close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Gang warfare has broken out here.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Electrikkoolaid, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

Mar 1, 2010
    The bloods and the Crips have started a war in sleepy Greenville, NC.

When not shooting each other, they are now pulling daily armed robberies. In one case, they keep robbing the same Sonic drive-in every few weeks.

While some of you in larger metro areas may laugh at my concern, we have had more people shot this month than Detroit and Chicago combined! (15 vs. 9)

The level of violence is unprecedented in this college town of 82,000 people! It really wasn't like this as recently as 2 years ago!

The police spend more time arresting drunk college kids and writing seatbelt tickets than confronting the gang-bangers.

The mayhem is not just limited to the "bad areas" of town. Just last night 4 people were shot at a large convenience store in town -- the second time this summer at the same store.

While some of the comments posted on the news stories are very racistly macho and suggest forming vigilante groups, the police really seem powerless to do anything. Local church groups are holding "prayer meetings" about this.

Has anyone else lived in an area that was able to overcome this kind of explosion in violence? How did your people do it?

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Didn't you just finish posting a nasty and snide comment about NYC on another thread?

Good luck with your town:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    Wow, seriously?

4. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Is there any other kind?:whistling:

5. Search

Search

Feb 20, 2009
    Lol at the prayer groups. The only way to fight violence is with violence. The police dept will have to adapt to a changing town and it will take time. It happens all the time. We are currently experiencing a growth in gang activity too but luckily management has always been proactive about training for it.

6. packsaddle

packsaddle

Jan 15, 2009
    old school policing will help make a dent.

(pun intended)

7. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    That's because it's easy money to pick on college kids and speeders. It's all about the pension and six figure pay don't you know?

8. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    They're not mutually exclusive. "Dear Lord, be with the gangbangers and prepare them for the butt kickin they're about to receive..."

9. Electrikkoolaid

Mar 1, 2010
    What does it take to get a weapons permit in NYC or NYS? The average citizen is severely restricted from purchasing a handgun in the whole state, and legal carry by "average Joes" is essentially unheard of in NYC.

As others have mentioned, the police stop and frisk people, taking "pointy flashlights" away as "weapons". Use of stun guns or pepper spray can get you FELONY charges in New York.

Removing any form of self-defense from citizens isn't the answer, nor is armed bands of citizens rolling around dispensing vigilante justice.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  10. HANSOLLIG

HANSOLLIG

May 28, 2011
    Michigan

Exactly. Do something productive, like shooting back. Stop talking to your imaginary friend in ths sky. It doesn't help at all.

11. I read the on-line local papers from many cities around the country. And to be perfectly honest, I have not read that NYC has the same problem you described. And yes, their citizens do not own guns like NC citizens. Not even close.

Seems to me what Seamac45 is posting is that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If it bothers you the Bloods and the Crips are engaged in a shooting war where you're at, perhaps you should consider moving to NYC (or Boston or Philly or even Washington DC) until all that shooting dies down. Be a lot safer. :rofl:

You and other concerned local NC citizens do have guns, no? :whistling:

12. Electrikkoolaid

Mar 1, 2010
    You can bet nearly every house, and every other car, has a firearm of some type. This is The South after all.

Rednecks driving around in pick-ups with armed posies of concerned citizens shooting at black males age 14-30 as alleged gang members won't help either.

I have a CCW permit, and don't go to areas where this type of trouble would be expected.

But when shots ring out while pumping gas (I use that station), what am I supposed to do? Hide under my bed?

13. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    A few years ago I remember seeing that Salt Lake City had impported some policemen experienced with gangs from Los Angeles in hopes that they could help their officers address the growing gang problem.

The feds seen to be getting a llittle tougher on the gangs also so perhaps there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

Stay safe

14. That's why laws are state specific. To me, it's presumptious for a citizen from one state to say "we have this in MY state/city, so YOUR state/city must suck because you don't have it/allow it."

What works for NC may not work for NY or OR or NM or some other state. And each state lives with the consequences of their laws and what they allow their LE to do.

I'm sure the fight between the Crips and the Bloods will die down eventually.

15. gangs are taking over many cities and for what ever reason police are powerless against them, there is nothing that can be done. send them to prison with the rest of their friends and they just get worse, they also earn credibility with other gang members. heck, they even run most prisons. its a win win situation for them. where is the deterrent in our politically correct society?

16. 05FLHT

05FLHT

Nov 6, 2009
    NW Illinois
    Any violence is too much, but I think your numbers for Chicago are too low. We average 15 people shot every weekend in the Summer. The number of actual shooting is exponentially more because there is a serious street war on both the West and Southside of the city. We even had a week recently with four police officers shot. The Chicago PD is about 2K officer short and it shows. This is the reason my family and I rarely, if ever, travel to the city.

17. Just1More

Just1More

Mar 18, 2009
    The police are powerless because everything they say/do is recorded. Old Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson sit by waiting for one of their boys to get roughed up so they can have a march. They're a drag on our country and sooner or later they're going to have to be thinned out.

18. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    IMO and IME gun ownership in most parts of "The South" is overrated and exaggerated...and most of those that have a gun don't have it readily accessible.

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Then it seems that there should be more dead perps.

Seriously, I wish you well, and hope your town takes the gloves off. But the tool is nothing without the will.

20. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    Why not try a little vigilante justice? It's the 21st century... maybe the bastards won't see it coming. If anyone goes down hard for it, and the 'bangers aren't, then you have a real problem. It is The South. Can't you people figure out how to bring back the good ole boy network?