close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gary Johnson?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Kablam, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Kablam

Kablam

Jan 12, 2005
    Why have the Ron Paul supporters not talked much about Gary Johnson? He's the libertarian candidate correct? He actually has some "real" libertarian experience in an executive position. He's running for president, Ron Paul is not.

2. G-19

G-19

Jul 1, 2004
    Very Good question, I can't wait to see the answers.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Because Ron Paul supporters and Gary Johnson supporters are from two different worlds.

Ron Paul supporters are less libertarianism and more selfish anarchism. Pro drug legalization, pay no taxes and a "hooray for me and to hell with you attitude".

Gary Johnson is a better representative of libertarianism and the responsibilities that go with it. Ron Paul supporters want none of that.

4. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    I've been a Libertarian since 1982. I won't vote for either Ron or Gary. The reason? It's more important in this election to get Obama out and there's no way Gary Johnson will win.

5. G-19

G-19

Jul 1, 2004
    Thank you, finally someone gets it.

6. Kablam

Kablam

Jan 12, 2005
    Kidding about what please? I asked a legitimate question relating to all the Ron Paul talk and how he's the constituional guy and libertarian, etc. I find it interesting that the Libertarian candidate Johnson actually has a libertarian record in an executive position (delivered on his philosophy if you will) and nobody talks about him. Yet, Ron Paul, who has basically written and talked about the libertarian philosophy, but never led from an executive stand point, nor has he really accomplished any of his talking points, seems to get all the juice. Gary Johnson stands a better chance (abeit statistically the same) of getting elected than Ron Paul who is not running. If the "libertarians" want a libertarian president, why are they not supporting Johnson instead of Paul?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    The one time I saw Johnson speak in a public forum, I found him very dry and uninspiring. He might have been a great governor for all I know, but libertarians in general might perceive that he doesn't have the charisma or mojo to generate much enthusiasm on a national scale.

Just a thought, with absolutely nothing to back it up... :)

8. Kablam

Kablam

Jan 12, 2005
    That makes some sense for sure, and I agree with you. I'm thinking about the "libertarians" that keep screaming that since their "libertarian" candidate didn't win the GOP primary, they will vote for Obama before they'll vote for Romney. Why don't they support the libertarian candidate that is running (Johnson) rather than the cadidate that couldn't be much more polar opposite (Obama) to what they espouse that they want. They say they're too principled to vote obama-lite (Romney), won't vote the lesser of two evils, the GOP sucks, etc., but they're not principled enough to vote for their party's nominee.

9. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    Interesting point...Given how you present it, one can hardly look at a vote for Obama as not being a) a "punishment" vote; b) a vote to accelerate the drive over the cliff; or c) both.

10. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Gary Johnson will be getting a lot of the Ron Paul supporters votes.

11. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

That may indeed be the case -- but I believe the OP's point is that we're not hearing much (if any) vocal support for Johnson.

12. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Not on this forum anyhow.

13. chickenwing

chickenwing

Sep 24, 2010
    Good points.

Never heard him speak in person, but he wasn't very good in the debates and I think that is one of his problems.

I think some RP supporters are holding onto till the bitter end, thinking his delegate strategy will pan out.

14. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Fair enuff...

15. chickenwing

chickenwing

Sep 24, 2010
    If this election comes down to Barry, Mitt, and Gary, I will be voting for Gary.

The one thing I do like about Gary Johnson that you brought up is your point concerning executive experience, and I'd like to add business experience as well. Which makes him a better candidate then Ron.

Don't know if he has the money to compete with Barry and Mitt on a national scale, still will be interesting if a third party could gain some traction and shake things up a bit. Doubtful, never know though.

16. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Good points also...! [​IMG]

17. tyesai

tyesai

Nov 12, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    "Not only is it immoral and undignified, it’s destructive. Lesser or greater, evil is evil. By supporting one evil or the other, the voter becomes an accessory to the crime. Only a true intellectual revolution can restore dignity, trust, morality, decency and compassion." (Celente) http://lewrockwell.com/celente/celente100.html

I tend to agree. What I don't think a lot of people get is that although Ron Paul was a focal point on the national stage it isn't about him. For me it is about being true to my core values which is far more important than which one of the two puppets gets crowned....

In the end I'll probably just abstain from voting in the national elections.

18. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    Because the Democrat faux RP supporters don't see GJ taking votes away from Romney in any numbers.

_