close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Georgia Aquarium

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by collim1, Jul 2, 2012.

1. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Wy wife and I will be taking a trip to the GA Aquarium in a few weeks. We are staying 6 blocks from the aquarium and planning on walking after dark. I would feel alot better with my 442 in my pocket while walking downtown at night.

Is there any reason I cant carry in the aquarium? Metal detectors?

Legally I can carry in GA, so the aquarium's policies are the only in question.

2. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    If you are talking about the one in Atlanta, you are screwed. They would not let me in in spite of federal LE creds......

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Really? I would be carrying under LEOSA, I am a patrol officer. Do they pat you down? Metal detector? or what?

I am talking about pocket carrying a jframe, it will be discreet carry, so I am curious as to how I will ousted.

4. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    Figure they would be with how thick they are. But hey... Seen the family guy where Peter puts that big dumb guy smile on the octopus? Lol

-J

5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I am worried very little bout inside the aquarium, its the 6 blocks through downtown after dark I am worried about.

6. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    Metal detectors. You had to buy tickets then go through the detectors, that I had not seen. I was told I could not enter-period, without leaving my gun in the car. I asked for a refund. They refused. I asked for a supervisor and advised they needed to refund my money of allow me to enter. It took almost 10 minutes before the manager finally gave me my money back.

I got the same treatment next door at the world of coke.....I ended up going to Stone Mountain for the day.

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    That's just bizarre... I could understand not allowing spear guns.. :supergrin:

Seriously though, anyone from ATL here? Do they prohibit local off duty cops also, or just out of staters?

Randy

8. sappy13

sappy13

Sep 30, 2007
    Bremen, GA
    i went there just the other day. I had just purchased tickets and hopped in line with my gf. Bout a minute later i had that oh **** moment and had to tell her id be back in a couple of minutes. I knew legally it would be perfectly fine to carry there, but had no idea there would be people wanding us down before entering.

9. rmodel65

rmodel65

Oct 29, 2011
  10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    they wont even let Georgia LEOs carry in there, they wont let you use a locker to secure your gun, they use metal detector wands to check you.

11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
  12. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Well crap, I am not thrilled about walking back after dark without my carry gun.

Since we are not planning on driving it wont be worth it to chance it, and have to walk 6 blocks back to the hotel, and then 6 blocks back to the aquarium.

13. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, I was there about a year ago. I saw some wanding being done, but not everybody was being wanded. I was carrying and was not wanded, so I was armed inside of the facility. Not one fish or sea going creature was harmed in the process.

14. If I were you I'd just say screw them & I would let them know why.

15. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA

I would but this trip is for our anniversary and wife's B-day, so its her call, not mine.

I am tempted to wear a huge metal belt buckle and conceal the gun in a smartcarry or something similar. Hopefully they would wand the buckle and ignore it. Then I could switch to pocket carry once inside.

Like I said its the walk to the aquarium that concerns me, not once inside.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  16. Congrats & happy b.day to your wife. And boy do I understand "it's her call" after having been married 36 years.

17. rmodel65

rmodel65

Oct 29, 2011
    we have a couple in our church just recently celebrated their 70th wedding annv

18. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Apr 24, 2008
    Northwest Louisiana
    Mrs. LTB and I were there a couple years ago on our way back to Louisiana from South Carolina. We parked several blocks away and I carried my PF-9 IWB under a loose-fitting shirt. We bought the tickets and I didn't see a sign until just before going through the metal detectors. I thought I would be toast, but the metal detector did not alert on me. The staff searched Mrs. LTB's purse, but we went right on through. They really need to put those signs at the ticketing windows and not just on the entry doors. By then, it's almost too late.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012