close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G36 Jam

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cjc1232, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cjc1232

cjc1232

Jan 27, 2013
    Greensboro, NC
    I just got a new G36. I cleaned the gun and the First trip to the range I fired 50 rounds of Federal ammo, the ejected cases would go in all directions and the gun would jam about every 2 or 3 mags. I cleaned the gun ( used Ballistol) and the second trip to the range I fired 70 rounds of Federal and Winchester ammo and the gun still jams every 2 or 3 mags. Should I send the gun back to Glock for repair or is there a simple fix? Thanks

2. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

Oct 12, 2006
    Not an expert, but my initial thought would be see an armorer if you have one local (maybe at the shop you got it at), and/ or ship it back. Seems like an abnormally high amount of problems for a new GLOCK

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Not sure what the fix may be but for comparison I just got a new 36 a couple of weeks ago, been to the range twice with a total of 400 rounds fired, not one failure to feed or eject and only one spent case to the forehead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    NIB?
    If it were me I'd send it back to the mother ship.
    There's no way a NIB Glock should run like that - IMHO.
    It's under warranty - Glock will take care of it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    What kind of "jam"? If you tell us what's happening, we can probably tell you how to fix it.

And of course, you can always send it to Glock.

6. MNBud

MNBud

Feb 15, 2007
    suburb of Mpls. Mn.
    My first thought is always have someone else shoot it. Is this your first 45 caliber in a small package, are the failures well into your shooting day, are you getting fatigued, possibly limpwristing ( yah, I know, nobody ever limpwrists). I'm saying, give it a good amount of time before sending it back. If you send it back and they find nothing wrong, and you still have issues, we are all going to be listining to another disgruntled owner. Give it some time.

7. cjc1232

cjc1232

Jan 27, 2013
    Greensboro, NC
    Case does not eject and is jammed between the slide and barrell.

8. rl356

rl356

Aug 22, 2008
    Stove pipe? Sounds like limp wristing to me.

9. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Jan 22, 2002
    Near Phoenix, Arizona
    Slide is short stroking. I.E. not going back all the way. This can be caused by many things from weak ammo, "limp wristing", thumb hitting slide, etc.

As suggested have some one else shoot it. The 36 , as most short barrel guns required a FIRM platform to recoil against. You don't need a death grip. The key is to lean slightly into the gun and DO NOT let your wrist break.....keep it straight/locked.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast

Agree.

How familiar are you with shooting small .45's, though?

The smaller & lighter you make a .45 pistol, often the less tolerant it becomes of shooter and ammunition influences.

Day in & day out, the significant majority of "gun problems" experienced by new shooters - (or infrequent shoots, shooters changing to harder recoiling calibers, smaller models, etc) - are usually caused by the shooters themselves. This may be exacerbated when going to a smallish .45 (versus a larger one).

Usually it's something related to a lack of proper grip support (think firm handshake force for the grip and a locked wrist), which can include a slightly off-balance, backward leaning shooting position, instead of leaning slightly forward, into the anticipated recoil.

Low-powered ammo can also add to the potential for a reduced slide travel and/or slide speed, both of which can adversely affect extraction/ejection & feeding (as can over-powered ammo, oddly enough).

Let an experienced .45 shooter try the G3 before you start thinking it's "the gun". ;)

You might also try some .45 ammo loaded on the warmer end of the normal power range (Gold Dot, Golden Sabre), or even some quality +P made by one of the major American ammo makers.

11. Gomez93

Gomez93

Feb 6, 2013
    Kansas
    Also make sure your thumb is not riding on the slide, it only takes a slight amount of pressure to slow it down.

12. Dizzy Beaver

Dizzy Beaver

Jan 27, 2013
    Was your ammo all ball? My G36 was having problems with rounds getting caught on the feed ramp as well as stovepipes and it turned out that it just didn't like hollowpoints with really wide mouths. I switched to golden sabers and have never had a single problem since (it never had a problem with fmj either).

13. 8ptbuk

8ptbuk

May 3, 2009
    Do a search on g36 and you should find alot to read . Glock 36's seem to be a hit or miss thing . I had one also doing the same thing and after the second trip back Glock . They agreed to replace it with a Gen 4 G30 . Loved the gun but didn't trust it .

14. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Let an experienced Glocker shoot your pistol.

15. scosgt

scosgt

May 25, 2011
    Do you have +1 mag extensions? That would be the very first suspect.

16. fat paul

fat paul

Dec 7, 2012
    I have a new g36. No problems at this point. A good firm Weaver stance seems to do the trick

17. cjc1232

cjc1232

Jan 27, 2013
    Greensboro, NC
    No mag extension. Also have a G23, SW4006 and Colt 1911 and never have jams, but this is my first compact 45. Will have someone else shoot gun this week. Thanks

18. AdamSean

AdamSean

Jul 26, 2008
    It does sound like limp-wristing. I took mine out the range today for the first time. I haven't fired a .45 in a couple years and I limp-wristed twice in 150 rounds. The small size of the G36 is prone to jams due to limp-wristing. Practice your strong grip. As long as you have a firm grip, it should work great. If it continues after you have worked on your grip, send it in for a look.

19. RUT

RUT

Jan 30, 2002
    New Hampshire, USA
    Ditto that......