close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G30 recoil assembly jammed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BUG'S, Apr 7, 2012.

1. BUG'S

BUG'S

Was at the range yesterday shooting Glocks & 1911's and let a buddy shoot the G30. He fired several rounds and then stopped stating "I don't think a round fired". Pulled back the slide and found just the spent brass case still in the chamber. Dropped the mag with rounds still in it and checked the barrel to ensure the barrel was clear which it was. Scratching our heads at this point as to why the spent case did not eject & the slide did not recoil back when the round was fired. Pistol did not cycle. Put G30 back together and all was well, no further issues. Field stripped at home for quick wipe down & bore snake down the barrel. When reassembling I could not compress the recoil assembly to get it back into the pistol. Noticed the spring was starting to override the round plastic RSA end (end which sits in front of slide) and has made a gouge in the plastic. A slight twist of the spring and it could be compressed again. Twist in other direction and spring binds & will not compress. Anyone else ever see this??? :whistling:

2. barth

barth six barrels

The plastic tip of my G27 gen 3 OEM plastic guide rod
    got a little chewed up at 3500+ rounds.
    I hastily reassembled and don't think it seated properly in the slide.
    Seemed like it was frozen and wouldn't compress at the time.
    I think It was mostly user error on my part.
    And the plastic was getting a little worn.
    I only shoot hot LE 357/40/9mm.
    After fooling around with it, it seemed to work unloaded.

I'm kind of an extreme guy - LOL.
    So I ordered one competition tungsten and two different stainless steel assemblies.

I could have just as easily got an OEM replacement and been fine.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

3. multo17

multo17

I have SS guide rods with factory recoil springs installed on all my Glocks, & never had any problems! I'm not a fan of plastic guide rods. I've figured you spent alot of hard earned Benjamins for you gun(s), & in my 2cents, the guide rod should at least be metal!:cool:

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I've experienced this with my original G27 guide rod and the spare I bought for it. It doesn't cause any problems, it just makes reassembling more difficult than it needs to be. The newest G26/27 guide rods have a metal washer at the muzzle end to keep the spring captured, and they have 0-8-1 on the metal base of the guide rod. There's no telling how many versions there will be before a final version is reached, or when the G29/30/36 guide rods will receive the same changes.

Here's a thread showing the new guide rod:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413323

The 0-8 designation follows the pattern of Gen4 guide rods:
    01: 22,31,35,37
    02: 17,34
    03: 23,32
    04: 19
    05: 17T
    06: ?
    07: 21
    08: Gen3/4 26,27

It's possible the 0-6 designation is going to be assigned to the 29/30/36.

5. BUG'S

BUG'S

Great little gun. Just disconcerting that the RSA may bind up at the most inopportune time. Hey worst case scenario I'll at least get 1 shot off. :wow:
    Looks like I'll be upgrading the RSA post haste.

BTW this is a brandy new G30 which has @ 300 rounds down the pipe.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I've never experienced an issue with functioning caused by the RSA, it just makes reassembly more difficult than it needs to be.

7. barth

barth six barrels

+1
    My gun never failed to function.

8. cciman

cciman

Send the RSA back to Glock with the serial number and description of your problem.

They will send you a new spring.

9. BUG'S

BUG'S

I'll call Glock on Monday.

10. Jackalo626

Jackalo626

If it gouged anything I would ask Glock to send me a new one with pictures of what ahppened in an email explaining the situation or just buy a new one if they won't and enjoy your pistol even though you had a minor setback that is not a very common one.

11. cciman

cciman

Very strange and unusual.

The way you describe it, you were still able to pull back the slide after that misfire. If the RSA had failed (or spring frozen), you should not have been able to do so.

Be careful how you assess spring compression with the RSA out of the gun, you can get an erroneous conclusion depending on how you are holding the RSA. That double spring is not a complex device.

Put the gun together, and cycle multiple times by hand. Do not cover the front of the RSA when you are putting it back into the gun-- the rod does not compress... the springs do.

If it cycle normally, it is fine.

You may have fired an underloaded round that did not have enough to move the slide. The fact that the case was not bulged would indicate that. Had the slide been immobile, and a full load fired, you would have had more dramatic results.

Were these good ammo, or reloads?

12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

My guide rod assembly on my G30 broke shortly after I got the gun. Replaced it with a Wolf steel system and never looked back.

13. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I use the Wolff in my 26s and 36, my 30 and 27 had them too when I had those guns. My 1999 DHR prefix 26 had the same problem as the OP @ about the 800 round mark. The Wolff has never failed in any of my Glocks.

14. cciman

cciman

If you hold the gun like this when trying to install the RSA, it will not work.

[​IMG]

If you try to squeeze the RSA holding it like this, it will not work.

[​IMG]

The springs compress on a fixed rod.

15. BUG'S

BUG'S

Underloaded round was my initial thought also, hence removing slide and examining barrel to ensure it was clear. The RSA did not compress when trying to put it back in the slide upon cleaning & would only compress after some manipulation. Who know it is weird. Only guessing here but maybe the RSA locked up enough to prohibit slide cycling and the resultant force of the bullet leaving the barrel moved it enough so I could cycle the slide. Case looked exactly as all the others fired; I examined it also. Gun shot fine after that & only had issue with RSA after cleaning pistol and attempting to reassemble. There was no getting the RSA in the pistol as noted above. Regardless the current RSA is a NO GO and will be getting replaced one way or another.

16. BUG'S

BUG'S

Well aware of this. I am not new to guns. I have worked on many 1911's & CZ's. Have dealt with nested springs before.

17. cciman

cciman

New to guns or not, you cannot physically nest the springs in a Glock 30 RSA, unless the center collar was damaged.

18. BUG'S

BUG'S

cciman Appreciate your input and understand what you are stating. Did not attempt to compress RSA by hand as you depicted in pics. Could not get RSA to compress during normal assembly of pistol. The confusion here is probably my not explaining well enough. The recoil spring started over riding the plastic end piece. Only by manipulating the RSA to back the spring off of the plastic piece would the assembly reinsert into the gun.

19. robs67stang

robs67stang

My G30SF does the same thing with the guide rod, not the FTE however. I have twist the spring or rotate the guide rod a bit sometimes to get it retract enough to reseat, think the end of spring gets stuck on the end of guide rod tip when removed. Gun operates fine with around 1000 rounds through. Sort of forgot about it until you posted about it, wonder if anybody else has experienced this?

20. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

I have not had any issuses like that with my G30SF.... have around 750 rounds down range with it.... works great I do have a new black stainless RSA that I have on order though and also have a spare stock one only $18 for those ... I got one from rockyourglock but it was not black and I did not care for how the end stick out of the gun when the slide is locked back... I hope then new one from Glockmeister is better ...