G36 defensive rounds

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by istricky, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Don't worry what beats up your spring less. You aren't going to be firing thousands of rounds through the gun. You will test the round to make sure it works and then firing it only occasionally.

I like the 200 gr. +P rounds at about 1000 fps out of a G36 barrel, either Gold Dot or Hornady TAP FPD. I don't like 185 gr. or lighter rounds out of any length barrel. I don't think the .45 acp has enough sectional density for these lighter rounds to penetrate consistently. The .45 acp was designed for heavier bullets. The 185 and lighter bullets came later. And while people are amazed at their velocities and muzzle energy, those figures mean little if the bullet doesn't penetrate deep enough EVERY time.

I carry the Hornady TAP FPD 200 gr. +P in my G36. Nothing shoots better to me, the penetration is great and the expansion is more than adequate. It might not expand as violently as some of the newer rounds, but violent expansion usually limits penetration, which is the most important factor of bullet performance. Remember, you might have to shoot through multiple layers of clothes and/or someone's arm.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 WinterWizard, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Federal .45acp HST 230gr. +P has worked very well for my department.

_

3. I know my 36 did not get along well with ranger +p 230 grain this last weekend. Slide would lock back after almost every round.

4. Unless you plan on using your defensive rounds a lot, which I hope you don't have to, the 230gr shouldn't matter.

5. 230 gr. wwb work well in my Glock 36. Can't believe they would be too much for my Glock.
    Rod:wavey:

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

a standard presure 200gr. jhp would be a good all around round for a compact .45acp.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I've got about 1500 rounds through my G36 and 'most' of those are my own hand loads doing over 900fps, along with all kinds of factory stuff just to make sure everything out there worked in the gun.

The load I use "IF" I carry the gun is either the 230gr WW PDX1, or my own hand loads, a 230gr XTP at about 907fps.

Even with these type loads coming out of this little tube, I have never had one single issue 'of any kind' what so ever in the 1500 rds. Shoots like it ought to and very accurate, and all stock except for the 3.5# connector.

Good shooting !

CM

8. MrGlock21

MrGlock21 NRA Instructor

:agree:

And as far as "beating up" is concerned ...I wouldn't worry about it, the G36 was designed and built to handle hot 45 ammo.

9. Any premium hollowpoint will do just fine. I carried 185 grain standard pressure Remington Golden Sabers in mine, and it shot beautifully.

10. matthew.s

matthew.s Glock Miscreant

I have a 155 Grain +P Frangible Round that the company calls the Tactical Grenade because it hits a target and keeps all the fragments inside the body, I carry that in my spare magazine that I keep with me, the round that's in my Glock while I carry is 230 Grain Speer Gold Dot.

#30 matthew.s, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  11. I'd lose the frangible bullets. I would gander the penetration is terrible with those. You want a bullet to stay together, not fall apart.

And there is no such thing as a 230 gr. +P Gold Dot. They make the 200 gr. +P, 230 gr. short barrel, and 230 gr. standard pressure.

12. A couple years ago I owned a Kahr P45. I tried standard pressure Gold Dots in 185 and 230. I fired the 230's first and thought it wasn't too bad. When I fired the 185's I stopped and checked the box to make sure they were not +P's as the felt recoil seemed to be quite a bit more. After a few more rounds of the 185's I stopped again and checked the head stamp on the spent cases .......... no +P.

Not sure what to think about my experience but the 185's sure had more felt recoil in my hands.

13. Used Hydro-Shok 230 for years and am very happy with them. And then there is the Price oooch. But the family is worth it.

14. I use the Corbon or BB 185gr +p Barnes copper rounds out of my 3" barrel. Also, I found DT 160gr +p Barnes copper to be good also, but has a bit of recoil. You have additional barrel length on the G36, but I would not pass on looking at Corbon's 185gr +p Barnes copper round. Very accurate, opens 0.80"+ out of a 3" barrel and penetrate 12-14". Besides do you not want to save the environment.

15. If I had a small .45 ACP that is what I would carry as well.

16. matthew.s

matthew.s Glock Miscreant

Damn...ya caught me, you're right, my Speer Gold Dot is Non-+P, I carry 3 different calibers and I get them mixed up sometimes, but the Tactical Grenade frangibles that are in my spare mag are actually lethally effective, and have almost zero over penetration, the guy who makes these knows what he's doing and has documented all of his testing on these rounds, there is a niche role that these type of rounds can fill very well.

Here is the link to their website
    http://www.crossfireammunition.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=57

#36 matthew.s, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  17. 230 Gr Black Talons

Attached Files:

18. There are 2 videos on YouTube, search "tnoutdoors9 wwb". One with 9mm and one with .40 where in a wetpack newspaper setup, neither bullet expanded. He does a lot of ballistics testing on various rounds and I've looked at a bunch of them. This is the only round that I saw that didn't expand. I don't trust it with my life. I encourage everyone to watch some of his videos to see how ammo performs. Personally in my 45 long barrel, I like Hornady TAP +p because it penetrates well and expands enough to get the job done. Where over penetration is an issue in say a .40 or 357 Sig the Winchester PDX1 looks like a great round. 380 and 9mm I like the Hornady as well.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine