close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Getting a boat...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Jan 24, 2012.

1. vart

vart

I've been wanting a bigger boat for a couple of years now, but considered boats to be a very poor investment, so didn't want to spend any money on one.

I have a 12' aluminum boat that my grandpa bought new in 1965 and I got when he passed away. It is really nice, but there is barely enough room in it for me.

I wanted something around 16' to 18' with an open bow to take to the little lakes that are about 10 minutes from me.

Talking to a friend of mine at church, he has a 1976 Cobalt 17' Tri-hull that he's been trying to get rid of. I have a little 80cc Suzuki dirtbike that my son out grew that I've been trying to get rid.

We decided to trade! I will come up with $500 cash plus the $700 dirtbike for the boat.

I know nothing about boats. I know I need to add a mount for my trolling motor, since there is no way I can use the main V8 for the little lakes nearby, but it will be great for the bigger lakes in the area..

Here is his latest ad for it; let me know what I should check for on it before handing over the cash...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

This will be great! ;)

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I'm planning on getting one of those little sunfish type sailboats this summer.

Enough room for me, fish pole, twelve-pack, small tent and sleeping bag.

See ya Monday morning. Maybe.

4. Mraforever

Mraforever

Check it over real good. Fiberglass boats love to have hidden rot. Look all over for cracks and soft spots in the floor. Check the transom real well. Might wanna compressiin test the motor. I would check out iboats boating forums. There is a lot of good info on what to check. Look for water in the oil after its been run. If an exhaust manifold is leaky they cost big $$ to replace. Did you get a test ride? If not take one. Make sure it shifts smooth, stays in gear under load doesnt vibrate at max speed.

5. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

When I was looking for a ski boat, my BIL, a motorhead & skier, told me to stay away from I/Os. Just what he told me.

6. A/C Guy

A/C Guy

1976 Fiberglass hull will most likely have rot in the stringers.
    1976 out drive should be checked by a marine mechanic; the minor over haul can cost well over a grand. At that age, it likely needs, or will need an overhaul soon. Ask the mechanic how much just to replace the seals when (not if) they leak.

Take it for a minimum 1 hour test ride. Watch the engine temps and oil pressure closely.
    You wouldn't buy a 76 car without a test drive, would you?

Ask how to change the impeller, it is a normal wear item that must be changed every 50 hours or once a year.

Enjoy the boat!

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My first boat was a Sailfish. Just a bit larger than a Sunfish. The Leg-O-Mutton rigged sail is real fun to sail.

You can have it if you want it, you just need to get it from the bottom of Bear Lake in Idaho.:whistling: There was this storm and.....

8. vart

vart

Great info! I will have my dad check it out with me; he is a boat guy...

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i look forward to your future threads of problems with this purchase..

You are overpaying for it to start with, And make sure you take it to a lake and run the boat with him..

10. 58duck

58duck

you can tap the hull with a hammer (hard rubber is best) especially around the stringers - if you hear a 'dull' thud, it probably indicates a rotten stringer. be sure to check the transom also.
    if you're unsure about some of this, contact a marine surveyor - they will do a full inspection of the boat for you.

then, before you launch your new boat, take a United States Power Squadron or a Coast Guard Auxiliary boating coarse. for about $30 and 20 hours of your time, you can learn safe boating AND maybe even qualify for a 15-20% discount on your boat insurance !

welcome to the wonderful world of power boating :wavey: - i've been doing it since 1990 :tongueout:

11. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Iv got a 50x14 houseboat on old hickory lake in nashville, its an old steel hull, and we have it pulled out of the water every 2 years to have it inspected. boats are expensive but fun toys, your going to really enjoy the boating life, just make sure you keep up on all maint. as it can not only cost you lots of cash down the road but it can sink your toy

have fun man

12. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Take a 'safe boating' class from the USCG Auxiliary or Power Squadron. It could save your life...or the life of someone on your boat.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  13. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10

I have been boating for 30 years. I have sold my big boat But still use my 16 mod v jon boat on the bigger lake around here. It is lite weight 25hp good on gas will run 30 with the wife and dog with me. I also have a 12 jon for pond and some time float the Shenandoah river I call it my mans canoe.

I would stay away from any fiberglas boat that old! ! ! I would not even consider it at all you are asking for lots of trouble unless you are prepared to sink lots of money into it DO NOT BUY IT. If it was aluminum I might consider.

Wait until you can get a descent 1648 boat...This one will end up sitting in your yard growing weeds. Guaranteed JUNK

14. vart

vart

Good points... What's a 1648 boat?

15. vart

vart

How am I overpaying for it? It has a fresh 351w in it; and the guy is a professional mechanic, so I know the motor was built right...

$1200 seems pretty cheap for a $2500 motor and $500 boat...:whistling:

16. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

eh dont mind him judging by his user name he is just mad cause he over paid for his bike

17. 58duck

58duck

ouch . . . .

18. BSA70

BSA70

If it is a solid boat like he is saying, you are getting a good price.

But looking at it's age, and especially an inboard motor.

I bought a boat that inside the hull was water logged. After I caught on to what was going on, checked the weight and it was about as heavy as the titanic.

You think car engine repair is expensive. You ain't seen nothing til you get an inboard motor worked on.

If it were me, I would run like it was on fire and will explode any second.:rofl:

19. vafish

vafish

2 best days in a boat owners life, the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat.

20. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

This.

But for what you're paying for the boat, a professional inspection may feel like a lot of money.