close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 31 Sig 357 Impression

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The Viking, Aug 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. The Viking

The Viking

Ok no one talked me out of buying one ( darn ) so I had to go get it. I had read a lot about this cartridge and liked everything I read. Apparently, it is quite a cartridge. Some of the things mentioned in various places were ( in a hodge podge summary of descriptions): (1) because of its shape feeding issues are non existent, (2) it duplicates the 357 mag touted as the best one shot stop cartridge ( yes I know this debate is a contentious one), (3) a police force troubled with big dogs saw one 357 sig round put a big dog down easily, (4) the air marshals use the round because it easily penetrates barriers, (5) five state police forces use it, ( 6) the Glock's flexibility allows it to give less recoil than the revolver with this round, (7) if you believe velocity equals stopping power this is the cartridge for you and (8) the secret service uses it etc etc.
    Of course I immediately took the pistol to the range to shoot it. I took two different types of ammo with me. Sellier & Bellot FMJ 140 grain ( shoot em up rounds) and Hornady 124 gr XTP (defensive carry ammo).
    The Sellier ammo gave a pretty good flash and boom. Pretty snappy. Fired 75 rounds through the pistol. Had one brass case of the 75 hit me in the forehead; but that may be because it bounced off the roof of the indoor range which is rather low. More testing in order. Had to hold on to the pistol with this round. This is where the RTF finish on the grip seemed to help control the pistol. I really liked that finish. Don't know how I would like it in a tactical course with 4 or 5 days of shooting though. Anyone have any experience with this?
    The 124 grain XTP Hornady ammo ( muzzle 1350fps) was very manageable and seemed very tame and was very easily controllable compared to the 140 grain Selliot ammo. No big boom and little felt recoil. I really liked it as a defensive round. Very manageable.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ln6DcUxhE"].357 SIG Hornady XTP 124 gr AMMO TEST - YouTube[/ame]
    Anyone have any better suggestions for a defensive round and their reasons why before I settle on this round as my carry round?
    Next I will have to shoot my 40 caliber Glock alongside this new pistol to see which one I would like better. Right now I am leaning toward the .357 Sig. How about you?

2. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Congrats. I don't have any first hand but from what I read it seems the Gold Dot in .357 SIG is the round with the biggest track record in police use. Might be worth checking out. If I recall correctly there are two flavors, original at a higher velocity and an LP (lower penetration?) version that runs a bit slower. Sgammo.com usually has both and fmj in stock.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

3. barth

barth six barrels

I love 357 Sig.
    Super accurate and the ballistics speak for themselves.
    LE street record appears outstanding.
    Of my four autos I keep two loaded in 357 Sig.

After shooting literally cases of 357 the only down side
    I've seen is the round appears to be more susceptible to bullet set back than others. And, although rare, I seems I run across more out of spec LE grade ammo in 357 than other calibers. In all fairness I think I shoot more 357 than anything else. So that may just be a reflection of volume.

But for SD shooting in 9mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W and 45 ACP;
    I prefer 357 Sig.

Oh ammo?
    Everybody that knows me knows how I feel about that.
    I always run LE ammo in my SD autos.
    125 gr 357 Sig -
    Winchester Ranger T-Series,
    Speer GDHP,
    Federal HST.

I usually run Ranger Ts as they are the most accurate
    of the three in my guns with me pulling the trigger.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  4. The Viking

The Viking

One thing I forgot to mention is my eccentric fetish about weight. The unloaded .357 Sig feels heavier than most Glocks probably because of its heavier barrel; however, the loaded .357 mag actually weighs less than the loaded mag of the 40 caliber. That makes the pistols overall weight lighter than the 4o cal Glock.
    I like light weights so that plays a little part in my selection of it also. I am a bit of nutter on weight.

5. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  6. elijah58

elijah58

You can't go wrong with the .357 sig. Love it, love it, love it

7. AustinTx

AustinTx

The 40 S&W will probably be heavier because most people seem to like the 180 gr bullet weight. The 357 SIG is usually 124 gr, so the loaded mags should be slightly lighter, than the 40.

My first Glock was a 33 and 2nd a 31, which I carry, since about 1998.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Gold Dot or Golden Saber Bonded. Hornady is way too expensive and is no better (and arguably isn't as good).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FOFnJVS0E"].357 SIG Speer Gold Dot Ammo Test - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6KbA-HuZ8"].357 SIG Remington Golden Saber Ammo Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

9. pochis

pochis

i would not want a bullet noted for deep penetration like the hornady just my opinion, the fed hst would fit nicely, 2nd choice would be a golddot.:cool:

10. bac1023

bac1023

11. bunk22

bunk22

I have a Gen 4 G23 with a G32 barrel and though the .40 is growing on me, I like the Sig round. When I carry it, I carry .357 Sig, just shoot more .40 as it's cheaper though SD rounds in .357 Sig is less, at least where I live.

12. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

13. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Good report, viking! Glad that you're having fun with the .357SIG setup.

I load 124 gr. XTP on my bench, and it's an outstanding round. I also load the Speer 125 gr. TMJ for practice, so I carry their Gold Dot ammo, which has fed through all of my pistols chambered for that caliber without any issues.

I've just recently tried out some Federal HST when I was breaking in a new P239, and I have to say that the round is also very consistent and accurate.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. in my G33, with a backup magazine of Speer Gold Dots. I believe that the CD ammo is a Cabela's exclusive (along with the CD in 10mm.)

Because I load my own practice ammo, the cost is the same for me as loading 9X19. Also, I am not worried about ammo availability, either.

14. rvrrat14

rvrrat14

For my second Glock I poured over the 357 Sig for the same reasons. In the end I was replacing a 44 wheel gun for more available shots and close to same power. I went with the G20 10mm. Easier to reload and well, just a fine caliber too. I still often review the ballistics of the 357 and think of a third Glock!

15. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Good report!! After having a G31 barrel for my G22, I just had to get a G32RTF2 for sd. .357 Sig round has been my favorite one to shoot for several years now.

16. The Viking

The Viking

Thought seriously about the 10mm; but I was not looking for a wilderness pistol. Just a self defense pistol and the 10 seemed like a bit much. I will probably purchase on in the future though. Still want one.

17. clarkstoncz

clarkstoncz

The good thing about the .357 SIG is that most any modern JHP defense load in the
    caliber is a great choice.

With the Gold Dots leading the pack for most police use and the biggest database so far.

Cor-Bon's 125 gr. Sierra JHP (and the nearly identical Double Tap loading) is what
    has some good stopping power results as well.

I've never played around with any HST but I'm told that it expands well.

I actually liked the milder 147s out of the G33 and M&P357 Compact.

Enjoy those .357s. I hope to be able to buy both a Gen 4 G33 and G31
    soon.

.357 SIG Rocks!
    [​IMG]