close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

G31 went kaboom tonight

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by theAlgorithmist, Mar 1, 2013.

1. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

May 13, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I was having a nice night at the range, shooting controlled triples at a Zombie target. New box of the Underwood 357 Sig FMJ's. Checked the barrel after every set of three.

First 45 went okay. Then a kaboom. My favorite gun is history.

I suppose this means it's time to move into 10mm for my hiking gun (I really enjoyed shooting .357 Sig). So, in addition to NEVER shooting Underwood again, I have some carry ammo I'm interested in getting rid of for cheap. Feel free to PM me.

I'll post a pic or two on my blog probably this weekend.

2. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

May 13, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    The hand is okay, I'm glad to report. A tiny cut on the trigger finger, but that's all.

regards,

- jim

3. NitLion

NitLion

Feb 11, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. cookand

cookand War Eagle!!

Mar 16, 2006
    Auburn, AL
    Have you contacted Underwood? I would be interested in Kevin's response.

PM sent on the ammo.

5. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Sorry to hear. Any recourse through Underwood?? I would contact them.

What exactly happened??

6. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

May 13, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I posted a review on their site, which has to go through them for 'approval.' I suppose we'll never see that one live on their site. It has my email address if they ever feel like contacting me. I doubt anything will happen, though.

In addition to checking the barrel after each set of three, I collect all my brass and noticed nothing unusual about them.

7. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

May 13, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This is the best pic. I have - hard to see but the casing looks like shredded wheat. KKM barrel, not an unsupported Glock factory. Bullet left the barrel and I think it hit the target :)

Attached Files:

8. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    Glad you're ok. From the looks of the barrel it could have been worse.:wow: The barrel had to be a little warm after that many triples.

9. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

May 13, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Not really - I loaded and then shot three rounds at a time. I paused every six to pick up brass.

regards,

- jim

10. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

Feb 13, 2007
    Aurora, Co
    This may sound like a stupid question, but why? With factory ammo why would you feel the need to check the barrel after every 3 rounds?

11. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Which FMJ version were you using? Max loads sure does not minimize the chance of this happening. That is why I stayed away from the Underwood FMJ and did not see the need to try any of their GD stuff wither. HST and GSB treat me well.

Hopefully Underwood stands behind the issue and gets your gun fixed. All my Glock .357sig barrels have superb support but they range from 04'-10' production.

12. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Feb 19, 2009
    Yeah, as long as you don't have a squib, why ever check barrel ?
    Killer recoil or what ?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. ChallengerSRT

ChallengerSRT

Jan 22, 2013
    If you're running an aftermarket barrel, why do you blame the ammo? Ever think the barrell could have been inferior? I also think it's a little weird to be checking the barrell out after every three shots. I mean, who does that unless they EXPECT a problem?

14. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    I check my slide to make sure its fully returned to battery most of the time when shooting my nuclear handloads. If its out of battery for some reason and the striker can still ignite the primer bad things happen. I'm going to rethink shooting super hot ammo in my glock now. Too many things can happen including bullet setback.

15. Exactly what I was going to say. This is not a Glock issue or an Underwood issue. OP's issue, if he thinks he has one, is with the barrel manufacturer.

16. DeLo

DeLo

Nov 10, 2011
    Southland
  17. theAlgorithmist

theAlgorithmist

May 13, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I automatically check the chamber as part of checking that the gun is cleared before I lay it down - also to ensure there are no obstructions, not because I expect a problem with the barrel. It's just a habit. I shot three at a time because it makes the practice session go by at a nice, relaxed pace.

I've also contacted KKM, but every range employee that examined at the gun tonight (included several reloaders), pointed to the ammo as the most likely suspect. Will see what KKM says.