close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Galco Kingtuk hybrid holster!

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by pitor, Jun 10, 2011.

1. pitor

pitor

Jun 4, 2011
    I just bought a Galco Kingtuk hybrid holster (leather back, kydex shell). Awesome. At $55.00 and no wait it rivals CB and Kholster. The leather has two layers with a sweat shield in between (I think).

It feels as comfortable ad it gets. Breaking it in was fast and easy. Left the glock in it overnight and done.

It sports a combat cut and has a slide shield to take care of your slide and skin.

Will be using it for the first time Sunday at IDPA @ VCGHC.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Galco for such quality holster at such good price.

Peace

Sent from iPhone.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. K1tt3n5

K1tt3n5 Hell hath glock

Mar 17, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    That looks like an awesome idea, if they made it leather lined I would pick one up for my 1911. All of my glocks currently have a galco iwb to match.

3. Leather lined Kydex

Tucker Gunleather "The Answer"

4. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
  5. pitor

pitor

Jun 4, 2011
    Hmmm it is leather lined in the back of the holster, so half your slide is against leather. or you mean the kydex having a leather liner?

Sent from iPhone.

6. The Kydex is leather lined. 15 dollar option

7. K1tt3n5

K1tt3n5 Hell hath glock

Mar 17, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    I've had my eye on it for a while, but I'm really trying to avoid spending 100+ on a holster for a gun I carry once a month.

8. K1tt3n5

K1tt3n5 Hell hath glock

Mar 17, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    I have an ultra covert II that is the tan and digi camo one and I'm trying to avoid tearing up the finish since it's more of a safe queen/ plinking gun.

9. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I've had my Kingtuk for a few months for my Glocks and its a good holster. Only paid like $47 shipped for mine which I thought was a good price. I think the holster would be better if it was rough on the back like the CBST. That should help keep it from moving around less.

10. Well if you scratch your gun the one time you use it without one is it worth it? I'm not one of those guys who worries about scratches on a firearm. It's a tool to me. Others feel differently. I understand your reticence to spend the money however. But if you are concerned about wear, it might be worth the extra dough

I have one for my Kimber and a future Delta Elite I'm getting

11. Comp_sH00teR24

Comp_sH00teR24

Jun 12, 2009
    Indiana
    I just got one too for my G23. Great holster. I feel quality wise it is not quite as nice as an MTAC but nicer than a CB. But the price is unbeatable.

12. pitor

pitor

Jun 4, 2011
    Here are some pics with my (problematic) gen4 G19.

Attached Files:

13. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    On the Galco KingTuck.

A. The holster is crap.
    B. Galco won't stand behind a defective product.

Story short.

Bought one for a M&P. This was an M&P catch all holster, that works with compacts and full sized gun. The factory front sight would get caught on the outside of the holster on the draw, and again just forward of the holster's ejection port area. The addition of a decent sight channel would have solved every problem I experienced.

It took some work with heat to get the damned thing to even function for me.

Galco's response was pretty much to tell me that I was full of crap, and that their holster always pass rigorous testing before leaving the factory.

I am not the only one to have run into this problem.
    There were several that reported the same type of problem on the 1911 forum.

If you want one of these hybrid holsters, stick with the original.
    Stay away from the Galco version.

This coming from a person that generally likes Galco products.
    I think I am pegged at 21 Galco's now.

14. pitor

pitor

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you for your input and experience with the Kingtuk. Maybe like any mass produced product, they missed the ball on certain gun models.

I can say with confidence the Glock models are really good quality and work well.

Are you referring to the poor quality based on the sights not properly clearing the kydex shell? When you say "The holster is crap", you mean it didn't work for YOUR gun, or did the materials fall apart in little time?

I ask because the leather quality is really good IMO and the shell forming is also good. Materials wise looks and feels well made and solid.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. And Galco's response was lame, agree.

15. K1tt3n5

K1tt3n5 Hell hath glock

Mar 17, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    You are 100% correct. I am not usually one that will care about the appearance of a gun, because as you said they are in fact tools and my glocks certainly show that, but that kimber has a very nice look to it. I'm sure I will purchase that holster because in my mind it couldn't get any better than that. Until then my 27 will be the ugly reliable work horse. O the horror of having to carry my favorite gun :)

16. K1tt3n5

K1tt3n5 Hell hath glock

Mar 17, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    I will probably order one of these for my 27 and an answer for my kimber.

17. Jason D

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Yes, I can expand on this.
    It just makes me mad when I think about it, and I have told the same story three times. I try to condense it each time.

The holster materials are top notch like all of their other products.
    The leather is great, the kydex is top quality and not the injection molded stuff you see now in cheaper holster.

The problem being the holster for the M&P not working with the factory S&W sights. The gun has standard sights and would catch on and in the holster on the draw stroke. I believe had the holster had a better sight track, this would have never happened. It's something that should have been included in the original design. This holster was designed to work with all the 9-40 M&P's. That means the compact versions all the way to the full sized duty weapons.
    Mine happens to be full sized. So the barrel and front sight stuck out the bottom of the holster.

What it took to make the holster usable was the use of a blow torch and a spoon to add a little flare where needed. I can now use and draw the gun without any problem.

I sent my concerns to Galco. I wasn't asking for anything. I didn't want a replacement holster, or some little freebie to make me happy. I wanted them to listen to and respond to my feelings that the holster as is was dangerous.

Now other versions of the same holster might be different.
    This one though, would have been a danger to anyone using it as is.
    The the gun to hang up when you need it, could find a person hurt or worse.

I received back a pissy little comment about how there is no way I could have possibly run into the problem that I did, and they they all went through rigorous testing prior to being shipped.

The very week I bought this holster, I shelled out close to 500 dollars for several more Galcos. To say I was angry was an understatement.

18. pitor

pitor

Jun 4, 2011
    Thank you for the detailed reply. Completely justified in your reactions sir. Again , lame CS and attitude from Galco.

Glad you made it work for you.

Sent from iPhone.

19. Jason D

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
  20. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    I'll stick with the MTAC.