close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G36 SD Ammo

Discussion in 'Thin to Win - G36 Club' started by jdodd, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jdodd

jdodd

Dec 21, 2009
    Hey, I have been looking around trying to find the equivalent of the 124gr +p gold dot of the 9mm world for the .45 G36 platform.

A lot of people around the net seem like the Federal HST and a runner up being the Ranger T's but I can't find them in stock at any of my normal online retailers. The whole LE only thing doesn't help.

So what's in your mag and why? Any links to tests?

Currently Im loaded with 230gr ball...and if I dont find a clear winner I may just stick with that. Doubletap makes a nice ball round that would work.

Thanks,

-J

2. jdodd

jdodd

Dec 21, 2009
  3. dreis454

dreis454

Jul 11, 2009
    Enfield,CT
    For this I would look to YOUTUBE....:cool:

& while your at it............practice your Google-fu

ps. My 36 is loaded with 230gr GD's & I never feel under ammo'd. Of coarse they also make a short barrel version........

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. jdodd

jdodd

Dec 21, 2009
    I know in the 9mm platform the short barrel rounds did not expand / perform as well as the regular version. This was in a glock 19. Similar barrel length for a 36.

See what good old youtube has for me...

-J

5. tuica

tuica

Apr 28, 2009
    Portland,Oregon
    The great aspect of a large caliber round is that any decent hollow point will be fine. I carry Gold Dot 185 gr JHP., Winchester Bonded PDX 230 JHP, and Winchester "regular" 230 JHP. Good Luck

6. Brent10mm

Brent10mm

Apr 6, 2009
    Spo, W.A.
    check my post on the "let see em" thread....:shocked:

7. jdodd

jdodd

Dec 21, 2009
    Man...why do you have to show me a link with ammo I WANT IN STOCK! :crying:

The ranger T's look like a winner, decent price for 50. I just need to figure out a way to order some with out ending up on couch.

You live up in enfield huh? Im down in windsor, you got a free couch? :rofl:

8. dreis454

dreis454

Jul 11, 2009
    Enfield,CT
    You'd need to share it with the dog!

Windsor EH?:shocked: I lived there into my high school years...still have friends there.
    PM me with the where abouts that you live.

9. SagKC

SagKC

Aug 3, 2009
    Missouri
    230 gr. Ranger Ts in my G36. Thankful they are still available at my local "fun" store from time to time! :supergrin:

10. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

Feb 8, 2005
    Homer Alaska
    My three favorite loads that I carry in my Glock 36 are the Double Tap 230 grain TMJ, Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ, and the Hornady 230 grain TAP +P.

11. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

Feb 15, 2005
    amelia,VA
    I started with 230gr Gold dots, but had FTF problems. If you look at the mouth of the bullet it is veary flat. The bullet will stand upright with the bullet facing down on a table. Gold dot's have worked fine in other guns for me just not the 36. So I tried some HST's, they have a rounder nose. The HST's work veary well in my gun. Now for some testing. One day while deer hunting I thought I would test each bullet on somthing other than newspaper and milk jugs. I was lucky enough to harvest a nice 6 point buck. Before the field dressing took place I shot the deer once with both rounds in the chest area. Both bullets broke a rib going in and one on the opposite side. Both bullets also stoped in the hide on the far side of the deer. I think if the deer had been standing instead of lying on the ground the bullets would have exited and fallen to the ground. The only real differance between the two is that the HST expanded far more than the Gold dot. The Gold dot was also badly deformed from the ribs, I thought that was odd because they are bonded. It's like the lead was softer. So there you go, my .2 cents. Hope that helps.

12. the perfesser

the perfesser

Jun 24, 2007
    The Hornady Critical Defense is now out in .45ACP. Anyone try this yet in their G36?

13. jdodd

jdodd

Dec 21, 2009
    My boss likes it but as a reference it went out of a 1911 4" platform. Never tried the stuff myself!

I took the plunge and bought 200 rounds of RA45T. :cool:

UPS says it should be here friday so thats the day I need to lay low!

-J

14. Ken43

Ken43

May 7, 2005
    Take a look at www.streichers.com They have a lot of the ammo you are talking about. Fed. HST and the Speer Gold Dot. I carry the HST in my 9mm, 40, and 45

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

All I shoot in 'all of my 45acps' is 230gr ball. Especially in the short pipe. Suggestion, since you ask. I would stay with the 230gr ball. Your not going to get enough vel out of that short tube to open a 230gr JHP up any way. So..... ;)

Good shooting

CanyonMan