close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gen 2 G19 is slam firing

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GoBigOrange, Feb 21, 2012.

1. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN
    So I have been looking for a Gen 2 G19 for months. I finally found one one Sunday. It was listed here in the classifieds.

Once I got home I took out the horrid NY1 trigger spring and put the original trigger spring back in. This is where it got scary. I noticed that 50% of the time I dry fired it the trigger would pull as it should and the firing pin would fall but the other 50% of the time the trigger would pull but the firing pin would not fall.

I took it to a local Glock armorer here in Orlando and I explained the problem He started to dry fire it and his eyes got pretty big when he realized the gun was slam firing when he racked the slide. Not only that, but he said it would go full auto if I were to try and shoot it.

He took it apart and tried replacing everything. Long story short, no matter what he replaced the problem continued. He said this was the first Glock in 11 years of working in the store that he has been unable to diagnose the problem. He flat out said the gun was dangerous and that it needed to go back to Glock.He didn't even feel comfortable having it in the store. I'm pretty pissed that the member here on Glocktalk would knowingly trade me a dangerous gun.:steamed: I am so thankful I didn't load this thing in my apartment.

I left a message with Glock and I am praying they will fix it without costing me a fortune.

2. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Oh ya Glock will fix it. I doubt they will charge you to fix it too..

3. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN
    I hope. I certainly wouldn't blame them if they did because someone has obviously screwed with this gun. It certainly isn't Glock's fault.

Any idea how much it will cost to ship a gun?

4. 8th ID

8th ID

May 2, 2009
    KY
    Shipping prices will vary depending on who is doing the shipping. IF you can get an FFL daler to ship it for you, that would be much cheaper. In my area I have paid as much as $70!!!! FedEx will ship but I was told it MUST go overnight.

5. eclark53520

eclark53520

Feb 12, 2007
    WI
    Obviously there is something terribly wrong with the firing pin block.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :agree:

7. Maybe it is one of those ultra rare G18 1/2's.

Full auto in a pocket pistol... ;)

Seriously, send the gun back to Glock for repair/replacement.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    That right there is THE Holy Grail of Glocks

9. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    OP, did you by any chance remove the FP safety plunger while you were changing out the NY1 spring? Regardless, have you checked the FP safety plunger spring to see if it is properly seated in the plunger? It should be locked in the plunger.

10. Melissa5

Melissa5

Feb 4, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Wow! I'm glad you caught that before you tried it with ammo. Sorry you got a messed up gun. Keep us posted about what Glock does to it.

11. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana
    Check the safety plunger and spring for proper installation as well as the trigger bar and firing pin for proper contact..

12. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN

I didn't touch the safety plunger at all. For what it's worth guys, the armorer took the slide completely apart and changed out the firing pin..It still did not solve the issue.

13. Priapism

Priapism

Jan 22, 2012
    "He took it apart and tried replacing everything. "

I doubt that he did this.

14. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN
    Ok, and why is that? I was standing right next to him watching and discussing as we worked through it.

Re replaced the trigger spring, trigger housing, trigger bar, firing pin, the plunger for the extractor.. etc etc.

15. Priapism

Priapism

Jan 22, 2012
    Because if he replaced everything it would have fixed it.

16. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
    does it have the + trigger bar in it ?

17. Check my Gat

Check my Gat

Jan 21, 2012
    Dixie
    +1 that he did not replace everything.

And if you're having an undiagnosed safety issue, that is what you need to do. Replacing everything is the A-bomb of maintenance and should solve all issues assuming your slide and frame are intact everytime.

18. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    very interested in what the cause is. if you dont figure it out before it goes to glock. i hope they actually tell you.

19. ijacek

ijacek

Jun 21, 2008
    FL
    Did he happen to check the proper engagement of the trigger bar against the firing pin? Done with the use of the orange slide cover plate.

20. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Why didn't he feel comfortable with it in the store? Sounds a bit melodramatic.

As for as the GT member "knowingly" trading you a defective gun . . . did it exhibit the problem before you changed the trigger spring?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012