close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 G17 saga continues. What next?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by zoti, Oct 10, 2010.

1. zoti

zoti

So my Gen4 G17 came back from Glock last week and today I went shooting again. I've put 200 rounds of Federal through it. About 60 of those were during an IDPA match. So I had one stove pipe during the first 140 rounds and 2 while shooting the IDPA match.

I'm kind of starting to get tired of this whole thing. I've shot 2500-2700 rounds through this gun with an estimate of 25-30 malfunctions. All stove pipes.

The gun has been to Glock twice already.

- I have the 0-2 spring installed. It was the first thing I replaced when Glock started offering it.
    - The first time it went to Glock they replaced the trigger housing, slide stop lever, trigger housing pin.
    - Then I found out the new trigger housing is getting "eaten" by the slide and they sent me a new trigger housing.
    - Second time it went to Glock they replace the extractor, plunger, spring and bearing.

I have shot WWB, Federal, Monarch steel and green case and 124gr rounds through it. The funny thing is I did not have any malfunctions with the Monarch but the others including the 124gr (sorry, I don't remember the name of it) all had FTE.

I have used 5 different magazines. 2 that came with the gun. 2 that I bought after and one 33rd magazine. All Glock original.

And before anyone will say "limp wristing" or shooter fatigue I can guarantee it's neither. I have a G21 and a G33 and both shoot fine with no issues at all. I even have a LW 9mm conversion barrel for the G33 and it works just fine.

I tried to purposely limp wrist holding the gun with 2 fingers and a thumb letting it bounce all over and I couldn't get it to FTE.

I basically feel that I have give this gun every chance to work right including sending it to Glock TWICE and it still malfunction.

On the good side, I'm good with clearing stove pipes now.

So, what would you do if you were me? Should I call Glock and demand they replace the gun? I don't really see how they can fix it if they didn't until now. They replaced all the internals in this gun already.

2. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

Id ask them to replace it, as Im hoping they do with my brand new 30sf with 220 rounds through it with 21 FTRTB's within those 220 rounds that is at Glock as I type this.

3. RightYouAreKen

RightYouAreKen

Maybe try one of the higher power rounds from the list Danny posted in this thread that I started. I've been having problems with my G19 Gen4 (mostly FTFs) and tried some stronger loads today with very good luck. The velocity difference of ejected casings between the cheap Federal Champion 115gr and the American Eagle 147gr was HUGE. I would imagine these stronger loads would really lessen stovepipe malfunctions.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272940

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. Commander Keen

Commander Keen

If you really think it's a lemon, you could ship it to me and I'd be more than happy to inspect it for you...

5. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

Good Luck on Glock replacing it.

I asked them to replace my G17 G4 (very nicely) and I got the big middle finger.

6. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Ask Glock to replace it with a Gen 3. If that does not work, try and work with your dealer to either exchange for a Gen 3 or you can try and sell it.

7. B_RAD

B_RAD

The Gen4 is an absolute failure in my opinion! I don't care how many people have had 100% with theirs. I've read, seen and heard of to many others that have had lots of problems! I don't want to hear "run this type" or "run 115". A Glock should just run 99.999999999% of the time! Why did they even change the spring set up?! In my opinion Glock should cut their losses and give everyone a Gen3 and end this line and add the successes to the Gen3 line. I do like the new mag release and the grip texture but the spring situation is a nightmare to me. It seems like half of the people that have one or having several problems with the recoil spring. I'm sure I'm going to get attacked but to many people are having problems with their GLOCKS! This makes me wonder what kind of product testing they did if any before they rolled this line out?

8. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Glocks should not require special ammunition. I don't care what anybody says, every single one of my Glocks has been, and will be 100% with ANY ammunition.

9. zoti

zoti

I have no intention of trying different ammo. Already tried at least 5-6 different types. All of them shoot fine in other guns. There is no reason they shouldn't work in this one.

If Glock doesn't replace it (I'll contact them tomorrow) then I will keep sending them the gun.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

It was you who originally suggested the possibility of the FTE's being caused by the extractor. Subsequent to that, it has been pointed out that there has been a slight change to the shape of the extractor, and it is now somewhat more difficult to remove (at least when new). I have suggested in a couple threads that it might be worthwhile to take one of the old style extractors and substitute it. I'm sure that when they replaced your extractor, they would have replaced it with one of the new style, so that wouldn't have helped. Have you checked to make sure that the extractor, when installed without the extractor plunger, moves freely without binding? Another poster mentioned that his tended to hang up on a specific spot until it was hit with a file ever so slightly, and then it began ejecting reliably. The extractor (or the slot for it) is the one thing that would explain why only a small percentage of the guns seem to have a problem.

Failing any of this to work, they should be willing to pony up a new gun at this point.

11. zoti

zoti

And it's not the spring. I'm pretty sure this is an extraction problem. I just don't have a gen 3 to compare to.

12. OmniscientX

OmniscientX

I love seeing all these threads about perfection. :rofl:

Sorry to hear about the trouble though. Hopefully you can exchange it for a Gen3.

13. B_RAD

B_RAD

I was under the impression it was related to the spring? Whatever it is, why did they change it? I'm pretty sure it's not the new mag release, the new texture and probably not the new back straps? Haven't they ever heard if it ain't broke don't fix it? If it is indeed a new extractor design, then I would just ask why? I have three Gen3 and have had about a dozen others in different calibers and I've never had any malfunction of any kind after firing 1000s of rounds of every type.

14. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. TXNAV8R

TXNAV8R

Do they pay the shipping?

I've never had to send a gun to them (i.e: I don't own a Gen 4)

:tongueout:

16. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

they paid for my shipping... and :tongueout:...I had to send them a gen 3.

17. zoti

zoti

They did for the two times I sent them and I insist they will if I need to send the gun again. It's a warranty repair.

And to all those that suggest a g gen 3. No thanks. I love the gen 4 improvements. I just need one that is reliable.

18. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I understand your frustration with the gun. But all the ammo you listed as having put through the gun appear to be lower velocity ammo. I would try some hot ammo, for a good 200 rounds or so. I believe you can put lower velocity ammo through it all day long, and never realize the benefit of a good break-in. Especially considering that the recoil spring has been replaced at least once.

While Glocks have not traditionally required a break-in period. It appears they have tightened up or hardened certain aspects of the gun, in order to address some previous complaints. Because of that, it appears that some of the current guns do in fact require a proper break-in. Most likely because of the recoil spring.

19. bentbiker

bentbiker

Zoti, do you not know anyone in Plano with an older Gen3 G19? Is there anybody with a spare extractor of the prior design that could mail it to Zoti for a quick test. The only one I have is used in my HD weapon. My only spare is of the new shape. The fact that the other poster had immediate success in eliminating weak ejections by hitting it with a file gives encouragement that you are correct about this whole thing NOT being related to the recoil spring at all.

20. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

It doesn't matter how many different types of ammo you have tried, if they are not of sufficient velocity.

This is a perfect example of quality over quantity, where quality = velocity, and quantity = different types of inferior products. At least for the purposes of break-in.