close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Georgia House Bill 89

Discussion in 'The Georgia Club' started by scott.poole, Mar 19, 2008.

1. scott.poole

scott.poole

Nov 1, 2006
    North Georgia
    The Georgia congress is considering a bill (HB 89) that would remove a number of restrictions from where a concealed weapons permit holder is allowed to carry a concealed weapon.

I'm providing a link where you can sign an online petition supporting HB 89
    which will be delivered to the bill's sponsor to help him convince other
    legislators that this issue is important to the citizens of Georgia. It will
    take you longer to read this post than it will to sign the petition and the
    only info you give is your name, email address, and zip code (if you want).

Thanks,

Scott

Link: http://www.petitiononline.com/GAHB89/petition.html

2. Skykevver

Skykevver Proud American

Feb 22, 2008
    Thomaston, GA
    FYI...the petition is closed to new signatures per the website. Thanks for bringing this to public awareness.

3. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Mar 21, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    The bill passed on April 2! See this story in the Urinal/Constipation.

I am looking for a voting record.

4. scott.poole

scott.poole

Nov 1, 2006
    North Georgia
    Actually, HB 89 passed both houses as of last night. Now, all that remains is for it to cross the Gov's desk and (assuming no veto) should be law as of July 1, 2008.

Thanks to all who signed the online petition, but more importantly our legislators who made it possible.

Specific thanks go out to Rep. Tim Bearden (house sponsor) and Senators Chip Rogers and John Douglas who pushed things on their side.

5. thooks

thooks

May 17, 2005
    Marietta, GA

Please post the voting record when you find it. I could prolly look myself, but I'm lazy and not a resident of GA. But I'd like to inform the sheep around me who to vote for when they say "but I don't know who to vote for..."

:steamed:

6. zodiacbw

zodiacbw

Apr 3, 2008
    Buford, GA
    Another report on HB 89

Nothing new it seems other than the anti-gun folk complaining.

"A Perdue spokesman said the governor had not yet decided whether he would sign the bill. An avid hunter, Perdue generally backs gun rights. But that support is not absolute."

7. yrone

yrone re - member

Apr 23, 2002
    Gainesville, Ga
    Lets give him a ring tomorrow and ask if we might pretty please be able to legally defend ourselves while out to eat.

Capitol Address
    Office of the Governor, Georgia State Capitol
    Atlanta, GA 30334
    Phone: 404-656-1776

8. This is a repost of my post I started a few months back, no big deal.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821671

The Governor already said once before he would not sign it in to law because Georgia does not require any training or testing before issuing a license.

9. bankerrkt

bankerrkt

Apr 5, 2008
    Marietta GA
    Make your voice heard. Give the Gov a call. I intend to.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Incirlik AB

Jan 13, 2006
    This is how it went down on the last legislative day in the house and the senate.

House vote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf0l0vbNZ-c
    Senate vote: Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-cDZDS35Y
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPj2h88pFtg

Rep Tim Bearden (R) spear-headed this effort and without his "tenacity" and "I will not quit" attitude we have HB 89 on the Governors desk. Rep Bearden is presenting HB 89 in the house video. Senator Chip Rogers (R) is presenting HB 89 in the Senate. Notice has he handles the anti's (democrats) with his responses. The house side is much friendlier than the senate.

11. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Mar 21, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Here is the HB 89 page with links to all the votes.

Happily both my representatives voted Yes.

12. Wiskey_33

Wiskey_33

Aug 15, 2007
    Atlanta
    As I'm certain you are aware of by now, House Bill 89 passed both the House and the Senate on the last day of the Legislative session. We wanted to make each signer of the Petition for House Bill 89 aware of this fact and also wanted to point out that it's not law until signed by Governor Perdue.

Being that the restaurant business association, MARTA, the AJC, and other less than gun friendly organizations are making stances to get Perdue to veto 89, I feel that we need to politely encourage the Governor to sign HB 89 into law. At this time, we feel that putting ink to paper is by far the best method of contact but we would like to encourage any proper means to be used at will...

> Be Polite
    > Be Precise
    > Don't Be Long Winded
    > If You Call, Know What You Want To Say Before Dialing (suggest writing it down even)
    > Use Multiple Methods Of Contact; Do Not Use The Same Message
    > Encourage Other Gun Owners To Contact The Governor, But Remind Them To Be Polite (Make Friends, Don't Burn A Bridge)

Methods To Use

Web Form E-Mail: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contact_us/0,2657,78006749_94820188,00.html

Snail Mail (USPS):
    The Office of the Governor
    State of Georgia
    203 State Capitol
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334

Phone:
    404-656-1776

Fax:
    404-657-7332

Facts you may want to use in your letter are:

> The right of self protection has been a recognized human right since the conception of this nation.

> Under current law, a law-abiding citizen with a Georgia firearm license permit may go into any restaurant in the state that does not sell alcohol. That is about 75 percent to 80 percent of all restaurants in Georgia.

> If this bill is signed into law, Georgia will become the 44th state in the nation to allow carrying weapons on public transportation.

> Georgia firearm licensees are law abiding citizens, a number close to 300,000, that have taken time to undergo stringent background verifications to qualify us as able to carry a firearm in places of public interest for the purposes of self-protection.

13. Senator

Senator

Apr 5, 2006
    The AJC continues its negative press parade regarding HB 89. Please call the Gov Purdue's office at 404 656 1776 and politely encourage the signing of HB 89 into law. Be courteous and succinct...much is hanging in the balance.

14. thooks

thooks

May 17, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Has he signed it?

How much longer can it sit before it becomes law / expires ?

In Alabama, if the Gov does not sign the bill in a certain number of days, it automatically becomes law. Does this work in GA???

15. GeorgiaGlocker

Jan 13, 2006
    The Governor doesn't have to sign it to become law as long as he doesn't veto it. Although we would like his signature on HB 89. The only thing that would stop HB 89 from becoming law is a veto and the Governor must veto it before May 30th. If he signs it or he doesn't veto it, it will take effect on July 1, 2008.

16. How do you know that?

That is the first time I heard a governor can not sign something and it still become law, but then again I'm not Mr law 101 either.

I was not aware of the governors time limit.

But anyway, Expect the VETO, Sunny Perdue sucks.

17. GeorgiaGlocker

Jan 13, 2006
    These are the rules. They are similar to other states. Marta is now making a big push to the governor to veto HB 89. We cannot let up! Every contact we make to the Governor's office can make a difference. Ask you friends/relatives to contact the governor by telephone or even better with a letter and ask him to sign HB89.

18. Well that answered my question, thanks!:whistling:

19. thooks

thooks

May 17, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    King,

these types of laws are well known in the circles of people that know and understand the legislative process. I really don't live here in GA (I maintain my residence in AL), but I knew this was the process in AL and figure it might be similar in GA. I just didn't pull it out of my lower orifice.

20. GeorgiaGlocker

Jan 13, 2006
    I realize I didn't answer your question the other day. I was in a hurry, but here is the website from the Secretary of State from where the information comes from. Scroll down to VIII.

http://sos.georgia.gov/tours/html/bill.html