Glock Talk banner

G36 appreciation thread

18K views 99 replies 74 participants last post by  weblance 
#1 · (Edited)
As no one ever comes into the "Thin to Win" room, I'm starting a G36 appreciation thread..

Seems the G36 is taking off now, as more folks discover it's virtues.
The G36 traffic in General Glocking has been on the rise in the past few months.

Count 'em off....
How many G36 owners do we have here now?

#53 ·
When I want to go light its either my Glock 36 or my Ruger SP 101 357 Magnum. The Glock is light and handy, thin and it fits my hand like a glove. It is lighter than the SP and holds two more rounds so for light weight carry it is hard to beat. If you ever doubt the 45 acp as a woods walking gun give the Buffalo Bore 230 grain +P FMJ flat point a try.

#56 ·
got mine last september. Have about 300rds through her now with one failure to eject early on with crappy Federal Champion ammo.

Just tried some +p 230gr. stuff in her yesterday and boy that stuff is snappy in this little beast.

Am i gaining much using +p with the short barrel this gun has????

#57 ·
got mine last september. Have about 300rds through her now with one failure to eject early on with crappy Federal Champion ammo.

Just tried some +p 230gr. stuff in her yesterday and boy that stuff is snappy in this little beast.

Am i gaining much using +p with the short barrel this gun has????[/QUOTE]

I have mostly +P .45 in 185 to 230gr GoldDots and GoldenSabres i see a difference from the non +P but i see a positive in the +P's in the shorter barrel. But any good .45 ammo i bet would do its job.:wavey:

#59 ·

I have mostly +P .45 in 185 to 230gr GoldDots and GoldenSabres i see a difference from the non +P but i see a positive in the +P's in the shorter barrel. But any good .45 ammo i bet would do its job.:wavey:
I like a couple of +P loads depending on my needs. If I carry my Glock in the woods in the winter I like the Hornady 230 grain TAP +P as well as the Buffalo Bore 230 grain FMJ flat point +P or the Double Tap TMJ. They all hit harder than standard loads. However I would be willing to bet that for most uses a standard 230 grain load would be plenty with less recoil as well. Not sure of the velocity out of the 36 but I do know that the BB FMJ flat point +P will penetrate deeper than standard ball. If I had to pick one type over the other a good standard 230 grain load would work for most of my needs. In the book Living With Glocks by Robert Boatman the Black Hills 230 grain +P load was running at 930 in a Glock 36. Not bad for such a lightweight gun.

#61 · (Edited)
I'm not new to guns or Glocks. I bought a LNIB 36 last Saturday. SER# PWC247. Any idea of DOB? Also, is scherer +1 the only way to achieve 7 rounds in magazine??

Thanks, Jim
Get the Pearce PG-36. It is a +1 extention. They look better and the Scherer are know to be junk. I like the PG-360 the best (+0) they look more factory than the factory ones do :)

#67 · (Edited)

David,

As long as you can run 230gr ammo through your 36 that will leave the muzzle at 850 + your fine. One of the beautiful things about the 45acp is that it just does not suffer much form barrel length.

Look up Sonnytoo's ballistic chart on this forum somewhere.... I gave him a load or two, but the rest are all his. He did a very good job of running chrono on the 36. I did not have the time, but I am glad my amigo found the time to get it done and done well.

I carry my G36 a little more all the time. EDC still my M1911 45 acp. BUT, when i do carry the 36 and that is more and more now a days, I carry the WW PDX1 in it, or my own reloads with 230grs and 7.5/7.7grs Power Pistol, which is a +P for sure around 925/950fps + These, are as you say "snappy." But (for me at least) not at all unmanageable (sp).

You do not need to lighten you bullet weight for fear of not having enough velocity to accomplish a good SD round. Again, you loose the whole idea of the 45acp. A 230gr bullet in that G36 that will leave the muzzle as I said, around 850fps + is fine... You may have to go to a 230gr +P round to get there (850+) with a factory load, but +P (even though not my choice really, in much of anything) will NOT hurt that G36 I assure you. If you can handle the recoil. To me the recoil is really nothing, to others it is harsh.

As I sad, I do reload mine with 230gr whatever's that I want to carry, and under them is 7.7grs Power Pistol. If you reload this will be the ticket for ya. Most all my carry loads are my own handloads. It is an internet myth that your in trouble using relaods if you go to court.... :faint:

Do not fall into the lighter bullet 'trap' to get more from the shorter barrel. Now you loose monentum. Dang like I said, I even carry the WW PDX1's in mine at times, and a good deal of the time RNFP ball. ;)

Email me when ya can. Haven't heard from ya in a few weeks....

Bless ya

CM

#68 · (Edited)
Hey CM...missed you, my friend. How are ya?
My thread was missing in action, so I just put it back in, under "Loads for G36", here on Thin to Win.
CanyonMan sold me on Power Pistol loads for warmer loads, and they work great. No signs of overpressure, although your results may vary. I'm sure that some of the warmer loads are at least +P.
I know that some of the ejected brass gets thrown into next week.
:)
I have to admit, after shooting 50-100 of these hot loads, it was kind of nice to go to the those mild 200gr loads. When CM wants a milder load, he pulls out his .44 mag.
I don't get to this section of the forum often enough. I seem to hang out on General Glocking...trying to convince the boys to buy G36's.
Like my old bud CM, I also carry WW PDX1's in mine when I go to town. My son-in-law is a SWAT cop supervisor, head of firearms training, (a smart guy) and his department uses these also.
regards,
S2

#69 ·
Like CM I also like 230 ball and 230 grain Hornady XTP's. Out of the newer bullets on the market the Winchester PDX 1 is beginning to look like a real fine choice. A bonded bullet that is designed for deep penetration sounds like the best of both worlds. I wonder how it would perform on medium sized game?

#70 · (Edited)
I've had mine for almost a week...and I like it!

EDIT: I noticed we were talking loads...

I worked on some loads the day after I got my G36...I went with 6.1 grains of Unique lit by a CCI primer under a 230 XTP in Remington brass.

Its chrono's 820 fps with VERY low ES...(I weigh every charge though)

I didn't get time to do much accuracy testing, but I'm sure it will be fine. (I will shoot some targets when I get back home)

#71 · (Edited)
Hey CM...missed you, my friend. How are ya?
My thread was missing in action, so I just put it back in, under "Loads for G36", here on Thin to Win.
CanyonMan sold me on Power Pistol loads for warmer loads, and they work great. No signs of overpressure, although your results may vary. I'm sure that some of the warmer loads are at least +P.
I know that some of the ejected brass gets thrown into next week.
:)
I have to admit, after shooting 50-100 of these hot loads, it was kind of nice to go to the those mild 200gr loads. When CM wants a milder load, he pulls out his .44 mag.

I don't get to this section of the forum often enough. I seem to hang out on General Glocking...trying to convince the boys to buy G36's.

Like my old bud CM, I also carry WW PDX1's in mine when I go to town. My son-in-law is a SWAT cop supervisor, head of firearms training, (a smart guy) and his department uses these also.
regards,
S2

I have to admit, after shooting 50-100 of these hot loads, it was kind of nice to go to the those mild 200gr loads. When CM wants a milder load, he pulls out his .44 mag

LOL :rofl: That's funny as heck !

Those 7.5/7.7grs PP under the 230gr bullet in the G36 are some stout little buggers. But I love 'em and I "know" you do to ! haha

I think I turned I guy completely away from the G36 the other day out here. I had the 7.7grs PP in there, and let him shoot it. I had a 3.5# connector in it and it went off pretty easy (i was playin around with some stuff) He rapped off bam bam bam. Then he looked at me like I was crazy and handed it back. I said... "nice little gun ain't it" ? He just sorta smirked a little and said, with a very weak voice.. "Yeah." He made NO more mention of it! :rofl:

I been havin fun with this little guy (the 36) and it is very well broke in (so to speak).

Yeah, like your son-in-law, I really like the WW PDX1's more and more all the time. I see NO problem with them even out of this short barrel.

Well, amigo. Good to hear from you, and you stay safe and watch your six ! Give me a shout whenever ya can ! ;)

Bless ya

CM

#72 · (Edited)
Like CM I also like 230 ball and 230 grain Hornady XTP's. Out of the newer bullets on the market the Winchester PDX 1 is beginning to look like a real fine choice. A bonded bullet that is designed for deep penetration sounds like the best of both worlds. I wonder how it would perform on medium sized game?
Hey AK, How are ya man?

Yep you know me pretty dang good. I do love in the 45acp my 230gr RNFP's
I would not hesitateto take 50 yard deer with the M1911 and 230gr WW PDX1 AK. Not at all . This is a good deep penetrating round and I really like it.

I do love the XTP's as you stated and Hard Cast being my favorite of everything, Even as a SD on the ranch as you have heard Bob and I talk about the south of the border illegals running around all over a mans place out in this country. It is really very thick cover here and some cactus rises will get up to over 9 feet and more in height with all the mesquite and buffalo grass it makes for some thick cover if a man has problems with a cougar or a two legged coyote/drug runner/people smuggler, the HC is the ticket.

So the Hard Cast are loaded in my hog leg on my hip, (44mag/45LC) and in the G20 mags and G20 gun in the sadle bags.

When in town, I carry the 45acp in M1911 or now, at times the G36 and stuff them with the PDX1 or the 230gr FMJ RNFP's. When i do use the XTP's I reload them myself usually or carry the Hornady TAP 230gr. I like that load.

You ought to get some of the PDX 1's (major hint) and do some of your spruce testing amigo. I am always interested in hearing your findings on those test. Please let me know in some way, what you come up with if you do this. I would be very interested, as I know folks here would be, and I know it would be a great post for the Furniture Penetration thread... Man that would add to what we have already seen this bullet do.

Really trying to talk you into this ain't I ? Nothing like being subtle ! :supergrin:

Well, I needed to scoot about 10 minutes ago, and as slow as I type this took about 15. haha

Stay safe amigo, and consider that spruce test. ;)

I can already tell ya. I truly would not be one bit afraid (from what I already know) to shoot a under 50yd deer with the 230gr PDX1.. I would not suggest anything larger than that. That is gettng into HC territory. ;)

Be safe and bless ya !

CM

#75 · (Edited)
I would not hesitateto take 50 yard deer with the M1911 and 230gr WW PDX1 AK. Not at all . This is a good deep penetrating round and I really like it.

I have killed a fair number of deer with a 1911 in 45acp...mostly using 230 grain XTP's at 830 fps (7 grains of Power Pistol)

I killed my first few (with the 1911, a Baer stainless Stinger) using factory ammo, 230 grain Remimgton Golden Sabres to be exact....here is a recovered bullet (Golden Sabre)

It entered high on the left shoulder, through the shoulder blade, through a rib, through the lungs, between the ribs, exited in the "armpit" area on the off side, re-entered the right front leg, broke the leg, and came to rest just under the skin....almost complete penetration (appx. 24" of skin, bone, muscle, and lungs)...and from a very steep shot angle, I was 40 feet above and about 15 yards away from the deer.

The bullet was still in 1 piece when I found it...but came apart after I dug it out.

I haven't been able to recover an XTP yet...every one has went through the deer and kept on going.

#76 ·
I have killed a fair number of deer with a 1911 in 45acp...mostly using 230 grain XTP's at 830 fps (7 grains of Power Pistol)

I killed my first few (with the 1911, a Baer stainless Stinger) using factory ammo, 230 grain Remimgton Golden Sabres to be exact....here is a recovered bullet (Golden Sabre)

It entered high on the left shoulder, through the shoulder blade, through a rib, through the lungs, between the ribs, exited in the "armpit" area on the off side, re-entered the right front leg, broke the leg, and came to rest just under the skin....almost complete penetration (appx. 24" of skin, bone, muscle, and lungs)...and from a very steep shot angle, I was 40 feet above and about 15 yards away from the deer.

The bullet was still in 1 piece when I found it...but came apart after I dug it out.

I haven't been able to recover an XTP yet...every one has went through the deer and kept on going.

Hey amigo..

No doubt the XTP loaded properly and properly placed of course out of the M1911 will take deer. I Like XTP's and always have. Very good deep penetrating bullet. They do have their velocity limitations, but no worries there from a 45acp . ha.

I use all Hard cast bullets in my hand guns for hunting 99% of the time. The 1% that aren't HC are the XTP's. BearTooth bullets makes a very nice HC especially for the 45acp, and at 50yds it passes completly through deer out of the M1911..

Although not the gun I reccomend for deer hunting, it sure will get the job done with the right bullet/load combination and proper placement, as you have proved here as well..

I been loading the little G36 up with 7.7grs Power Pistol and 230gr bullwts for SD. I EDC an M1911 45acp, and am finding myself after allllll these years leaning toward the G29 10mm when going out the door. Never thought I'd see that day ! haha.

It probably won't last long as I am a 45 nut, and carried one waaaay to long to back out now. haha.

Those GS's in your pic look good. Very good in fact, and sure did their job.

Yeh, the WW 230gr PDX1 is a really good bonded bullet thatgets very deep penetration, and would also work well out of the 45 at short range. I sometimes do carry the PDX1 in the 45 when going out the door, if not carrying my reloads. I really like that bullet. I wish they offered it for the hand loader. Man that would be nice, especially in the shorter barreled 45's.

May have to pull a few of them and just load them "my way." haha ;)

Good post.
Good pic.

Have a good hunt this year amigo.

CM
:horse:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.