close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen3 G19 stolen

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FP2000H, Mar 16, 2012.

1. FP2000H

FP2000H I'm awesome

So, my brother's Gen3 G19 is missing from his apartment. We're positive somebody gained access to it and has stolen the firearm. He never takes it shooting. He discovered it missing yesterday but can't be sure of the actually day it went missing. He says he remembers seeing it around last week, but there are a lot of days in between. It's a Gen 3 with Meprolights installed from 2004 sometime. It was taken along with a factory 33 round magazine.

ETA: CONFIRMED - the serial number is FZR-076. It was my first pistol ever and I was very familiar with it. I thought about putting this in the classifieds and my main intention in starting this ad was in case anyone here came across somebody selling one in the greater Austin area.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

What do mean "gained access"? Does he keep his apartment locked up? No signs of forced entry? If the gun is missing but there wasn't forced entry then I would imagine it has to be someone who know the gun was there, especially if that is all the stole.

3. dakrat

dakrat

sorry to hear that. good luck with the recovery

4. FP2000H

FP2000H I'm awesome

He just keeps it by the bedside. His mattress is on the floor. Anyone walking into his bedroom would see it right there.

At this time, I'm thinking a maintenance or service provider gained access to the apartment somehow while he was at work. He has other items of value that could have easily been lifted as well but this is the only thing missing (at least that he knows of at this time). He said he tossed the whole apartment looking for it.

He keeps it locked when he's out, of course. He's notifying the complex tomorrow and filing a police report. He worked today and didn't make time to do it. :upeyes:

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Has he contacted management to find out who/when recently went into the apartment, according to them?

He keeps it locked "when he's out"? What about when he is there? Or around? Take the trash out, leave it unlocked, Glock grows legs?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. shilowar

shilowar

wow, I'd have a little more urgency if one of my guns were stolen.

7. DannyII

DannyII

I'd have A LOT more urgency!

Obviously, I don't know your brother, but to be this casual about a a breaking and entering, and particularly a stolen weapon is a big red flag to me that it was not actually stolen. Add to that that only the gun was stolen, and nothing else - no tv, dvd, computer, etc.

Doesn't pass the smell test for me.

8. NucPhysics

NucPhysics

When I lived in an apartment years ago, there was a maintenance man that went into apartments all the time without permission or cause. Got caught stealing music CDs but was never fired. Once he even went into an apartment by a police officer that worked nights. She didn't answer the door right away so he keyed in figuring no one was home. She reported it to management but nothing happened as technically no crime had occurred. (The SOB was lucky he didn't get shot)

Bottom line is I doubt the apartment complex will have any record as the person who possibly stole it would have never filed anything he/she was even in there. Best of luck though.

9. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Yep, gotta agree. The whole thing stinks.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

10. FP2000H

FP2000H I'm awesome

He went down to talk to the apartment complex today. Of course, the weekend yahoos were no help and told him he would have to talk to the property manager when she returns on Monday.

It may have been missing as long as a week. He just noticed it wasn't where he usually leaves it and figured he misplaced it. He says he's still hoping he has just absentmindedly put it somewhere while he was cleaning or something.

He's filing a police report today by phone. I gave him the serial number I'm almost positive belongs to the gun. We're going to go with that for now.

He has somewhat of the defeatist attitude, and I'm sure he's probably thinking it's a lost cause by this point. I can't say I disagree.

11. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

That's a bummer for sure. But there is TOO much fail in this story.

"He says he remembers seeing it around last week" What? He should know exactly where that gun is at all times.

"I can't be 100% sure of the serial number" Serial #'s of things with any kind of value needs to be recorded especially firearms.

"He's notifying the complex tomorrow and filing a police report" Should have been the first thing he did after noticing it went missing.

Owning a firearm is not like owning a dvd player and should not be taken into so casually. Hopefully your brother will recover it and learn from this experience.

12. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

Guns need to be locked up when not in use period. That gun is long gone. He needs to report the serial number as missing.

13. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

You better be damn sure you have the right serial number. If you report the wrong number you can create a nightmare for someone else.

14. FP2000H

FP2000H I'm awesome

No where to lock it up in apartment living. No safe - nothing. He could have just closed the case and they'd have just opened it up and taken the gun out anyway.

No doubt. I'm 99.99% positive of the serial. It was my first gun. You never forget your first.

I'm going to verify it anyway Tuesday with the FFL just to be sure.

15. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

I don't want to sound like the guy with all the answers but the first thing I always did when I moved into an apartment was to create a secure gun area if that meant nothing more than going down to the hardware store and putting a keyed locking door nob on the closet door. Usually, I would bolt a small inexpensive pistol safe to a closet shelf that was secure or to a floor or wall studs. No I could not prevent theft but I could slow the bad guy down at least and I knew the weapon was secure from anyone else who might be curious but not bent on stealing. It was worth whatever I lost in the deposit to do so.

16. FP2000H

FP2000H I'm awesome

I could never see him doing anything like that. His money goes to his vices mostly: alcohol and cigarettes. He only owns, well owned, three firearms. I've given him all three as gifts. I guess it's a lot easier to sneak a GLock out of an apartment under your shirt than a shotgun or an AR or a full set of drums.

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I consider the inside of my locked home as locked up.

18. MikeG36

MikeG36

Yep! I agree. Something not right here.

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Easy come, easy go.

Also, perhaps he isn't ready/mature enough for firearms ownership.

20. Bruce M

Bruce M

Since you are going to contact your FFL you may want to ask for a duplicate receipt. Some agencies will not take a report or enter the serial into NCIC without some proof of ownership.