close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G35 vs G22 vs G23 for fast competition style shooting?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ORHunter79, Apr 10, 2012.

1. ORHunter79

ORHunter79

Hi,

I'm looking into getting into fast competition style shooting within the near future.

So the question is, which Glock would work the best and why.

I'm looking at getting a either a G35, G22, G23.

Thanks.

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

For fast competition style shooting... have to think the 35 would be the best. Recoil from the 23 would probably be "sharper".

Using 9mm for comparison, while there are a few who shoot a G19 in competition, the number of those who shoot a G17 or G34 are WAAAAYYYYY greater. I started with a G17 but now use a G34. I personally prefer the G34 by far.

The first question I'd ask is... why are you choosing a .40 over a 9mm? In IDPA, you'd be at a disadvantage shooting a .40. In USPSA, if you were shooting in production division you'd be at a disadvantage. Only if you were wanting to shoot Limited or L10 would .40 be better. (I say, "you'd be at a disadvantage", as few can shoot double-taps with a .40 as fast as others can with 9mm.)

If it is indeed a .40 you're looking for, I'd get the G35. If for some reason you didn't like it, you could pretty easily get a G22 via a direct trade, or sell the G35 and have enough to buy a new G22.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

3. High Altitude

High Altitude

For dedicated comp shooting I would get the long slide model.

If you are going to shoot IDPA, get a 34 and shoot IDPA SSP and USPSA Production.

If you want to get into Limited, go with a 35, shoot major etc....

Some guys will get a 35 and download the .40 to shoot in production and SSP with the rational that the downloaded .40 is the same as the 9mm, only have one gun for everything etc.. It is somewhat true, but my experience is that getting a 35 to run on bunny fart .40 is not as easy as a 34 running 9mm. In the end having two pistols is much better, 34 for SSP/Production, 35 for limited shooting major etc.....

Now if you want your pistol to do double duty for SD and competition, get a 17/22.

4. chaplain 31

chaplain 31

I'm sure my opinion isn't in the majority, but I use the same G23 for every day carry and competition. I shoot SSP in IDPA. I have a 9mm Glock also, but for some reason I shoot the medium frame 40 noticably better. I don't know why but it works for me.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Your best choice will be whichever you shoot the best.

6. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Ron is correct. Although if you load your own it changes a bit. I think 40 minor has significantly less recoil that 9mm.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. mingaa

mingaa

I'll be at an IDPA match Saturday and am taking my G22 - my reasoning is that's the gun at the front of my bedroom safe and though I already have a lot of experience shooting it the situational shooting offered by IDPA seems like good training. That said I have an eye out for a LEO trade in G17 ( I have a few 'must buys' in the hopper and my budget is never that large) - as I improve I think that gun will probably help my performance in the sport. For now I'm happy to shoot at a great club and refine my shooting with the 40 - I'm also taking 180g Federal - my SD is 155 or 165. The 180 is a little less snappy! My best 9 right now is probably the Sig 250C (long trigger, 3.5" barrel) and while I like and occasionally carry that gun it does not scream IDPA to me.

8. ORHunter79

ORHunter79

Thanks for all the advice. To answer the question as to why the .40, it's because it's what I carry, G27. The next Glock would double as my main home defense gun. I know the 9 is a softer shooter but I like the 40 more. I don't want to down load since it would double for home defense. I figure competing will compliment my practice shooting and make me a better over all shooter. Hopefully I never have to put those skills to the test, but if I do, I'd like to be as proficient as possible with the Glock I buy.

To be honest I was somewhat set on a G22, but the G35 caught my eye. Not sure if there is a a big difference between the two i.e. time between follow up shots. Maybe some of the competitors here could shed some light on that? Thanks.

9. duppyman3

duppyman3

I would say go shoot a match with whatever 40 cal you have first before buying something. It will become very clear once you get addicted to the sport why so many people run glock 34s and 17s

10. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

It is possible that your splits and transition MIGHT be slightly faster with the G22. Then again the longer sight radius of the G35 MIGHT give you the illusion of the pistol being more accurate.

Either a G22 or a G35 will serve you well for Action Pistol competitive shooting. If I had to choose one, the only reason why I would pick the G35 over a G22 is because (at least in the case of the Gen 3 models) it comes with extended magazine and slide release controls.

11. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I would say G35 but if you shoot the G23 better and it fits your hand better go with that. Some people like the G19/23/32/38 platform because it fits their hand better with the shorter grip.

:50cal:

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got them all and the 35 seems to be the answer for what you're describing. They're all great though :supergrin: