close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G27...What Recoil?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GicleeOne, Mar 6, 2013.

1. moonwilson

moonwilson
    Expand Collapse

I had always heard about the "savage, brutal, snappy recoil" of the .40 cal round. I was always curious about it, finally broke down and got a P229 and took it to the range. I mustered up all of my courage and touched off the first round from that mighty cannon. "Bang." Oh. That wasn't so bad. "Bang bang bang bang bang etc.". Hmm. Meh. :yawn:

Same thing with my 23. It recoils, sure. But it's no big deal. You know when the gun goes off, but it certainly isn't painful or an impediment to shooting in any way.

You want recoil? Shoot some heavy .357 through a light J-frame and get back to me. That's some brutal business. After the first time I shot .357 through my 60 Pro-Series my hand was bleeding. A .40 through a Glock is nothing compared to that.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

A perfect Talon Grips candidate!
    Congrats!

3. NDCent

NDCent
    Expand Collapse
    Socially Inept

I shoot .40 a lot, the main thing I notice is the G27 is slower, for me, to do follow up shots with. Some folks have better grip techniques than others, but multiple shots come faster for me with any other .40 caliber Glock than with the G27.

4. w4dov

w4dov
    Expand Collapse

Recoil is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I read a lot about recoil and the 27 before purchasing mine. However, when I took it to the range, I noticed no discernible difference between it and my 22.

Of course, 180gr raised the front sight a little more than the 165gr but I shot 250 rounds of this mixture and found the recoil very manageable.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Yes, recoil is subjective AND comparative AND ammo dependent. Shoot a 26 and then a 27 and you'll know which is which.

#25 cowboy1964, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. man.cave

man.cave
    Expand Collapse

IR
    U must be a beast, I have a 26 & 27. and often shoot both. U empty a mag in one and pick up the other, there is a difference. I carry the 27 my wife the 26.

#26 man.cave, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. glockman99

glockman99
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Agrip is ALOT better...Trust me on this!

8. Tazz10m

Tazz10m
    Expand Collapse
    Mod Aerator
    Moderator Millennium Member

THANKS! :supergrin:

9. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie
    Expand Collapse
    Regular Guy

There's a reason 9 is so easy to control. There's no POWER there! I'm mostly joking, but for those of us who can carry/control a .40, we like having a serious caliber that stands a better chance of putting down bad dudes. It's not worth having perfect controllability if I have to dump an entire magazine into him.

10. FireInCairo

FireInCairo
    Expand Collapse

I think people who notice it most usually have spent a lot of time with .45's or G26's before trying the G27. There is more snap, and they can tell right away. I started my pistol experience on compact and subcompact .40 caliber pistols, so the only thing I notice is that 9mm pistols feel like peashooters. :wavey:

11. drcotlar

drcotlar
    Expand Collapse

I think your point would better be stated that the shooter's response or attitude to the recoil is subjective. The actual
    recoil is absolute and measurable, ie objective. Not trying to split hairs, but the difference is important in discussions.

12. drcotlar

drcotlar
    Expand Collapse

I am not surprised at the results of your test and would expect such a result in the hands of most . I bought a 40 over a 9 (27 instead of 26) for the larger, more powerful round. I see it as a trade off.

13. drcotlar

drcotlar
    Expand Collapse

Informative and interesting perspective.

14. TTex

TTex
    Expand Collapse
    Cannon Fodder

I'm guessing this is sarcasm?
    I find the 9mm +P+ to be a little more on the ferocious side! The times I've shot 40 I didn't see what all the hype was about, but Federal 115gr 9mm +P+ turns that tame G19 into a whole nother animal!
    I generally prefer the 9 and 45, but I have no problem with the 40, it's just not my caliber of choice.
    And the 9mm +P+ makes me wonder if I'm pushing a G19 or G26 a little to far.

15. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Naw. I do have a strong grip from a lot of "hammer and dolly" custom car work, but it's just a sweet shooting gun.

I shot a .410 "pistol" my friend cut down from a full length shotgun and that is a beast.

#35 janice6, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  16. DannyB

DannyB
    Expand Collapse

The only 45's I have ever shot were full sized 1911's and a G21. Are you saying that a 40 sub-compact is snappier than a sub-compact 45?

17. Z71bill

Z71bill
    Expand Collapse

For SD - I use a quality HP in my 9MM - and do not feel that the round is lacking in power or performance.

The slight difference in stopping power (if there even is one:whistling:) between the 9 and 40 is not that big of a deal.

I will admit that part of my reasoning is because I have developed arthritus in my wrists and hands -

If I go shoot 100 rounds of .40 the next day I have a hard time tying my shoes. Shooting the same number of 9MM or .45 ACP leaves my wrists a little swollen but not as bad.

I also like the 2 extra rounds I can get in my M&P9c VS the M&P40c.

The point I was making -

It is not that the .40 recoil is so punishing that it is painful (for most) - but that extra recoil - even if you don't really feel it - increases the time between shots & or impacts your accuracy.

Does a fraction of a second really matter?

Most likely not - hope I never have to find out.

18. Kimura

Kimura
    Expand Collapse

In a perfect world, I'm with you; bigger is better. But it's not a perfect world and it's irrelevant if you can't put rounds on target at speed. Personally, I very seldom see someone shooting a Glock 27 or even a 23 that can do this. Some handle it fine without time constraints, some don't. But once you put time and accuracy constraints on them, a lot don't shoot the guns well. The increased recoil starts to play a much larger role when you have to shoot faster at smaller targets. This is what many don't take into consideration. I understand it's a trade off, but it's only a trade off if your times and accuracy are close to each other. If not, it doesn't matter.

#38 Kimura, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  19. scosgt

scosgt
    Expand Collapse

I find the recoil of my G27 and G23 to be LESS than my old service G19 and G26.
    The 9mm recoil is sharp, the .40 recoil is a push.

Even my Kahr CM40 is not much worse to shoot than a Kahr MK9, which is steel and heavier.

20. CrackerKen

CrackerKen
    Expand Collapse

I swear, there is probably someone out there who would gripe about the "harsh" recoil of a .22 LR. :supergrin:

Seriously, I have no issues with .40S&W recoil in either my G27 or my new S&W M&P Shield .40. Instead of having a 9mm and using +p or +P+, I just use .40 S&W and cut to the chase. :cool:

The last gun I used in law enforcement was a .357 mag S&W Model 19. We had to start qualifying with magnum ammo, and THAT hurt after about 180 rds in a day. With the .40 semi-auto's, no problem.