Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Gen 3 barrel in Gen 4?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TORCHRIDER, Jul 11, 2013.

TORCHRIDER Wake Up America

Dec 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Guys, I know this has been beaten to death but I cannot find a satisfactory answer from someone who has actually verified it.

I have a Gen 3 G32 (.357) barrel that I want to use in my soon to arrive Gen 4 G23. Will this work?

I have heard:

1. Yes it will
    2. No it wont
    3. Glock says it wont but it will
    4. The barrel has differences in the guide rod area but it will work
    5. The barrel has differences in the guide rod area and it will not work

What is the real answer by someone who has been there and done that?
  2. IDK but this is interesting because I have considered buying various barrels for my gen 4s and would have thought it would work.

Regards, GMB

Dec 14, 2008
    Central Texas
  4. kodiakpb

Jan 12, 2012
    Depends how old the gen 3 is. Recent production gen 3 barrels (as in barrels in gen 3 guns) are exactly the same as Gen 4 barrels. By this I mean the cut on the lug for the RSA is the same.

4Rescue likes this.

Dec 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Now that is great info. I will have to check my barrels. Thanks!
  6. TnShooter83

Aug 15, 2007
    It looks like the newer barrels have some type of markings on the rear lug? What is that? And could you go by those markings to differentiate the newer and older barrels?

Dec 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    Turns out my .357 barrel looks like the old Gen. 3 in your photo. Does that mean I need to unload it and get a Gen. 4 or newer Gen. 3 barrel? Anybody know if it will work?

8. hughiee

Apr 1, 2013
    Gen 3 mid-2007 barrel production has the OLD smaller and rounder cut on the lug. I would recommend not switching out the barrels even on the newer Gen 3's.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  9. Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    It will run just fine.
  10. DocWills

Mar 11, 2012
    They should drop in. Most of the confusion is on whether 3 rsa will fit 4th gen or vice versa. they don't.:supergrin:
  11. crzn01

crzn01 G23 Gen 4 (32)

Jul 29, 2007
    Newport News, VA
    Been using a Gen 3 G-32 barrel in my Gen 4 G-23 for a couple years now with no issue what so ever..........
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  12. Thanks for the post. Just learned something.

Dec 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    OK, all I have managed to do is get more confused. :whistling: I am not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. I will try the older Gen. 3 barrel in the Gen. 4 and if it doesn't work I will let everyone know.
  14. nraman

Dec 9, 2002
    Don't forget that the RSA doesn't really "fit" in the cut, it only rests there till the slide is completely installed on the frame. It is a way to keep the spring put to make installation easier, not for functioning. In normal operation, the spring doesn't touch the barrel at all.
    If you still think that you need to do something, you could take a fine file and work those two corners down a bit. I did it on one of my barrels just because I had nothing better to do, I used a thin shim to cover the vertical surface and when I was done I put a little cold blue on the filed tips.
    I left my other Gen 3 barrels alone, they all work fine in my Gen 4 guns.
  15. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
    I have The following extra barrels, for my 23 Gen 3:
    Lone Wolf 40-9 and Glock 32 Gen 3.
    I contacted Lone Wolf Dist. and asked if these barrels would function, in a Gen 4 23.
    The response was simply "YES".
    There was no mention of whether or not they were "new" or "old" Gen 3 barrels.
  16. Mike-M

Dec 15, 2012
    The RSA for a Gen 4 subcompact model is identical to the RSA for a Gen 3 version. Glock's part numbers for the RSA are the same for any generation of subcompact (only).
  17. Mike-M

Dec 15, 2012
    That is exactly what makes the unnecessary worry about Gen 3 and Gen 4 barrel compatibility all nonsense. Glock's "will fit" info on the parts order form acknowledges no distinction between generations. One can not order a "Gen 4" barrel.

That eliminates the surface hardening in that area that was established by the Tenifer process (still being applied to Austrian-made pistols). This is a low stress area, but still, corrosion resistance is degraded at those points.
  18. Your gen4 Glock will run like a sewing machine with the old gen3 barrel. Source: called Glock about two years ago and asked if I could speak to an technician, the nice lady there said, yes of course now moment please. The technician then said that my gen4 will run just fine with a gen3 barrel in it.

I also asked him what the difference is between the two. He said that the half circle cut out on the barrel lug is shaped differently, but this does not affect reliability if you use a gen4 spring with a gen3 barrel, and that this is the only difference.
  19. clarkz71

Aug 24, 2012
    South Florida
    They are the same. The assembly half circle is just
    that. For assembly, not function.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  20. Please share the serial number (letters only) of the "Gen 3 Recent" barrel. My Gen 3 TTLxxx Aug 2012 barrel looks to be the old style.

CORRECTION: After further examination, my TTLxxx barrel looks like the new style.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013