close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen4 Glock27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by stafford, Feb 19, 2012.

1. stafford

stafford

Oct 23, 2011
    Crandall, Georgia
    I got this pistol new back around Thanksgiving and it's ran perfectly, absolutely no problems at all. I really like the pistol. I've been mostly shooting WWB 180 grain and Federal Champion 180 Grain ammo thru it . I also bought some remington JHP 180 grain. I'd go out and shoot 75 or a 100 rounds through it no problem at all with the recoil. Then one afternoon we'd shot a couiople hundred rounds and I shot about 50 more with the Remington JHP. By the time I was through shooting that day my hand was getting very sensitive to the recoil. I really hate to admit this but I shot it yesterday and it's still hurting my hand and wrist, I'm not some wimpy little feller that's limp wristing, it's just jarring the hell out of me. Thinking maybe a 9MM conversion but I don't know if this will help me or not, I've never shot a 9MM. I'm not a youngster any more at 57 i just can't believe how this thing all of a sudden is being so hard on me. I'm fairly stout at 240 and really nothing has ever got the best of me before this. Does anybody here have any ideas what I might do? I really like the pistol and carry it quite a lot, I work in a gun free zone and can't take it there, but otherwise I keep it very close by.
    Thanks, Stafford:crying:

P.S. It's been at least 6 weeks since I'd shot it last maybe more, I thought i'd get over whatever it was bothering me in that amount of time but it actually seems worse.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. 153

Dec 31, 2011
    First time out with my 27, it bucked my hand pretty good and the trigger bit me. I was excited about the new gun and caliber, but concerned it was a bit of a beast. ( I also have both a 26 and 19)

On subsequent trips to the range I made sure that I gripped the pistol firmly and concentrated more on each shot. The trigger no longer stuck me and the 27 seemed more controllable. It's still a handfull though and after a mag or two I can feel it! But I don't pour 200+ rounds through any of my pistols on a range trip - more like 20 to 30 tops.

The .40 is stout, but nothing you can't manage. Just back off on the round count and concentrate on making each shot a good one. I have a friend that reloads and he loaded up some 165 grain FMC that's a bit more user friendly.

I'm still getting used to the feel of my 27, but have been very pleased that my accuracy with it is equal to my much milder 26. But heck, getting used to the pistol is more than half the fun.

3. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Get a Storm Lake G27 40-9mm conversion barrel ($144.34 including shipping),
    G26 mags and be happy!

I have one in my G27 right now.
    Just dropped in and fit perfect.
    250 rounds of Speer GDHP 9mm 124 gr +P flawlessly.
    Very soft recoil compared to 40 - IMHO.

Storm Lake Conversion Barrel Glock 27 40 S&W to 9mm Luger 1 in 16" Twist 3.46" Stainless Steel
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...o-9mm-luger-1-in-16-twist-346-stainless-steel
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Plus the barrel is relativley accurate - LOL!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. stafford

stafford

Oct 23, 2011
    Crandall, Georgia
    Thanks for the advice 153 and Barth, I'm seriously considering using a 9MM barrel and mags on it. I went outside and tried it again and found that i was squeezing it really hard with the upper part of my grip, trying to control the muzzle flip, that's what's hurting the web and inside of my thumb, I enjoy shooting the 27 but it's not a lot of fun when it hurts every shot. I was hoping that a coupla months would let my hand get better but it's still kinda tender in the web area when I shoot.
    Thanks again, Stafford

5. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    Sell it and get a Glock 26. Personally I wouldn't trust an aftermarket barrel for self-defense, but that's just me.

6. gusbuster

gusbuster

Aug 9, 2009
    FL
    You could also try a stock G33 barrel and shoot 357 Sig, but I would rent one first to see how you like it. Walmart sometimes has some lighter 40 cal 135 grain Federal JHP, or the Corbon/Barnes copper JHP 135 grain at approx 1200 fps which is pretty close to a 9mm +p and it is supposed to be a good defensive round, but it is very pricey. They also have a similar one from Black Hills which is a little bit better in price because it comes in a 50 round box. This one is available sometimes from Ammo To Go. I would not trust a 9mm in a 40cal gun for defensive purposes; however, for plinking and target shooting it's okay.

7. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    i would be willing to bet you would have had the same issue with a 26 if in the same situation....

give it a couple of weeks and go shoot a hundred rounds....

your going to get tired and your hand is going to start hurting after shooting just about anything after a few hundred rounds....ok, maybe not a 22, but you get the picture....

8. ArLEOret

ArLEOret

Dec 27, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    I had the same problem. I am 77 and I know the problem with firing the 40 S&W. I do like my 27, but, I replaced the barrels in my 23, 22, and 27 with the Lone Wolf 40 to 9 barrels. No pain now with the Glocks.

9. Bald Baron

Bald Baron Hermit

Jan 5, 2012
    Elkader, Iowa
    I had the same problem. A less expensive fix and one that lets you use the .40 ammo is to replace the 16 lb recoil spring assembly with an 18 lb one. It really softens the recoil and makes shooting fun again. That is my experience anyway.:wavey: