close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GEN 2 VS. Gen 3

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G-19, Feb 6, 2012.

1. G-19

G-19

Please give me your opinions on the Gen 2 Vs. Gen 3 Glocks.

2. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

I have mixed opinions about them. At this moment, I own 7 glocks (17, 3 x 19, 26, 17L, and 21). The 21 and one of the 19's are Gen 2 while the rest are Gen 3. I carry one of my Gen 3 19's because the finger grooves of the 9/40/357/45 GAP frames fit my hand perfectly, but I like the looks of the glock sans accessory rail. I have owned a Gen 3 Glock 21 and I actually like the feel of the Gen 2 without the rail for the larger frame guns.

My opinion: I will carry the Gen 3 since it fits my hand the best, and they're a dime a dozen, but I will keep the Gen 2's in my collection because I personally like the looks and you don't see them all too often anymore.

3. G36shooter

G36shooter

I like my gen 2's, three of them, a 19, 22(DPD trade-in) and a 23. I like the 'clean' look w/o FGR, with a Hogue slip grip they fit my hand better than my gen 3's.

4. farscott

farscott

For the rounds other than 9x19, I prefer the Gen 3 guns as they are better able to handle the stress of those calibers due to the new locking block design and the extra pin. In 9x19, I have both Gen 2 and Gen 3 guns.

Overall, I prefer the older 9x19 Gen 2 guns as I am not a fan of the finger grooves as they seldom fit my hand. That being said the G19 Gen 3 finger grooves do fit me, and I now carry a pair of them. Still I am more comfortable with the frames sans grooves. My ideal guns are the Gen 3 with finger grooves removed based on my experience with a Robar 3rd gen G29. I now have a 3rd gen G19 frame that has had the grooves removed on the way.

5. Melissa5

Melissa5

I prefer the gen 2 guns because of the smaller grip/no finger grooves and I like the stock triggers more than those on the gen 4 guns.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf

I like the ergonomics on gen2 better.

7. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I would love to find a good deal on a Gen 2 Glock 19.

8. vmann

vmann Controller

i have a gen 2 23 with 3 pins....

9. Quentin

Quentin

I have 3 Glocks and they happen to be Gen 2, 3 and 4. Like them all, nothing wrong with Gen 2 unless you want the accessory rail.

10. G-19

G-19

Thanks for the replies.

11. farscott

farscott

I would love to get the G17 and G19 in that configuration.

12. Priapism

Priapism

Why would a company release new versions of a product that is not an improvement over the last release?

Obviously with Glocks, the newer the generation, the better the gun.

13. farscott

farscott

That is an opinion, not a fact, especially with the 9x19 Gen 4 teething pains and the loss of backward compatibility with major parts (like slides). If you want or need a light rail, Gen 3 is an improvement over Gen 2. If you like finger grooves, Gen 3 is an improvement over Gen 2. If you like neither, it is tough to argue that Gen 3 is an improvement.

I would suggest Glock's real purpose in developing new generations is a way to placate existing and a means to garner new LEO customers. Gen 4 looks to be a response to the issues with G22 and lights as well as a way to address the M&P impact on LEO gun selection. Keeping LEO sales means selling more guns to people influenced by what LEOs carry.

14. Priapism

Priapism

It also makes new sales to existing Glock owners who don't really need another gun but have OCD and are addicted to Glock sites on the internet.

15. mgo

mgo

Gen2 Glocks have smoother grip sides for greater concealed carry comfort when worn under only one shirt.

16. Clydesdale

Clydesdale Mafioso

So are you saying we should be waiting for Glock to come back out with a "Classic"? Sorta like Coke?

Before everybody had to have light rails and finger grooves, Glock 2nd generation guns were pretty awesome.

Glock made 3rd and 4th generation guns to keep up with the competition, not because either model is any better than the 2nd generation.

17. Taphius

Taphius

Need a gen 2 SF.

18. JonInWA

JonInWA

Glock had made numerous improvements over time to each generation of Glocks throughout their respective production cycles. Some are (eventually) announced, others not. Despite both being excellent guns overall, I would much rather have a Gen 3 Glock than a previous generation, and, by extension, once the hiccups are fully sorted out, a Gen4 over a Gen 3 (the Gen4 G21, however, does appear good to go, and is garnering an excellent reputation from the onset)-particularly in the quicker/higher pressure chamberings, such as .40, .357 SIG, and possibly 10mm.

Currently, in 9mm, I prefer a Gen 3 over the Gen4s, but in .40, .357 SIG, and .45 ACP I lean towards the current-production Gen4s.

Best, Jon

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  19. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

I've owned and have been issued Gen 2 guns in the past. Sold them all to upgrade to Gen 3 guns and also when given the chance to switch to a Gen 3 gun I did so at work.

I like the Gen 2 guns and would like to have them for collector sake. In reality I'd like to have every variation of a GLOCK pistol. Gen 1-4, OD frame, SF, different slide marking, two pin vs three pin, etc...

The Gen 2 3 pin guns aren't bad at all and if that's all I had or could have I would not feel bad. I see that Gen 2 guns are starting to get hard to find due to age, wear & tear, and collectibilty. Also I understand that in some states like Massachusetts, Gen 2s are the only legal GLOCK for sale due to some strange AWB law. Not sure if California is like that too.