the trade-in allowance was lousy for my like-new gun. Someone here suggested a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel as a better alternative, and my KKM barrel arrived today. Now I have the ability to shoot two calibers with one frame.

I mention this experience because it makes economic sense for some people who are undecided to buy the larger caliber with the option of downsizing later with a conversion barrel. For $165+$10 for shipping, I bought the KKM barrel to make my G22 into a G17. Or, I can go back to .40 any time. How beautiful is that?

#22 ·
It certainly makes sense to buy a platform that has a caliber conversion feature, which may save a couple of hundreds of dollars in future expenditures searching for a caliber the shooter prefers.

OP, if you don't yet know your preferences or particular caliber capabilities I suggest you take your time and investigate all the options.

#23 ·
Get the G19 in 9mm. The G17 is a great gun, but you will regret not getting the much more concealable G19 IMO. If your going with a .45, check out the G30. Accurate as all heck, more concealable than the G21.

#25 ·
OP, if you don't yet know your preferences or particular caliber capabilities I suggest you take your time and investigate all the options.
This ^^is probably the best advice of all.

Also, on a more fundamental note, I believe someone suggested earlier that a wheel gun is good for developing handgun skills. Thats how many of us started, and it is a sensible place to begin.

English mentioned .22 as an option, and that's worth thinking about too. The ammo is so cheap, and you will probably want a .22 no matter how many larger caliber guns you acquire along the way.

#26 ·
Lots of folks share your view, and I don't dislike the G17. My overall preference is still G19.

I bought a G22 instead of a G17 because I was infatuated with Gen 4 and wanted to try .40. I regretted that decision later because 9mm really suits me better.

I considered trading my G22 for a G17, but the trade-in allowance was lousy for my like-new gun. Someone here suggested a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel as a better alternative, and my KKM barrel arrived today. Now I have the ability to shoot two calibers with one frame.

I mention this experience because it makes economic sense for some people who are undecided to buy the larger caliber with the option of downsizing later with a conversion barrel. For $165+$10 for shipping, I bought the KKM barrel to make my G22 into a G17. Or, I can go back to .40 any time. How beautiful is that?
There's nothing wrong with a G19.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.