Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

GAP Reloading Tips

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by DannyR, Nov 24, 2009.

1. dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Welcome to GAP and reloading. I load GAP for my g37, g38, and as of today, my g39. Can't talk to point 1; but bullseye and power pistol work well for me with 200 gr Rainiers plated hollow and flat points. I'm not planning on changing the load right now till I put some rounds over the chrono.
  2. scratchy wilson

scratchy wilson Silver Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Just bought the 49th Lyman Handbook and it recommends Ramshot's True Blue as giving excellent all around results. Anyone try it?

3. Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Haven't tried that one yet, but I have great results (and big fireballs) from Blue Dot and Power Pistol. I have some Unique loads ready to send over the chrony, and hope that those go well.

AA#5 is up next on my list. I've got to test with all the calibers I load (9X19, .357SIG, .40S&W, 10mm, .45ACP, .45GAP)

The only load data I found with that particular powder was from Accurate's site, and they specified a 200 gr. XTP.
  4. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

OK, I finally got my other Pro 1000 set up to load 45 GAP. I am loading 5.6 grains of Universal behind a Rainier 200grn jacketed flat point bullet with WIN SP primer. This should prove to be a fairly stout practice load.

Range report to follow later today.
  5. wlst101

Jul 24, 2005
    I use it exclusively. 200gn Montana Gold's with 7.3gns at 1.060 OAL. I was trying to replicate the feel of the 200gn GoldDots for practice and it's close. I've loaded it as high as 7.5 gns with no pressure issues but like to be safe at 7.3.
  6. ironmonkey17

Jun 17, 2012

I also shoot a g39....reload 185gr plated fp with 5.5 gr of win231 @ 1.073 oal, speer nickel plated brass it seems like a good load no problems but i do not have a chrono....i say play around a little see what you like
    ..i am also at the high end of the powder @5.5gr.

i also shoot a 200 gr rn plated with win231 5.2 gr. oal 1.105... hope it helps....
  7. PsychoKnight

Sep 30, 2006
    SoCal - SGV
    N320 is my favorite. Highest velocity, tightest groups, least muzzle flash and residue I've ever found in any handgun powder. Its true, the only downside is price and availability. So, I order several units of their 4 lb jugs (you can order 12 in one shipment, or up to the 48 lb limit, for a single hazmat charge). About $30/ lb, including shpg/hzmt.
  8. parados

Nov 3, 2001

I did some testing with H. Universal and found that 5.7 with a 185 rainier worked well in a G38 but had issues when I tried it in a G37. This is most likely due to the increased mass of the slide. I eventually bumped it up to 6.0 and had no issues. I also use this load with 185gr XTP bullets as well. OAL: 1.065.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  9. fasteddie565

OK, not very stout, but a nice practice load. Functions well in all three GAPs.
  10. buoux

Jul 29, 2009
    Sin City, NV.
    Hello to all - I am looking to reload for my G37 & my G39, so I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse & saw that they had some 185gr. Berry's Bullets (Hollow Base Round Nose 250 ct. Max. velocity 1250 fps). However, they are .452" in diameter and I don't know if they'll work for me in my situation. Can anyone enlighten me about the .451" vs. the .452" issue as it pertains to the GAP platform.
    Sorry for the long post, but I can't find a concrete answer on the internet as to whether or not these will work in my G37/G39. I'd really appreciate any feedback.

11. fasteddie565

Sorry to have left you out here. Normally, in my experience, .452 bullets come in lead or lead alloy and the .451 in jacketed or coated bullets. The coated bullets act a bit more like lead bullets. I shoot many many Berry's .452 bullets from Glock GAPs as well as my 45 ACP pistols.
  12. Carl Spangler

Carl Spangler G37 Gen 4

Feb 11, 2013
    N-Central Az
    Great info there!

Got 1000 Starline cases due to arrive this Thur. For my first GAP load I'll push some Montana Gold FMJ 230's with 4.7-4.8 gr of Universal. :cool:

Will update after the range trip.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. A heads to all you crazy GAPers (like me!). S&B is making GAP brass with large pistol primer pockets.

And I'm here to tell you that no matter how hard you push, a small pistol primer just won't stay in the pocket!

14. fasteddie565

How was this load? I found the Universal to work well, but had to got to 6.0 grns in a 200 grn copper plated Berry truncated cone bullet.
  15. Carl Spangler

Carl Spangler G37 Gen 4

Feb 11, 2013
    N-Central Az
    Thanks for the shout out. I got sidetracked on a house remodel and won't get to the range until sometime next week. :crying: I did get my chronograph so I'll be able to report actual velocities. Really looking forward to checking out some GAP loads!

BTW: I'd actually prefer to load 200 grn bullets with the GAP but they are unobtanium right now and I have a big supply of 230's.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  16. Carl Spangler

Carl Spangler G37 Gen 4

Feb 11, 2013
    N-Central Az
    Holy cow that remodel really took me off my game.

Anyway, I finally got the GAP out to the range. Using new Starline brass and 230 grain FMJ I loaded 4.7 and 4.8 grains of Universal. Checkout included a chroni.

Unfortunately these loads had more than a fair bit of velocity variation. The 4.7 max/min was 90 FPS and the 4.8 was somewhat better but still not acceptable. I've since been told that Universal likes to be loaded toward the hot side of things so I'm guessing these mid range loads just weren't optimal for that powder. ???

A couple of other somewhat disappointing issues. The ejected brass was consistently clobbering me in the head and the trigger pull was WAY WAY higher than the claimed 5.5#. The trigger pull I can deal with but I'd like some rec's on how to deal with case ejection issue and velocity variation. ???

I suspect I need to locate some 200gr bullets to make this GAP a happy camper. Perhaps that will fix the ejection issues too. :dunno:

Thanks for any advice................. :wavey:

Edit: I also ordered the Lone Wolf barrel for the G37. This will allow me to try a few more options on bullets.

Edit 06/17/13
    Ran another 50 rounds through the GAP with the both the factory and Lone Wolf barrel. Load was 4.95 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ. The velocity spread was tighter than with the 4.7 and 4.8 gr loads. We're heading to the range tomorrow with another 50 loaded at 5.0gr of Universal. I think this 5.0 will be the end of the road for Universal. I'm looking for some WSF which I suspect will be a better match for this heavy 230 gr bullet.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  17. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack

Dec 20, 2012
    Indian Country
    Carl keep us posted.. I just picked up a G37 and 250 rounds of Speer factory 185gr TMJ and 200 Round of Speer 200gr TMJ.. ordered 400 pieces of brass from LEO Brass and have 250 200gr RNF from Precision Bullets on the way......checking out load data now and getting ready to hit the range and shoot this rascal
  18. Carl Spangler

Carl Spangler G37 Gen 4

Feb 11, 2013
    N-Central Az
    More good stuff with the G37
    Bought a box of factory 230gr ammo and compared it to a 5.0(+) Universal load (new Starline brass) in both the Glock and Lone Wolf barrel.

The following data was taken at ~4500 ft elevation and is just a prelim as I really need a higher sample set:

Federal American Eagle 230gr Glock barrel: 879 fps avg
    Federal American Eagle 230gr Lone Wolf barrel: 880 fps avg
    The standard deviation was just ~15 fps with the LW barrel and about ~22 fps with the Glock barrel.

5.0 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ Glock barrel: ~815 fps
    5.0 gr Universal with 230 gr FMJ and LW barrel: ~830 fps
    The standard dev with both the Glock and LW barrel was a fair bit higher than the Federal ammo. Not sure if the sample set was sufficient but the LW barrel seemed to perform better than the Glock barrel with the 'reloads'.

I will say that the factory ammo was more consistent and a bit 'hotter' than the Universal load. I'm coming to the conclusion (?) that Universal isn't the best for this weight bullet. However, I did finally find some WSF powder so my next attempt (next week???) will be with that powder. I probably won't have any 200 gr bullets for a while as they are just unobtanium right now. :dunno:

19. furn man

furn man

Feb 6, 2013
    I use hornady dies in .45 acp for my .45 gap. bought them cheap at a gun show and they work fine.
  20. furn man

furn man

Feb 6, 2013
    anyone try winchesters autocomp powder for .45 gap? Can't seem to find any recipes for 230 gr. bullet.