close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 G17 FDE GTG

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Raleigh Glocker, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Raleigh Glocker

Raleigh Glocker

Well, I just happened across the FDE thread on Friday, and I knew who to call to see if one was available. Sure enough, Young Guns in Apex, NC, had a few, so I drove right over and bought my first 9mm ever.

Now, I own plenty of handguns, but my first was a G20 I bought new in 1992. The rest of the autoloaders are 40 S&W, including a Gen 4 G23 that I have been using as my EDC since late 2010. I've always wanted to get a G17, but it wasn't until recently that I felt SD ammo has closed the gap that once existed between the 40 and the 9.

So, being a perpetual fence sitter about this, the FDE frame is just what I needed to make the jump. Wow, I was sure missing out on a great gun.

My test fire date is only a few weeks ago, so of course my G17 has all of the updated parts, and it seems to show. Though my NIB G23 beaned me in the forehead with brass for the first 300 rounds, this G17 nicely placed about half my brass right into my range bag sitting open over my right shoulder. No lie. This is a reloader's dream. :)

The first rounds were some Hornady SD rounds, the only I could find off-the-shelf around here. I wanted to give my new G17 a fighting chance with the hotter loads before popping off 200 rounds of UMC 115gr. What a sweetheart to shoot! I mean, really, I don't think I've ever enjoyed shooting an autoloader so much.

What punctuated it for me was when I finished with 13 rounds of Ranger T-Series out of my G23 to finish my time at the range. Holy crap! I know that 40 S&W has a snap to it compared to 9mm, but the G23's shorter slide and the hotter load really drove home how nice the G17 shoots range ammo.

No pics because, hey, it looks exactly like the rest and I don't have the time to get a good one right now.

Anyway, thanks to my GT brothers and sisters for letting me know about the FDE, and curse you for not insisting I get a G17 years ago when I joined here.
    :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

congrats, i got a fde 19 and have not shot it yet.

3. bam1131

bam1131

I bought my g17 right before I heard about the FDE. I really wish I would have known to wait but either way I love my g17. Zero Malfunctions since I purchased it (900+ rounds), and I'm not just saying that. great, reliable gun

4. bam1131

bam1131

I bought my g17 right before I heard about the FDE. I really wish I would have known to wait but either way I love my g17. Zero Malfunctions since I purchased it (900+ rounds), and I'm not just saying that. great, reliable gun

5. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

6. larson1122

larson1122

7. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Congrats and good luck!:wavey:

8. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new FDE G17! I had that one and the G19 in my hand when I picked the 19...I have a G17 which is just a couple of months old, and my other G19 is from early last year, and has had almost all the internals replaced.

9. bac1023

bac1023

10. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

I too bought a G17 FDE. Figured it was time to add the fourth generation 9mm to the Model 17 stable. Picked it up on Friday.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  11. NCWalrus

NCWalrus

Congrats man

The FDE frames encourage my first Glock purchase and I couldn't be happier

Glad to hear ur not eatin brass

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine