Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Game Trail Cameras????

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by VonFatman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. VonFatman

Jul 31, 2000
    Kansas City
    Does anyone have experience with game-trail cameras?

My wife and I want to buy one, but first we thought it best to ask around to see which "flavor(s)" are best liked.

Some of our thoughts:

+We'd like to capture a peak at some of the deer and other critters on our farm.

+We think a digital (vs. 35mm) camera would be best for us.

+We do not know what features are key????

+We think we might spend $250.00 +/-

+What do you think about the infra-red flash vs. traditional white light flash?? We think the "invisible" flash might be good should our camera encounter a trespasser sneaking in or out of our farm...our thinking is that should the trespasser be "flashed" he/she would no doubt attempt to destroy/steal the camera.

+What about locking the camera to a tree? Is it worth the effort?

+Are there particular brands that shine above others?

Thank you!

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    I've got 6 cams

2 of the Cuddyback 3000s - Nice camera and I like it best. It was my first.

I've got one crappy walmart cam - poor pic quality. No info on pic (not even time). I keep it set out behind the house where I can service it regularly. Don't buy one of these.

I've got one of the new Cuddyback excites. It is a good cam with lower pic quality.

Ive got 2 of the Cuddyback experts.

All in all I am pleased with the Cuddybacks. I think they are regarded as the industry leader.

I don't do anything special to secure the cams other than what was provided and have never (knock on wood) had one stolen. A lot of folks are not so lucky.

Never used an "invisible flash". I don't know that it is necessary as the flash doesn't seem to scare the deer (at least too much). I think some get used to it better than others.

IR flash is noticeable - red light that you can see.

If you want to catch a trespasser, disable the flash. For the most, part I think the trespasser would be out during daylight hours (never caught one on pic so what do I know).

Game cams are a hobby in themselves. I really enjoy checking the cams and usually can't wait till I am home to review the pics.

Go here..

You can learn a lot there as well as read dozens of reviews on different makes/models.

I think the key features are without a doubt

1.) trigger time and

2.) pic quality. The cuddys excel in both of those areas from what I've seen.

3. VonFatman

Jul 31, 2000
    Kansas City
    Excellent review!! Thanks so much for taking time to respond.
    I'll check out the forum and consider your wise advise.

Best wishes.

4. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nov 18, 2003
    Bad-Lands Ranch
    You are welcome.

You will be absolutely amazed at the different animals that you'll get on pic.

I dump a bag of corn spread around in a 20' dia circle in front of the cam and have gotten pics of deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, dogs, bobcats, coyotes, possum, armadillos, raccoons, crows, billions of other birds, a snake, and even myself a few times. I'll typically get anywhere from 100-300 pics per camera per week when I check and bait them regularly.

Last year I got a string of pics (over the course of a few hours) of a couple of small bucks fighting It was amazing to see those in succession. Makes me wish I had a video activated.

You'll get pics of deer (bucks) that you didn't know otherwise that were even there.
  5. Rockdiver

Jan 7, 2007
    You really get a decent picture with the ir illum?