close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

General purpose outdoor knife

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Nemesis Lead, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

Hi Guys,

I am an A-level USPSA shooter/3 gunner. I know guns, but I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about knives.

I am going to be doing a 10-12 day hike in the late summer and want to get a good general utility knife (i.e., good for all purposes).

I do not mind spending a bit of money to get something good (these will be my only knives most likely, so I do want quality). Also--if you think 1 knife won't cut it (pun intended) for all purposes, I would be open to getting 2 and letting my wife carry the lighter one.

2. itstime

itstime

First off, give a realistic price range and I'm assuming two fixed blades??

And most importantly, what kind of work do you want from them?

3. Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

Thanks for your response. Price maybe no more than $300 at the top end. I will truly only have 1 or 2 knives and don't mind spending some coin if I don't have to buy again.

I want them to last a lifetime. They should be built like a tank--I don't want something that I have to baby. Something I can slightly mistreat and not ruin it.

As far as what I will do with them......truly general duty. Cutting rope/even tiny trees, cleaning fish/animals, general utility (cutting fruit or opening boxes), and even self defense (although the latter is less important).

I am thinking some kind of folding knife and a multitool might be the way to go, but again I admittedly know nothing about this sort of thing.

4. itstime

itstime

Take a look at ESEE knives and Blind Horse knives. ESEE is the best company to deal with for production knives.

They have a no worry warranty. I doubt you will ever need it but it is there.

Blind Horse is a small group that make hand made knives. They focus on Bushcraft and hunting and camping style knives.

5. Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

Thanks. Any particular models you would recommend?

6. itstime

itstime

I would go as big with the ESEE as you think you would need. The models are pretty straight forward. Ranging from the 3 to the Junglas that has a 10 inch blade. The only difference is the 5 that is a 1/4 in. 1095 steel vs. 3/16 in. Meaning it is quite a bit thicker and heavier and better for chopping.

You have to look at the Blind Horses They tend to be smaller fixed blades for general uses as you stated and are good for general cutting and skinning chores if need be.

There are way more knives out there than guns.

Keep asking questions, I didn't mention folders or multitools and always have one of those on me also.

We can go there also.

What I mentioned to begin with are trusted good knives. More importantly good people behind them.

7. jr05

jr05

The esee 3 or 4 are both excellent, all depends on what blade length you are looking for.

I would go with the 4 since it has a wider blade and you can use it for battoning more easily if needed. Both are great though and it just depends on what size you are looking for.

A good quality folder like a spyderco delica or endura would also be nice to have.

8. Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

What do you think of multi-tools? Does one stand out?

Do you think a folder and a multi-tool would cover most practical eventualities or should I go with a multi tool and a longer fixed blade?

9. itstime

itstime

There is a thread going right now about Leatherman multi's. Read through there.

10. Nemesis Lead

Nemesis Lead

11. itstime

itstime

I also agree with jr05. The ESEE 4 is a solid sized knife. It's the smallest knife I would carry as a big knife. It's big enough to do some work and not too small.

I just thought of a great knife that won't break the bank. You can buy one for everyone on the trip. Check out Mora knives. It's what Cody carries around his neck on Dual Survivors.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

I like to carry a Victorinox, 'Sentinel' with a partially serrated blade in my front pocket. Been doing it now for, at least, the past 30 years. I've got large (and small) Randall-Made and custom Gil Hibben knives that I use less and less frequently, nowadays; but the Victorinox folder is always there. My most recent one came from the factory, literally, sharp as a razor! (NOT the kind of knife you want to feel the edge on to know if it's sharp - Touch a Victorinox edge and you're going to bleed!)

NOT overly expensive, very good stainless steel, holds an edge really well, and the little pair of tweezers has saved me from many a time when I would have had to carry a splinter around with me all day long if I hadn't had those little tweezers available. Just so you know, as small as it is, (3 1/8 inch blade) a, 'Sentinel' in a knowing reverse grip can be a highly effective SD weapon.

I use the partially serrated blade for all different sorts of cutting chores: rope, cardboard, packing tape, human skin, etc. :supergrin: Anything that's relatively soft cuts better with a serrrated edge. I've often left my straight knife sheathed, and eaten with only my serrated edge folder. Here's what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great (secondary) pocket knife that you'll end up using a lot more than you think! :thumbsup:

13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I rarely pass up an opportunity recommend Blind Horse Knives.... or post this pic :supergrin:

[​IMG]

14. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Take a look at DPx HEST 2.0 titanium framed folder.

Good blade geometry for utility, tough D2 steel. Clever design includes holes for stripping wire, hex bit driver, glass breaker, bottle opener.

Also has ability to lock into fixed blade, built to take a beating.

sent via Tapatalk

15. Teej

Teej

They look like Ontario RAT & Ranger knives with ESEE logo's on the blades. Possibly not.

But in either case I'd suggest looking into Ontario RAT and Ranger knives. I'd also recommend taking a look at the Cold Steel SRK knife.

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/ranger-series-knives/

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS3...ife-6-inch-AUS-8A-Steel-Blade-SecureEx-Sheath

16. GunAround

GunAround

Bark River is one of my favorite knife makers.

Fallkniven has some nice ones too. The F1, S1 and H1 would all fit the bill.

17. syntaxerrorsix

ESEE was originally RAT Cutlery and made the knives for Ontario. So technically you should have stated that Ontario Rat looks like ESEE.

They had a falling out because ESEE wanted to build higher end products so they split.

ESEE have a better heat treat and are typically of better quality than the Ontario versions.

I wouldn't recommend Cold Steel or Aus 8 for anything more than movie props personally but the OP did say he had $300 dollar budget which would lead me to believe he isn't looking for a bargain basement knife.

18. v-12

v-12

I have no comment or recommendation towards the more expensive knives; I don't own any although I'd love to one day. Since you said possibly two knives (one for the wife) I'd get a plastic handled Mora for her- maybe either the bushcraft or the light my fire version to have an extra fire steel. It will do everything you stated that you require from a knife. They do not have to be babied. Mine does everything I have ever needed a knife to do; if it can't do it I probably shouldn't be using a knife for the task. YMMV, IMHO, etc.

19. lumbermill

lumbermill

I would second the Bark River and Falkniven blades. I personally varry the Bravo Necker and Leatherman multi when backpacking. I used to carry the Montana Guide as well, but it went when I put my pack on a weight loss program! They make many other blades that are light-ish, strong, and general purpose. Most of my trips are 10 days. Usually in the Wind River Mtns. I have never felt underserved by my choice in knives. You may want to check out the Spyderco H1 series knives. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on one of those here lately.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. syntaxerrorsix

Best bang for your buck. Everyone in the family should have a Mora.