close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

George Foreman Grill, anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Seminoles, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Seminoles

Seminoles
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Thinking about picking one of these up. Can anyone tell me anything good/bad about their experiences with it?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

My mom bought me one like about 6 years ago when the 1st came out ( the style that looks like a big waffle maker w/lid)

It was okay for the 1st 100 use, but soon after repetitive(sp?) cleaning the coating started coming off,the plastic scrapper was about no good and it was getting harder and harder to clean.

It was okay and better than cooking on a stove top.

3. Alsatian

Alsatian
    Expand Collapse

I've had mine for about 4 years and it is great, especially in the winter when it's too cold to grill outside. I haven't had any sticking problems, but I like to spray Pam on both surfaces after it gets hot.

4. JTB

JTB
    Expand Collapse
    always learning

I think it works great but cleaning it is a pain. The plates do not come off so after cleaning it, I get to clean the counter, the floor and myself.

5. tpiini

tpiini
    Expand Collapse

Mine broke after using it only a few times. Something about moving across country and setting it on the floor of the trailer under my motorcycle. I mean, really. If just a motorcycle bouncing up and down on it for a few thousand miles could break it into a zillion pieces, what the heck is it worth?

My second one works great!

6. rhikdavis

rhikdavis
    Expand Collapse
    U.S. Veteran

I have an off brand....it's great. Don't forget to position the grease catcher tho'. ;f

7. bachchoy

bachchoy
    Expand Collapse
    Bond

8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble
    Expand Collapse
    Sandwich!

I bought my mom and dad the big deluxe George Foreman grill for Christmas and they love it, they've been using it all the time. There only complaint so far is that it's a pain to clean up.

9. rhikdavis

rhikdavis
    Expand Collapse
    U.S. Veteran

Cleaning? You're supposed to clean them? .... Frig that....I like the perpetually greased effect. ;g ;f

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty
    Expand Collapse

Here is a trick I learned from a friend guys: try "frying" your bacon in your George Foreman grill. You will have to flip it once, maybe twice depending on how crispy you like it. But there will be no grease popping out all over the kitchen to have to clean up!

I clean ours by using damp paper towels while the plates are still pretty warm. Not hot enough to burn me but plenty warm enough to melt the grease. I fold them a few times and wipe. If necessary, I use the stick-thingee to scrape the towel over the plate if there is something stuck there.

11. Expand Collapse

i don't have one, but everyone I ever met that does RAVES about the thing. Besides, George is such a nice guy.

Bruce

12. darin2

darin2
    Expand Collapse

I have one of the extra large grills that has a bun warmer on the top. I've never had a problem...and the bun warmer actually works. The easiest way to clean it is to simply wipe it down while it's still warm/hot. The non stick surface cleans up nicely.

Darin

13. jason10mm

jason10mm
    Expand Collapse
    NRA-GOA-TSRA

Mine is pretty beat up, but has seen several years of hard service. I thinkl there are similar devices out there with removable plates, I would DEFINITELY look into that product, 'cause cleaning the GF grill can be a real pain in the ***** if you use a lot of sauce and marinade like I do. Actually, now that I have a good grill pan, the GF grill does not see much service. The grill pan is a little slower since it only cooks on one side at a time, but the results are a little better for me and it is a LOT easier to clean.

14. knuckle dragger

knuckle dragger
    Expand Collapse
    NSAWC

love mine...but wish it was larger

15. kckndrgn

kckndrgn
    Expand Collapse

Guess I get to be one of the few that couldn't stand using ours. I liked the idea and everybody was raving about them and we, my wife and I, got one as a wedding present. Now, it wasn't the official Foreman Grill, just a knock off. WE BOTH HATTED IT!!! wait a minute, hate is not a strong enough word. We would routinly have steaks and burgers that were burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. Then it was a total PIA to clean. I would much rather grill outside in the winter than use another one of these "grills".

But that's just my opinion.

16. CaptDoug04

CaptDoug04
    Expand Collapse
    PM 2005

LOVE mine, even though it tried to commit suicide. Had it on the island in the kitchen, opened it and turned to get the meat to put on it. I guess it did not fully lock all the way back and as I turn around it is flipping OFF THE ISLAND! ;P It still works, but it is going to be replaced asap!

17. Griz

Griz
    Expand Collapse
    Arizona member
    Millennium Member

We LOVE ours, BOTH of 'em. I won a small one first then we got a big one... wife managed to let it get away and fall on floor, broke one foot. So we replaced it with another. Beats trying to grill in crummy weather. Cleans good especially if you don't wait too long.

18. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

I'll be searching GT for your next post: "Why do I have constant diarreah?" ;i

19. Dogbite

Dogbite
    Expand Collapse
    DNT TREAD ON ME

We have one--its great--and really works like they say--one of the few things that does "as shown on tv".

20. Remander

Remander
    Expand Collapse

I figured they were junk like other TV products, then got a gift of a Foreman knock-off by Black and Decker.

We love it for catfish fillets. Real nice with a little Cavender's Greek Seasoning. Grills sliced veggies nicely too. Put a little olive oil and seasoning on them.

The best part: Unlike Foreman, my knock-off has plate surfaces that easily unclip for cleaning. Heck, you can even put them in the dishwasher.

I would definitely look for a model with detachable cooking surface plates. That cures the main gripe about Foreman: the cleanup.