Glock Talk banner

Gen 1 Glocks

45K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  Buckshot Barry 
#1 ·
Why are Gen 1's so hard to find or am I missing something?

#2 ·
1st Gen G17s were only made for a few years - and those years had VERY low production numbers compared to today. If I did my math correctly, there were only about 115,000 Glocks (G17, G18 and G19) made to the end of Gen 1 production worldwide.

Attrition - how many guns (not just Glocks) are lost to fire, flood, etc?

Finally, most guys that have older Glocks just keep them. I work in a shop and can tell you that for roughly every 10 used Glocks we get, 9 will have been made in the past 2 years.

#3 ·
A lot of the 1st gen Glocks were issued to Law Enforcement Agencies and were up-graded with new trigger bars, fps, firing pins and extractors. They were used and abused by the Police and eventually ended up on the Surplus Markets, which have long since dried up.

I go to gun shows all the time and when I do see a 1st gen they are almost always in fair condition. A few years ago I found a NIB AA*** Glock 17 for selling for $400. Some old man had it, and I would have bought it but at the time I didn't have any money with me. A like new minty Glock 17 gen 1 can sometimes be found on Gunbroker.com

I happen to own a minty gen 1 that has all it's original components. It has the black serial number plate, all the black guts and does not have the lanyard hole in the grip. I baby this gun and occasionally will take it out of the safe and shoot it at the range.

#54 ·
I happen to own a minty gen 1 that has all it's original components. It has the black serial number plate, all the black guts and does not have the lanyard hole in the grip. I baby this gun and occasionally will take it out of the safe and shoot it at the range.
Thank you Quail Fat, I realize your post is 10 years old, but you just answered my question about the newly released P80 classic edition not having a lanyard hole.

#5 ·
Does this mean I should hang on to my G17 serial ARM053US.

Does it make it worth more than the $489.00 I paid for it?

Bull
No, that's a Gen 2 pistol. Gen 1s were over before they got half-way through the 2-digit alpha prefixes.

The value on your pistol depends on a lot of things, including, where in the country you are, the condition, and if it still has everything with it. In my part of the country, a used Gen-2 G17 is a $400 gun, TOPS (in perfect, near-new shape with all accessories).

#9 · (Edited)
A lot of the 1st gen Glocks were issued to Law Enforcement Agencies and were up-graded with new trigger bars, fps, firing pins and extractors. They were used and abused by the Police and eventually ended up on the Surplus Markets, which have long since dried up.

I go to gun shows all the time and when I do see a 1st gen they are almost always in fair condition. A few years ago I found a NIB AA*** Glock 17 for selling for $400. Some old man had it, and I would have bought it but at the time I didn't have any money with me. A like new minty Glock 17 gen 1 can sometimes be found on Gunbroker.com

Unless they are SWAT, etc... or the rare "shooter" police officer, you would be hard pressed to find an well used police gun. Abused? Most of them never come out of the holster. I can't speak to the cleaning aspect of abuse, but our 2nd Gen G22s are rocking fine since '97.

ETA- I have an AH and an AL 1st Gen gun. one was given to me and the other was purchased at a pawn shop about 3 years ago for 300ish.

Both have been upgraded, but I kept the original guts on one of them. The other was done before I got it. I don't baby them, I just have so many Glocks, they never get shot. I think I might get a threaded barrel and suppressor for one of them.

As an aside, I think the first few thousand guns brought in started around the AE AF serial ranges since they were closer to the door when shipping began.

#11 ·
Someone, somewhere, has "AA000US". There was a thread about the oldest Glock owned by a board member. I think if you use the search function on this forum, you will find it. If not, try searching all of Glock Talk with the search function up near the top of the page.

#12 ·
I picked one up for a tick over $300 and I believe it is a decommissioned DC cop side arm. Serial number is DCxxxUS which is not AA000US but it's pretty old and surely a Gen 1, right?

Are there anything I should check out and maybe replace if I want to breath a little life into it? Anything I should check, change, replace? Fires fine now but I can't hit the side of a barn whereas I can shoot the hell out of my G23 Gen 3.

Is it me or is the Gen 1 a little loosey goosey, to use the technical term. Or maybe I just have not put enough time and ammo through her at the range and she's perfectly accurate as-is.

All the internals are black so maybe it is all original. The only thing I have done so far is replace the 8# NY trigger with a 5.5#, though I want to move to a 3.5# on both this Gen 1 and the G23.

Anyway, sorry to prattle on, but I was happy to find this gem at the gun show.

#13 ·
Gen 1s are very easy to identify with their smooth, pebbled grip including backstrap and frontstrap. IMO, that's more definitive than a serial number, but I suppose a Gen 1 frame could be replaced with a Gen 2, especially if it was a police gun. (Glock would change out the frame for a nominal charge back then.). So, you could have a Gen1 serial numbered gun without the gen1 frame...

If you still have black parts, though, I rather doubt that's the case, since Glock would have changed out those trigger group parts for free when they saw them. If you want to shoot it and changing trigger parts to non-original is on the list of changes, I'd get a trigger parts upgrade kit and sell the old parts here to a collector.

#14 · (Edited)
I picked up a G17 slide for $250 from Ed's Public Safety from Georgia, should be made around 1988, matching barrel...
I believe, Lone Wolf refinished the bluing for around $60 ...
I shoot it with my G22 frame, never had a single hickup ...
Here some pix:

Before:

After:

Reactions: Glockdude1
#15 ·
And people gripe about Glock's not changing ('til the Gen 4 came about), but look at how cool it is that a Gen 1 slide/barrel fits on a Gen 3 G-22 frame so well that it looks like it was made for it!

That's a nice set up .38Super... :wavey:

#16 ·
And people gripe about Glock's not changing ('til the Gen 4 came about), but look at how cool it is that a Gen 1 slide/barrel fits on a Gen 3 G-22 frame so well that it looks like it was made for it!

That's a nice set up .38Super... :wavey:
Thanks, actually the whole setup goes like this:

I am not Glock fan by any means, for me all weapons are just tools, this is my understanding, but I also think that everyone should have a Glock, just as everyone should have a AR and AK if you would...
I'm a SA/1911 type guy but I got the Glock to see what is all that hype about. I'm not going to bother you with the findings, bottom line, I would never carry a Glock without polishing some parts and bringing the trigger to some normal level, of course I could be wrong, bit hey - it doesn't work for me as a sum of features the way it is when is in stock configuration...
So I went online, got the G22 from Gunbroker, than Nate from Ed's Public safety was so nice to find the gen1 G17 slide for me and about several month ago I got the .357sig barrel from Glockmeister... I love the setup, I think Glock is most succesful in G17 platform ( and G19 but I do not like compact guns generaly...), G22 is a good service weapon, absolutely love the .357sig but I dont think this round is suitable for home defence or any other defence...imho... So this is how I got in to Glocks, they are good guns...companywise, I cannot support such statement, but again - maybee I'm wrong...:cool:

Glockmaister initially sent a wrong, ported barrel, than he sent the right-one, what I've done on the G22 is - polishing whatever needed, installed: tungsten guide rod with 15# spring, Ghost 3.5# connector, Glock night sights (Nate was so kind to do it before they ship the gun, good place to buy Glocks, highly recommended!), I got the Pearce gripp for control, I can go without it, but the important thing for me is to be able to do most of the things w the gun with one hand, so that's why I keep it... I replaced all the pins, the old-ones were too loosed, believe or not... Longer slide stop, aftermarket (wider) slide lock because I cannot feel the stock-one out on the field, dirty, sweaty, especialy with gloves on...same reason for the longer mag release...what else...the beavertail...that's about everything with the G22.
G17 slide fits perfectly, never had any problems with it, nor with the .357barrel setup. I have been ising the G22 mags for .357sig but I had very few, probably 3-4 out of 5-600 rounds, FTF's and found out that I have to get a G31 mags to get a reliable feeding...Not a big deal...Never had problems with the ejector of the G22 frame paired with the G17 slide, the ejectors are are diferent between frames but in my case I got steady ejection, all in one direction, flying out far from the gun.
I cannot thing about anything else...Oh, yeah - I had several non-fired primers, only with russian Tula ammo, green laquer steel shell, that's it.
I'm very happy with the "Glocks" that I got, would I biu a Gen4 - probably yes, if I got a steal-deal, otherwise - not, and I'm a guy that thinks that the new models are generaly better than older-ones, but there are too many things going on with the gen4 to look at one right now, otherwise I would be interested in gen4 compact gun, probably in .40S&W or .45acp...

Here is the fit of that .357sig barrel:

#22 ·
I had a Gen 1 pencil barrel in it's original box with all the tools, unfired. I sold it a few yrs ago to a collector. He paid a very nice price to me for that setup.

Still have 1 Gen 1 17 left. Sold another that had been used for yrs in GSSF.

I also had and then sold, GSSF0002 G17. I was offered the opportunity to buy GSSF0001 and passed for #2.

#24 · (Edited)
I own AY380us bought by me in oct 1986
I have a neat story about my glock, in 1991 some assH(*& robber broke into my house and stole 3 guns, my glock was one of them, I was pretty pissed to say the least:steamed: well in 2010 I get a letter from the ATF, stating the fontana sheriffs dept. has one of my guns, and sent me a release letter, as I enter the sheriffs office and state who I am, show them this letter, all eyes are upon me, whispers here and there and 5 officers following me into the room they directed me into, I see a female officer sitting behind the desk, I realize I am in the evidence room, after I give her the paper she pulls out my tupperware glock case, my eyes widen "where on earth did you get that?" I say, all eyes sway to the the left (my right) to a file cabinet against the wall.?????
The female officer says, you see the new carpet? well when we changed the old carpet and moved the file cabinet there my glock was sitting on the floor behind the file cabinet, back in 1991 the robber was caught with this glock in his car and it was put into evidence , they dont know how it ended up behind the cabinet.. 22 years :wow::wow: ,they asked me to sign a paper as not to press charges, i said "are you kidding me I am so happy to have my glock back" but had to sign anyway, after explaining the story of the robbery,myself and a few officers went down the street to a range , the owner of the range didnt even charge us after he was told the story...
pretty cool, now I have my MINT gen 1 glock
cheers
Ken
fxdude

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.