Glock Talk banner

GA vs. AL living conditions?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mongosafari 
#1 ·
Hello, do we have any members in the Columbus, GA area? I am looking to work in GA, but it's close enough to the border that one could live in Columbus, Phenix City, or Smiths Station.

Having never been to the area, I have been trying to research the local towns and each state. I have a lot of research to do, but we will be visiting the area this weekend to get a feel for the area.

Does anyone have any insight, maybe less obvious details about what one state offers over the other? Weird laws/ordinances, offensive taxes (having been in FL most of my life, any state income tax at all seems offensive), something that is learned by living in the area vs. looking facts up online.

I'll post again with better details or the results of my findings, like I said I haven't done much yet, but I want to throw these questions out there asap since we'll be driving up in a couple days. Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't live there, but have spent alot of time there (Ft. Benning). In my opinion, inside the city limits is a big rat hole, and the city just has a nasty sort of feel to it...kind of like Birmingham if you've ever been there. Just driving through Birmingham on the interstate makes me want to shower and disinfect. Depending on the type of person you are, either living in the city, or live out in the sticks, but near the city...I'd check out the Pine Mountain or Hamilton areas, just north of Columbus up US27. Be sure to take the wifey to Callaway Gardens in Pine Mtn when the Azaleas bushes bloom in the spring!

Crime was pretty high 10-15yrs ago, not sure about now. But here is an example...from 2003 I believe:

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Columbus&state=GA

#3 ·
I was born in Georgia and live here now. I lived in Alabama for 3 years. I don't know if you have kids, but the Georgia public schools are much better. On the other hand, Alabama had the least repressive government and lower taxes. But that's what pays for the schools, so you see where I am going. . . .

Keep in mind you will end up paying income tax in the state where you work, unless Columbus and the Alabama cities have some kind of agreement. In general you will owe the tax on your income to your home state, but you get a credit for any tax you pay to other states.

Georgia's CCW procedure is simple although some provisions of the law are hard to interpret to say the least. Alabama's CCW was so simple 15 years ago that I would be surprised if it hasn't changed completely since then. My renewal background check consisted of the Sheriff sticking his head out of his office, looking at me, and saying to the Clerk "Nah, no problem with him in the last year." God, I miss such governmental efficiency!

#4 ·
I was born at Ft. Benning and was an Army brat and had the run of the post. Lived in Columbus for 21 years, got married and moved to the Atlanta area. As others have said, the schools are quite good and you want to live out in the North East section of town out past the airport a few miles. When I was there the South side of town was just fine, but I would not go down Victory Drive without all in the car carrying.

#6 · (Edited)
How about gun clubs or decent ranges with good folks?

Next month, I am going TDY to Ft. Benning as a Govt contractor for about 3 months. I don't know if I have quarters on or off post yet. Any advise would be appreciated.

If you don't want to post advise please feel free to PM.

I found the listing for this one:
• Fort Benning - Ft. Benning Rifle & Pistol Club, POBox 51469, Fort Benning, GA 31995.
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (7 to 300 yds), Outdoor Rifle (25 to 500 yds), Muzzleloading
Range Access: Private
www.rpcrange.com

The link doesn't work. Change to .org

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.